Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sendejo helmet alterations

That's hilarious. The amount of blown calls in what I caught from the hall-of-fame game were enough to sour that rule already and we barely got preseason started.

The kids got a sense or humor.  Who knew?

My favorite new rules is if the QB dives head first you also can't touch him.

Lawyers ruined everything. Just make it a touch game.

EDIT: Not saying safety shouldn't be a priority, but by definition this game is violent and dangerous. Trying to take that away changes the very game itself. 

This is probably simple man's logic, but: when I did this run called "Tough Mudder" a few years back, I had to sign tons of paper work releasing them from liability. Why not go that route? All these athletes would still line up for this career, even knowing the consequences.

If there are any lawyers here, I'd legit be interested to hear their take on that idea. 

Quote: @KingBash said:
Just make it a touch game.
KB, I mentioned this very point years ago on this board, originally in jest.  I predicted that in my lifetime QB's would wear a flag.  Every time one of these rule changes is discussed by the NFL, I think I was psychic! Wink 

Quote: @KingBash said:
This is probably simple man's logic, but: when I did this run called "Tough Mudder" a few years back, I had to sign tons of paper work releasing them from liability. Why not go that route? All these athletes would still line up for this career, even knowing the consequences.

If there are any lawyers here, I'd legit be interested to hear their take on that idea. 
The NFL could do a lot to protect itself from future liability (liability to players who are not yet injured) by coming clean about what it knows about football, CTE, and concussions. And it can fund R&D and sponsor entities working to create safer helmets, pads, tackling techniques, etc.  Put aside the fact that there may be a new round of lawsuits if the NFL discloses it had knowledge of things where it has been claiming otherwise. 
Then we have the issue of waivers.  It would not be hard to come up with a comprehensive waiver. Would you still get lawsuits by players claiming they did not know of the danger and the NFL should have done more to publicize it? Sure. And maybe some who will claim that because of their financial situation they really had no choice. But such lawsuits are unlikely to be major problems. 
The big problem comes when the NFL publicizes how incredibly dangerous it is to play football and parents decide not to let their kids play.  This could threaten the continued existence of the game.  Isn't that what the NFL is really concerned about?  Personally, I think that concern may be a little overblown or at least a bit premature. But the reports say that we are already getting fewer kids participating in football. I don't think it has reached a critical point. Not yet.