Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Misc. Thoughts
Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"VikingOracle" said:
Here are the things I am currently pondering:
  • Brandon Fusco:  I am guessing that got your attention for its irrelevance to the current team.  However, I am thinking about Fusco because when he switched sides (from left to right) I recall a lot of discussion on how hard it was to change side.  Perhaps that was just an excuse for his poor play (though recovering from injury was also an excuse) but it seems now that the current set of Vikings are asked to change sides frequently, play both tackle and guard (and in some instances center) without missing a beat.  Collins goes from tackle to guard, we/they talk about switching Isadora from right to left guard without any worries about how hard it si to switch sides, etc.  Also, now we regularly talk about a "swing tackle" -- one who can come in on either side as needed.  So, is the difficulty of switching side a slippery rock problem?
I think all the switching around helps the team with its depth, which is probably more valuable to them than any damage it it might do. I think Fusco and Clemmings failed more because of lack of talent than switching positions. It's rare to find an offensive lineman who actually doesn't play multiple positions early in his career.  

I agree on Tocho. I assume you're referring to PFF? It makes you wonder if they factor in the CONSEQUENCE of a bad play. For example, let's say Tocho played well on 8 out of 10 targets. He might grade out very highly. But if the two times he failed, he failed miserably resulting in touchdowns, that paints a different picture. 
I think it's pretty evident that they grade on stats not plays....if there was a stat for WTF moments we would see more defenders graded lower.

Kinda like peters....some just see his highlights anD say he's better than Waynes,   but those that watched them both know that we ended up with the better defender.
That's quite a leap there, Jimmy. I'm happy with Waynes and he might eventually be better than Peters. But you're talking about a 1st team All Pro here. Maybe they just don't see the things you see. Peters was traded due to character issues not performance. Let's hope for our sake they continue in LA. 
Not true. Unless you count constantly freelancing, getting torched by the Giants 5th WR last year, being allergic to tackling RBs and TEs and drawing awful PF flags as charecter issues.

The team was sick of him always watching the QB and falling for fakes. Looking for the splash play instead of just blanketing his guy.

And for all the INTs there's the plays where he legitimately looks to not be giving full effort. Never seen a dude so quick to completely give up once he bites on a play action pass. It's like he knows exactly where the cameras are and wants to make sure he's not in the frame while his assignment is trotting into the endzone. Like if we fans didn't see him blowing his assignment maybe it didn't happen. Here in KC we like to call him Asshat.

Quote: @"FSUVike" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"VikingOracle" said:
  • Brandon Fusco:  I am guessing that got your attention for its irrelevance to the current team.  However, I am thinking about Fusco because when he switched sides (from left to right) I recall a lot of discussion on how hard it was to change side.  Perhaps that was just an excuse for his poor play (though recovering from injury was also an excuse) but it seems now that the current set of Vikings are asked to change sides frequently, play both tackle and guard (and in some instances center) without missing a beat.  Collins goes from tackle to guard, we/they talk about switching Isadora from right to left guard without any worries about how hard it si to switch sides, etc.  Also, now we regularly talk about a "swing tackle" -- one who can come in on either side as needed.  So, is the difficulty of switching side a slippery rock problem?
I think all the switching around helps the team with its depth, which is probably more valuable to them than any damage it it might do. I think Fusco and Clemmings failed more because of lack of talent than switching positions. It's rare to find an offensive lineman who actually doesn't play multiple positions early in his career.  

I agree on Tocho. I assume you're referring to PFF? It makes you wonder if they factor in the CONSEQUENCE of a bad play. For example, let's say Tocho played well on 8 out of 10 targets. He might grade out very highly. But if the two times he failed, he failed miserably resulting in touchdowns, that paints a different picture. 
I think it's pretty evident that they grade on stats not plays....if there was a stat for WTF moments we would see more defenders graded lower.

Kinda like peters....some just see his highlights anD say he's better than Waynes,   but those that watched them both know that we ended up with the better defender.
That's quite a leap there, Jimmy. I'm happy with Waynes and he might eventually be better than Peters. But you're talking about a 1st team All Pro here. Maybe they just don't see the things you see. Peters was traded due to character issues not performance. Let's hope for our sake they continue in LA. 
Not true. Unless you count constantly freelancing, getting torched by the Giants 5th WR last year, being allergic to tackling RBs and TEs and drawing awful PF flags as charecter issues.

