Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rookie WRs Zylstra, Beebe or Wieneke
I've heard quite a bit of praise about the talented Concordia college, CFL kid, Zylstra, going into the preseason, but he certainly hasn't shown anything in the games.  I'm not sure why he didn't play more in the last game.  Is it because he's already a lock to make the team, or is he still hurt?  Most of the second half it appeared to me that Beebe and Wieneke were out there, and both are making plays when called on.  Wieneke and Beebe are making tough catches, and Wieneke made a great play on the two point conversion that won last Friday's game.

Out of these three, who will make the roster?  I wonder if Beebe and Wieneke are PS players?  Wieneke has shown up in games just as much as anyone.  Zylstra is one built dude, and looks like a very strong target.  I just haven't seen him play, so as a fan, it's hard to know what to think.  Beebe seems like a crafty, hard working player, and I won't be surprised to see him stick with the team.

Thursday's game will be interesting to see who stands out for these young guys.  I hope to see Zylstra get some throws his way.

Thoughts?

I like all three. Wieneke probably will go to the practice squad. Beebe IMO would never get that far, a team like NE would pick him up in a second. Zylstra was getting a lot of love from defilipo early and his injury unfortunately kept him out of the first two Pre season games. I still think he and Beebe make the team so the Vikings will probably do they opposite. I like Coley as well but he is always hurt.

I think Beebe should be considered if any,  his offense and ST performances have earned him a spot.  Zylstra sounds the part based on offseason workouts,  but like they say, cant make the club from the tub so I have a hard time penciling him in.  Weineke is a very strong handed guy,  but other than that I dont that he  does anything special or has shown that he should be getting consideration for anything more than PS at this time. (and I think he is most likely the one to get through waivers to the PS if they decide to try and develop him more.  Badet is another that has made some tough catches and hung on,  that warrants consideration,  but I havent seen this "fastest guy on the roster" speed really utilitzed in a game situation,  could he be the burner that takes the top off opposing defenses?

Coley, Wright, and the other vets havent really shown anything that should make these rookies anxious, especially Wright who has been healthy but completely absent on O and my understanding is that he refused to play ST.

On Beebe, is anyone concerned that he's 5' 9" and 165#s?  Seems like he could get swallowed whole by starters in the nfl. 

Quote: @AGRforever said:
On Beebe, is anyone concerned that he's 5' 9" and 165#s?  Seems like he could get swallowed whole by starters in the nfl. 
he has most likely played his whole career as being the smallest guy on the field and made it to this point.  his size gives him an advantage in some ways.  he can get lost behind our guys and emerge anywhere.  he is a smaller target for those big guys as well so with the rules being what they are he will be harder to tackle within the rules and may cause some pause by defenders.   there have been plenty of diminuative players that have had nice careers.  I dont think we can discount him due to his size.

Oh I know he wouldn't be the first small guy to make it.  He just looks so darn tiny out there compared to what he's going to get beaten up by.  Thing is, even if he makes the 53 he would be the last man standing at WR no?  Would he even be active for games?

Quote: @AGRforever said:
Oh I know he wouldn't be the first small guy to make it.  He just looks so darn tiny out there compared to what he's going to get beaten up by.  Thing is, even if he makes the 53 he would be the last man standing at WR no?  Would he even be active for games?
if he is the primary punt returner I think he would.  they kept Sherels active and he didnt do shit for the defense.  ( I think it will depend on Beebs ability to show up in at least 2 or 3 other aspects of special teams.)

It's a shame that non of the players got a chance to play against 1st stringers.  That would really tell the tale.
Gotta trust the coaches on this decision.

i was hearing on KFan today that Beebe was getting run as a first team gunner on kick coverages... that says to me that the kid is in line for a roster spot barring any let downs tomorrow night.... or maybe they just arent having their normal 1st teamers do that this week since its the 4th game and all.... but I would say they need the work.