Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Great Read On The USFL

Good read. I just learned more about the USFL now then I remembered from then. I didn't even start paying attention till the end. 1982-83 were blurry years if you catch my drift. I thought they had a chance. Bad leadership trying to go head to head with the NFL. 

Heard this weekend that many NFL owners in the 80s thought Trump was a nut and didn't want him owning a team. Thought he would be a destabilizing force. Too nuts to be an NFL owner, but hey....

Nothing surprising in that piece lol!

I recall  that as a fan of an NFL franchise at the time, the USFL years were frustrating for me...

But Xmas morning came when Millard, Zimmerman and AC joined us when that other league folded. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Heard this weekend that many NFL owners in the 80s thought Trump was a nut and didn't want him owning a team. Thought he would be a destabilizing force. Too nuts to be an NFL owner, but hey....
Trump and all that free rent he gets in your head. 

I followed the USFL. Probably because unlike today there was very little NFL news going on in the offseason. specially if you were a Vikings fan living near Chicago.
I tried to follow the Chicago Blitz, but when they traded the Chicago franchise for the Arizona franchise I started following the Tampa Bay Bandits. They were a fun team to watch with Steve Spurrier as their head coach.
I worked with a guy who had played at Purdue and worked part time for the Blitz, he was always trying to get me to go to games. 
It was an interesting time for Pro Football. Lots of big money for the time paid to guys to play in the USFL.