Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CJ Ham
I like this kid and so does the team. 5'11", 236 lbs. Decent hands. Strong and just a smidge of wiggle. The Vikings interestingly changed his designation this year from FB to RB. I wonder if they get rid of the FB this year so they can add another position to the game day roster. Cook, Murray and Ham might be the RB group with no FB. I think that would be smart as Ham can handle some RB carries if needed and he'd be the de facto FB in any plays that called for it.

i said this in the offseason with the hand wringing over not having a 3rd RB on the roster worth a crap.  everybody loves Ham....well maybe not those one guys and those guys over there,  but most of us love ham!

Ham can be called anything they want. It doesn't mean he brings the same skill set as Cook and Murray. If one of them guys goes down for a few games even. Ham is not a replacement. He has a place on the team. Still need depth at RB even with him.

Quote: @suncoastvike said:
Ham can be called anything they want. It doesn't mean he brings the same skill set as Cook and Murray. If one of them guys goes down for a few games even. Ham is not a replacement. He has a place on the team. Still need depth at RB even with him.
Your #3 RB isn't a world beater, he's a cheap roster spot. Ham can do both a RB/FB role. Check out any team's 3rd string RBs and you'll see what I mean. Not saying they are going that route, just saying it would make sense. Especially on a team who's cap space is getting smaller by the month. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@suncoastvike said:
Your #3 RB isn't a world beater, he's a cheap roster spot. Ham can do both a RB/FB role. Check out any team's 3rd string RBs and you'll see what I mean. Not saying they are going that route, just saying it would make sense. Especially on a team who's cap space is getting smaller by the month. 
I'm not sure what their plan will be. I just feel Ham plays like a FB. I think one of the young RB's will make the roster for cheap depth. Ham will be used alot like last year. Maybe a few more touches. That's all I'm saying. We needed both McKinnon and Murray last year. Have to be ready for that situation.

@StickyBun said:
@suncoastvike said:
I'm not sure what their plan will be. I just feel Ham plays like a FB. I think one of the young RB's will make the roster for cheap depth. Ham will be used alot like last year. Maybe a few more touches. That's all I'm saying. We needed both McKinnon and Murray last year. Have to be ready for that situation.
We used both backs, but we didn't need to. McKinnon just signed a big contract to be THE RB on the 49ers, could have done exactly the same last year here in Minnesota. 4 years, $30 million says he's going to be touching the ball a ton. Remember, the only reason they signed Latavius Murray in the offseason was they had no idea Dalvin Cook would be dropping to them. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@suncoastvike said:
@StickyBun said:
@suncoastvike said:
We used both backs, but we didn't need to. McKinnon just signed a big contract to be THE RB on the 49ers, could have done exactly the same last year here in Minnesota. 4 years, $30 million says he's going to be touching the ball a ton. Remember, the only reason they signed Latavius Murray in the offseason was they had no idea Dalvin Cook would be dropping to them. 

Probably right. Murray was going to be the starter before the draft.

@StickyBun said:
@suncoastvike said:
@StickyBun said:
@suncoastvike said:

Probably right. Murray was going to be the starter before the draft.
Who knows, really. But I'm just trying to put 2 and 2 together because of the designation change for Ham. Might not be anything at all like I'm guessing. And remember that McKinnon kind of had a rep of leaving yards on the field. He wasn't a super instinctive RB as having played college QB.

Ham ran like a FB because that's what the team asked him to do last year.  He is a solid 3rd option with all the tools to fill multiple roles.

He is a pretty good blocker and he has deceptive movement. Call him a FB, well he blocks his guy and usually is on top of his assignments. He does what he's asked there well. His ability with the ball combined with that blocking ability and pass catching ability makes him a throwback type of weapon in our offense. 

Remember John Madden getting excited when a defense got burned forgetting or refusing to cover the FB ? CJ Ham seems like that type of player. He'll do his job, and he's got the ball skills and running ability to win in space.

... i may be a little biased though ... you know... C.J Ham being the Adam Thielen of Northern Minnesota and all...  B)  It's been incredible up here watching this guy make the team and grow into a role player. Never imagined the first player from Duluth to break through would last this long with the team and become such a solid player. Hell, there are 31 other teams.... to do it here, it's pretty special.