Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Anybody ever flown Norwegian Air
Quote: @quattrovike said:
It cant possibly be worse than Spirit Airlines.....I swear they would charge you for taking a piss or breathing too much while in flight if they could.
Lol. My friend was just telling me that she used Spirit airlines and they didn't load her bag on the plane. 

Quote: @Vikergirl said:
@quattrovike said:
It cant possibly be worse than Spirit Airlines.....I swear they would charge you for taking a piss or breathing too much while in flight if they could.
Lol. My friend was just telling me that she used Spirit airlines and they didn't load her bag on the plane. 
In fairness. ...that happens quite often on many airlines .

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Vikergirl said:
@quattrovike said:
In fairness. ...that happens quite often on many airlines .
I know it just happened to be the airline discussed here that's why I mentioned it. Although I have heard other negative things about Spirit airlines.

Airline travel is amazingly.......good. I've been a business traveler for 25 years. Its very safe and they overwhelmingly get you where you want to go on time. I've had my luggage lost only once, but got it returned the next day. My complaint is the trend to make seating smaller. Bathrooms smaller. I'm not a massive person (6'1", 185 lbs.) but the space they are using now for people to move around in is ridiculous. If you get a big person sitting next to you it sucks. They are all over you. Dealing with the airport and parking also stinks.

Its really the whole process of air travel after 9/11 that has made it more difficult. It was completely different before that, much easier and more relaxed. If you travel on discount airlines like Spirit, the experience is definitely worse. I don't take discount providers, but on the very few times I've had to, Allegiant Air is the best.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Airline travel is amazingly.......good. I've been a business traveler for 25 years. Its very safe and they overwhelmingly get you where you want to go on time. I've had my luggage lost only once, but got it returned the next day. My complaint is the trend to make seating smaller. Bathrooms smaller. I'm not a massive person (6'1", 185 lbs.) but the space they are using now for people to move around in is ridiculous. If you get a big person sitting next to you it sucks. They are all over you. Dealing with the airport and parking also stinks.

Its really the whole process of air travel after 9/11 that has made it more difficult. It was completely different before that, much easier and more relaxed. If you travel on discount airlines like Spirit, the experience is definitely worse. I don't take discount providers, but on the very few times I've had to, Allegiant Air is the best.
Bingo, I remember the days of Continental, Allegheny and Eastern.  Choice between steak and seafood, smoking and the booze flowed from takeoff to landing.  Used to fly out of Orlando, and folks were in a good mood or dead tired.  Monday first flight were quite with sleeping kids and sunburnt parents Fridays were party time.  Had one flight with a group of Canadians they had stuffed the diaper bags with Labatts and were sharing with the back of the plane.        

question for those that flew back in the days where anything went and the airlines were decent compared with the security and cramped planes..... in todays world, which would you prefer?  would people sacrifice the additional security for ease in/out of the airport and being able to travel without the baggage restrictions?  I dont know how expensive it was back then compared to today,  but IMO its pretty spendy now unless you are flying out of a major airport and its kind of a rip off except for the time savings... really a no frills experience anymore in coach.

I don't think the real costs and discomfort have anything to do with additional security, it just they have a market where there is no limit to how bad you can piss off the customer before they go elsewhere.  There were a lot of hijacking and terror acts in the 70's, 9/11 was used to drum up the paranoia.  One shoe bomb dud and now we all have to stand in line and remove our shoes.  Don't know if I would remove all the security, but I wish we could get back some of the ease.  Oh and the smoking sure covered up a lot of the rest room odors, that was kinda nice. 

On a side note look up the story about Alan Funt being hijacked to Cuba.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/candid...hijacking/ 

Quote: @BigAl99 said:
I don't think the real costs and discomfort have anything to do with additional security, it just they have a market where there is no limit to how bad you can piss off the customer before they go elsewhere.  There were a lot of hijacking and terror acts in the 70's, 9/11 was used to drum up the paranoia.  One shoe bomb dud and now we all have to stand in line and remove our shoes.  Don't know if I would remove all the security, but I wish we could get back some of the ease.  Oh and the smoking sure covered up a lot of the rest room odors, that was kinda nice. 

On a side note look up the story about Alan Funt being hijacked to Cuba.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/candid...hijacking/ 
i dont think it was as much about the one shoe bomb dud cranking up the restrictions as much as it was the nut job muslims that took 4 planes and turned them into anti building missiles.  we were standing in line before the shoe bomber IIRC,  it was just a more random shake down where as now everybody gets the same "thorough" treatment... because you know... profiling is wrong.  I do remember the random getting pulled aside at the gates as I was typically the guy that got pulled aside... not sure why,  maybe its because I used to be nervous of flying so I would stay in the smoker box until the last minute and then running up to the  gate and I am usually one of the bigger guys in the crowd.... talk about profiling.

The shoe bomber Richard Reid was the begining of the shoe thing, Dec of 2001, about same time.