Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings Should Hire Ryan Longwell to Coach Kickers
Quote: @Scoog said:
@StickyBun said:
@Scoog said:
@StickyBun said:
@AGRforever said:
When is the last time you didnt hold your breath any time the vikings special teams was on the field. its seemed like coaches knew they could pull off a teick special team play on us at will over the past years. 
The Vikings were ranked #1 last year for special teams:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pr...s-rankings
And yet in spite of that ranking, AGR's point still stands.  There have been plenty of games lost under Priefer because his squad failed to do their basic job. So it's very hard for me to remember the last time I didn't hold my breath when our ST squad was on the field.

Sometimes, focusing on just the measurables means you come to the wrong conclusion.
How so? Other than missed FGs? Failed to do 'basic job'? I remember more good special teams plays than bad. 
Locke's inability to put the ball inside the 15. Getting fooled on fakes more often than stopping them.
lol, ok.....not really a long list.  Vikings have also fooled others on fakes. Listen, you can bag on Preifer, but he's an excellent special teams coach. Chicken shit won't get you chicken salad.

@StickyBun said:
@Scoog said:
@StickyBun said:
@AGRforever said:
When is the last time you didnt hold your breath any time the vikings special teams was on the field. its seemed like coaches knew they could pull off a teick special team play on us at will over the past years. 

And yet in spite of that ranking, AGR's point still stands.  There have been plenty of games lost under Priefer because his squad failed to do their basic job. So it's very hard for me to remember the last time I didn't hold my breath when our ST squad was on the field.

Sometimes, focusing on just the measurables means you come to the wrong conclusion.
How so? Other than missed FGs? Failed to do 'basic job'? I remember more good special teams plays than bad. 
Locke's inability to put the ball inside the 15. Getting fooled on fakes more often than stopping them.
So those items have you holding your breath?  The only things that have me holding my breath on special teams are missed field goals and extra points.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
A shot at Priefer? 

No, Priefer is the special teams coach, not a kicking coach.

Quote: @Purplewhizz said:
@Scoog said:
@StickyBun said:
@Scoog said:
@StickyBun said:
@AGRforever said:

So those items have you holding your breath?  The only things that have me holding my breath on special teams are missed field goals and extra points.
In 2018, ST cost us half a victory with 3 missed FG

In 2016, we lost 15-17 to Dallas. 7 of Dallas's points came because of a fumbled punt inside our 10
In 2016, we lost in OT to Detroit.  We had a FG blocked in regulation
In 2015 post-season, we lost to Seattle on a missed 27 yard FG
In 2015, we lost to Denver 20-23 in a game that included a missed 38 yard FG
In 2013, we lost to Cleveland 27-31 in a game that included a FG after a 30 some yard fake punt and a touchdown after locke punted only 35 yards from our 20.
Those are the games off the top of my head I remember being pissed at Priefer squad afterwards that yeah, makes me hold my breath about our special teams. They have a damn good ability to lose us close games.

@Purplewhizz said:
@Scoog said:
@StickyBun said:
@Scoog said:
@StickyBun said:
@AGRforever said:

In 2016, we lost 15-17 to Dallas. 7 of Dallas's points came because of a fumbled punt inside our 10
In 2013, we lost to Cleveland 27-31 in a game that included a FG after a 30 some yard fake punt and a touchdown after locke punted only 35 yards from our 20.
Those are the games off the top of my head I remember being pissed at Priefer squad afterwards that yeah, makes me hold my breath about our special teams. They have a damn good ability to lose us close games.
I'm with you on the missed FGs....I think we all are. But how is that the special teams coach's fault? Its not. The rest? Take a look around the league, its not so bad. And basically anomalies. A fumbled punt, a blocked FG and a fake punt in 5 years? 

I think our ST have been pretty decent overall during Priefer's tenure.  That said I don't think he's got the right mindset to develop kickers or punters, and he hasn't really developed a kicker/punter since he's got here.  I think Bailey or another veteran guy makes a lot of sense for this team, because they're already developed and they already have their confidence.  But for younger guys who need to be molded, I think that having a sub-coach that can take his abrasiveness and translate it into a more constructive form would be beneficial.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@Scoog said:
@Purplewhizz said:
@Scoog said:
@StickyBun said:
@Scoog said:
@StickyBun said:
@AGRforever said:

I'm with you on the missed FGs....I think we all are. But how is that the special teams coach's fault? Its not. The rest? Take a look around the league, its not so bad. And basically anomalies. A fumbled punt, a blocked FG and a fake punt in 5 years? 
It's the ST coach's job to provide feedback on which kickers and punters to draft and once drafted, to make them into NFL players.  We've wasted 2 fifth round picks and a 6th round pick on Carlson, Locke, and Walsh.
As for the rest, those aren't the only bad ST plays, they're just the ones that stick out in my head because of how costly they were.