Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PA was saying how improved Mackensie Alexander is...
Is having a very strong camp to-date...Seems much more at ease and having fun. 

And Laquon Treadwell is poised for a 3rd year breakout. I hope that both are true, but I want to see it translate to actual games before getting too excited.  

so lets say that is the case... who are our CBs this year?   Rhodes and Waynes are locks,  no way they give up Hughes,  thats 3.   Hill is sounding like a steal and is cheap so there is 4.  Alexander is the only option we have so far for the slot...thats 5.   Newman?  do we carry 6 CBs (10 total DBs) this year?  Do we bump a back up S in favor of vet that although still plays hard, had been exposed at times in coverage and has already stated that this is his last season?  Sherels?  is this the year his pitbull like lock on the roster (for his ST services) is broken?

This roster is going to be very interesting as it comes together over the next 4 weeks.

Good stuff, but it will all crash and burn without a decent offensive line. Fingers crossed.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
so lets say that is the case... who are our CBs this year?   Rhodes and Waynes are locks,  no way they give up Hughes,  thats 3.   Hill is sounding like a steal and is cheap so there is 4.  Alexander is the only option we have so far for the slot...thats 5.   Newman?  do we carry 6 CBs (10 total DBs) this year?  Do we bump a back up S in favor of vet that although still plays hard, had been exposed at times in coverage and has already stated that this is his last season?  Sherels?  is this the year his pitbull like lock on the roster (for his ST services) is broken?

This roster is going to be very interesting as it comes together over the next 4 weeks.
Rhodes, Waynes, Hughes are locks. Alexander is close to a lock. From reports Hill is very impressive, Sherels is still #1 punt returner and #1 gunner.  I think they both make the team. That is 6. I think the same 4 safeties as last year make the team.  Newman is the guy on the bubble. Do they keep 11 DBs?  maybe, at the cost of a LB or DE. It could come downn to one of Newman, Brothers, Weetherly,Bowers

Part of me wonders if Newman knew/knows he wouldn't make the team this year. Maybe he decided to give it one last shot to see if he could run with the kids, but if he doesn't make it... at least he made whatever guaranteed money he has thus far.

To me (and this is just my uninformed opinion), he's not the kind of guy who wants to quit. He seems to be a fighter who is going to have to be told to go home.

If both Alexander and Treadwell emerge this season it will completely change how that 2016 draft is perceived. Brothers, Weatherly, Morgan and Kearse are still on the team as well. 

I think it comes down to how much value Newman brings at Safety and if anyone else threatens Sherels STs roles.

Didn't I read that Newman was taking some reps at Safety in OTA's?

Quote: @1VikesFan said:
Didn't I read that Newman was taking some reps at Safety in OTA's?
yes,  it seems he was taking reps because Sendejo (?) was out for some reason.