• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings amp up spending in quest for Super Bowl
Quote: @"suncoastvike" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"suncoastvike" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said: 
@"suncoastvike" said:
@"ATXVIKE" said:
They say "you win in the trenches"...I just wish we had found better OL players through the draft. That's the only thing other than Cousins we tried to scalp. Our D is likely complete and deserving of some amount of unabashed praise. But we need to address the OL in the draft. I know we got a OT who seems like  big time project (2nd) rd. Other than Kahlil 2012 we haven't spent another 1st rd pick...Bryant McKinney was the nearest in 2002. That's ridiculous!
Not only does it look that bad drafting so few for so long. Other positions we constantly chase bite us in the a$$. Since 2002 we have drafted 5 QB's or WR's 1st round that were not even worthy of extending passed their rookie contract with this team. Threadwell might be the the 6th if he doesn't get it. I doubt many would argue he's lived up to a 1st so far. That and traded another 1st for a QB no longer on the team as well. That's alot of wasted opportunities.  The only one we got anything out of was Percy Harvin. Thank god the Seahawks were there to save us. I believe that pick was used to get Rhodes there was a score.
In fairness we got our first and more back from harvin and Teddy woukd have certainly gotten another contract if it weren't for an unforseen catastrophic injury, and it's really not pertinent to bring up anything prior to the Wilfs amd Spielman as that's a completely different organization.
Sure I agree. Nothing we did 10-15 years ago has any bearing on today. I was going for the dangers of chasing the next big thing mentality that usually never works. Offensive lineman are not sexy picks. They're just nessisary to a good team. All the Troy Williamson's and Ponder's of the past are irrelavent to this team. Even if Teddy had not gotten hurt there wasn't enough evidence yet he woud have been great...imo. We got a very good team now. Talented and deep. Except a few positions. What we need is a little luck. Which as a long time fan I've nearly quit believing in or hoping for.
Would we have this talented and deep team if we had used those picks on offensive linemen instead of the defensive studs we do have?  Maybe maybe not.  Imo it's more important to note how many hits overall we get from those picks and not the fact that they weren't spent on a certain  position.  No gm gets them all right and every team has a lack of something. ...many are a lack of quality olinemen,  even ones that have spent first round picks on the position. 
Yep
I'm not complaining just observing. This defense was a mess 5 years ago. We got good value lately no doubt there. I think as Vikings fans we are so used to bitching about something that when we have very little to b**** about we tend to look for things and make mountains out of molehills

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"suncoastvike" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"suncoastvike" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said: 
@"suncoastvike" said:
@"ATXVIKE" said:
They say "you win in the trenches"...I just wish we had found better OL players through the draft. That's the only thing other than Cousins we tried to scalp. Our D is likely complete and deserving of some amount of unabashed praise. But we need to address the OL in the draft. I know we got a OT who seems like  big time project (2nd) rd. Other than Kahlil 2012 we haven't spent another 1st rd pick...Bryant McKinney was the nearest in 2002. That's ridiculous!
Not only does it look that bad drafting so few for so long. Other positions we constantly chase bite us in the a$$. Since 2002 we have drafted 5 QB's or WR's 1st round that were not even worthy of extending passed their rookie contract with this team. Threadwell might be the the 6th if he doesn't get it. I doubt many would argue he's lived up to a 1st so far. That and traded another 1st for a QB no longer on the team as well. That's alot of wasted opportunities.  The only one we got anything out of was Percy Harvin. Thank god the Seahawks were there to save us. I believe that pick was used to get Rhodes there was a score.
In fairness we got our first and more back from harvin and Teddy woukd have certainly gotten another contract if it weren't for an unforseen catastrophic injury, and it's really not pertinent to bring up anything prior to the Wilfs amd Spielman as that's a completely different organization.
Sure I agree. Nothing we did 10-15 years ago has any bearing on today. I was going for the dangers of chasing the next big thing mentality that usually never works. Offensive lineman are not sexy picks. They're just nessisary to a good team. All the Troy Williamson's and Ponder's of the past are irrelavent to this team. Even if Teddy had not gotten hurt there wasn't enough evidence yet he woud have been great...imo. We got a very good team now. Talented and deep. Except a few positions. What we need is a little luck. Which as a long time fan I've nearly quit believing in or hoping for.
Would we have this talented and deep team if we had used those picks on offensive linemen instead of the defensive studs we do have?  Maybe maybe not.  Imo it's more important to note how many hits overall we get from those picks and not the fact that they weren't spent on a certain  position.  No gm gets them all right and every team has a lack of something. ...many are a lack of quality olinemen,  even ones that have spent first round picks on the position. 
Yep
I'm not complaining just observing. This defense was a mess 5 years ago. We got good value lately no doubt there. I think as Vikings fans we are so used to bitching about something that when we have very little to b**** about we tend to look for things and make mountains out of molehills
Did I say that...lol. I'm getting old and cranky at the same time.