The team was sick of him always watching the QB and falling for fakes. Looking for the splash play instead of just blanketing his guy.

And for all the INTs there's the plays where he legitimately looks to not be giving full effort. Never seen a dude so quick to completely give up once he bites on a play action pass. It's like he knows exactly where the cameras are and wants to make sure he's not in the frame while his assignment is trotting into the endzone. Like if we fans didn't see him blowing his assignment maybe it didn't happen. Here in KC we like to call him Asshat.
Forget the 21 interceptions, if he's always blowing his assignment and falling for fakes, it makes you wonder why QBs have nearly stopped targeting him. Yet his targets have gone down each year. A writer recently said comparing Cousins to Keenum that "owners lie all the time, but they don't lie with their checkbooks." I sorta think QBs don't lie with their targets either. And if he's always getting torched it makes you wonder how he could still have the most passes defensed in the league the last three years, and over that same period, why he leads the NFL in passer rating against...it boggles the mind. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"FSUVike" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"VikingOracle" said:

Forget the 21 interceptions, if he's always blowing his assignment and falling for fakes, it makes you wonder why QBs have nearly stopped targeting him. Yet his targets have gone down each year. A writer recently said comparing Cousins to Keenum that "owners lie all the time, but they don't lie with their checkbooks." I sorta think QBs don't lie with their targets either. And if he's always getting torched it makes you wonder how he could still have the most passes defensed in the league the last three years, and over that same period, why he leads the NFL in passer rating against...it boggles the mind. 
Because he is immensely talented.  But just not consistent.  He has the talent to play in the NFL at a high level, but because he is a glory hound, he at times abandons the defense for his own glory.  And as Coach Zim hammers on constantly, players need to do their job.  If a player is limited, but consistent, you can build a game plan around that.  But if he is excellent with occasional awful, it is hard to depend on that. 

IMO that was Kalil's biggest flaw.  He had the talent, but wasn't dedicated enough to study and work to be consistent.  He was good enough to leave on an island, but a few times a game, that island became atlantis.  That kills a team more than an average at best always needing help guy.

Quote: @"VikingOracle" said:
I think the injury was Fusco's demise and it took him to long to recover.  He does start for another team right now but can't remember which one.  He was a late round gem that we developed.  He was pretty darn good before the injury - IMO
  • Tocho:  So Tocho was the highest rated Viking in the Denver game which (finally) make me question that whole site.  Yes, he had an interception and a deflection that turned into an interception but I thought he looked terrible (especially on the TD passes).  He is the one player I thought bought a ticket out of camp. 
I'm pretty sure PFF over values Int's and that washes out a bad play or two.  He had the one Int and forced another with very good coverage...PFF may have given him credit for both thus increasing his overall grade.  After rewatching the game twice ( i know sad) Tocho had a nice run stop and another pass defensed so obviously inconsistent but I saw some talent for a 7th round draft pick and he was practice squad last year so maybe back on this year.
  • Special Teams:  If I was a non-all american college player with pro aspirations, I would play special teams in college and look to play on a college team with a good special teams coach.  A lot of positions on this team is going to be decided based upon special team ability.  Just remember Everson Griffen played special teams.  I think it will be the fatal flaw of K. Wright.  There is just too much depth on the current team so decisions will be made based on special team play.
  • Cornelius Edison:  He is a living example of the adage, "when opportunity knocks, answer the door."
When I did watch the game a total of 3 times I did concentrate on the OL.  To me, at least, I though he was just OK.  But maybe because I was so surprised by Collins (LT and Guard), O'Neill at RT, and Isidora at Guard that I kind of overlooked Edison.  I saw him miss a couple assignments and get beat a few times.
  • O'Neill and Collins:  I watched them a lot during the Denver game and came away impressed anc confident that the Vikes have build some depth at the tackle position.  But, wow, the drop off after them was staggering and sobering.
Both looked awesome to me as well.
  • Other players who impressed me: Eric Wilson -- seemed to be everywhere.  Sherels -- he just played well from what I can see.  Bower: preseason is Bower time.  Sloter -- it seems to me the coaching staff now understands why Sloter was cut by Denver -- I have read that he is unimpressive during practice but he just has it when it is game time.  Makes for a tough evaluation.  I hope he gets to play with the 2s for a better measurement stick.
  • Zimmer:  It is funny thinking about how many times he was passed over for a head coaching position.