Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Helmet Rule Could Make NFL Unrecognizable
The new helmet rule, announced earlier this year, continues to cause headaches—even though there are currently no games being played and this is the NFL's dead season. Deadspin and Pro Football Talk both did pieces examining the new rule this week, but it actually isn't getting enough attention from football fans this offseason. Except for nerds like me.
That's because the rule will force the NFL to face a level of uncertainty it hasn't seen in decades.
No one can say what NFL football will look like next season. Not the players. Not the coaches. Not the league. Not the media. No one.
In speaking to players and assistant coaches this week, there's extreme confusion about the rule. Several coaches said they still don't know exactly how it will be officiated. Two players said the same.
But it's not just the fact that they don't understand it that makes it a big deal. It's how much of an impact the rule could have. It's not an exaggeration to say this is potentially one of the biggest rule changes in the history of the sport. The same league that has spent years trying to figure out what a catch is will now police helmet location in a sport that moves ridiculously fast.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2783...ce=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

The game seems different every season. This could be the biggest change we've ever seen. My guess is that lots of fans will be unhappy.

This was an unnecessary rule change...they've had rules all along about leading with the head,  they just rarely enforced them and never on the offensive players.  If the refs wont/don't enforce the ruled it wont matter how many they make.

I think what they are trying to do is ultimately save the sport. Concussions and CTE will eventually ruin more lives and if they can't slow its cause, there won't be a NFL at some point. I think the only way the NFL survives long-term is to change and in a way that may be somewhat unrecognizable from the game we knew 10 years ago. Its a brutal sport that is dangerous to the brain, even in high school. Football athletes today are bigger, faster and stronger and so are the collisions.

Read this story and tell me how the NFL can continue in its present form long-term:

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/opin...story.html

The Conspiracy Theorist in me says it’s another way to control who wins games. Make the right/wrong call at the right time and boom, you have a new winner.

While that was said, tongue in cheek, it will most likely be used by some fan of some team to explain how they got screwed yet again.
I mean, they let the Packers hold, why not call or not call a helmet placement penalty?

Quote: @StickyBun said:
I think what they are trying to do is ultimately save the sport. Concussions and CTE will eventually ruin more lives and if they can't slow its cause, there won't be a NFL at some point. I think the only way the NFL survives long-term is to change and in a way that may be somewhat unrecognizable from the game we knew 10 years ago. Its a brutal sport that is dangerous to the brain, even in high school. Football athletes today are bigger, faster and stronger and so are the collisions.

Read this story and tell me how the NFL can continue in its present form long-term:

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/opin...story.html
or they are trying to give the impression that they are doing what they can to avoid future lawsuits.  this way they can say they were doing everything they could to protect their players.

instead of penalties on the field,  i would rather see fines (real fines, not bull shit like we normally see)  and game suspensions.  this way the hits can be evaluated properly and not making snap decisions in the moment and likely unjustly penalizing teams.  of course if its egregious then definitely they should take action in the game,  but if it questionable keep the flag in the pocket and let the office make the call on monday. 

Another option for the refs to give the Packers an extra win or two.