Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Training camp has been trial by fire for Vikings rookie tackle O’Neill
In Saturday night’s practice under the lights at TCO Performance Center, Minnesota Vikings rookie Brian O’Neill had several impressive first-team reps in which he either slowed down a skilled pass rusher or showed his quickness and athleticism.But on one particular play, he was late getting his hands in position and Brian Robison promptly smacked them out of the way en route to a (non-contact) sack.

That has been the story of camp for O’Neill as he learns on the job while trying to make a push for the starting right tackle position. The former Pitt standout has learned that one of the biggest adaptations rookies have to make in NFL training camp is dealing with those bad moments.
“Coming in that’s one of the first five things Pat Elflein ever told me,” O’Neill said Tuesday. “I was talking to him about the biggest differences. He said, ‘you probably didn’t get beat in college, especially in practice. My biggest thing here was, I’m going to get beat, but in camp that’s the place for it. Take it, learn from it and get better from it. You’re still going to get beat again tomorrow and the next day, but being able to take that realize that he’s not just beating you, he’s beating other guys too.'”
The key to handling losses?
“Being able to understand that this is our first seven days, so being able to constantly build so it’s better Day 10 than it was Day 9, better Day 11 than it was Day 10,” O’Neill said. “Try to keep things in perspective and not get caught up on how you got beat and got yelled at.”
Over the first week-plus, O’Neill has split first-team reps with Rashod Hill, who is listed as the team’s starting right tackle on the unofficial depth chart released on Tuesday. That means routinely going up against star pass rusher Danielle Hunter.
“Danielle Hunter is really good,” he said emphatically. “Being able to go against a guy like that is only going to help me — and obviously the guys inside are no joke either. As a young player coming in, you can’t really do anything but appreciate having an opportunity like that because on Saturday [against Denver] we’re going to see some talent players. Being able to see it every day, our goal is to make practice harder than the games are going to be. Hopefully it will make the transition to the games a little smoother.”
http://www.1500espn.com/vikings/2018/08/...le-oneill/

Maybe these reps that the young guys are getting on the O-line with starters out will bear fruit moving forward. Trying to look at the bright side.

When the time is right I would love to hear from Pops some insights on the development of this kid.  I'm sure Brian is having some major impact in the development of the young talent.  Hopefully we can hear about it when he has a pro-bowl season, soon I hope.     

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
Maybe these reps that the young guys are getting on the O-line with starters out will bear fruit moving forward. Trying to look at the bright side.
nothing bad can come from younger guys getting reps against better talent... the only down side is the loss of reps by the starters,  but I think Remmers being out early last year really helped Hill and IIRC the year before a OG was limited and Sirles got a lot more reps in that camp so its certainly a plus if they are called upon later in the season when the practice reps are more limited in quantity and quality.