Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
7 late-round 2018 NFL draft picks likely to exceed expectations...
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...ns-in-2018
Colby Gossett, OG, Minnesota Vikings
Drafted: Round 6, No. 213 overall out of Appalachian State.

Analysis: Gossett offers a better combination of size and strength than most of the guards on the Vikings' roster and he showed at Reese's Senior Bowl practices in January that he might be able to acclimate to the jump in competition faster than expected. I expect Gossett to quickly move up the depth chart in camp and become a starter, perhaps as early as this season.

Gossett is probably my favorite pick from our draft, but those are some pretty lofty expectations. You don't typically find guys with his size, strength, athleticism and Senior Bowl performance still available in the 6th round. But maybe that's the result of the incredible interior line class pushing good players down.

He's got some other notable fans out there...

From Jon Ledyard...
It says a lot about this class that Gossett, one of my favorite day three picks, is the last interior offensive lineman in my rankings. What I love about Gossett is that he is already an experienced zone blocker with the range and movement skills to get to the second level and perform tough cut-off blocks. He’s also NFL-ready in terms of power, size and length, which will cut down on the transition time until he’s ready to play.
But Gossett needs built almost from the ground up in pass protection, as he’s unrefined in his technique and posture. App State’s run-heavy approach didn’t give him a ton of reps, and Gossett was often overextended and worked around easily by adept rushers. He has the traits to be a terrific developmental piece with starting upside, but if you can’t pass protect in the NFL, you’re a liability.
Ideal Scheme Fit: Zone-heavy in the run game. In pass protection, Gossett needs time to be able to sync his hands and feet before he can be trusted in true 1v1 situations, especially on deep drops by the quarterback.

https://twitter.com/LedyardNFLDraft/stat...4009105416

https://twitter.com/MoveTheSticks/status...3796164609

https://twitter.com/TheJoeMarino/status/...0743170048

It is much more likely that Gossett spends at least one year as a backup. I really cannot see him starting this year absent injuries.

Quote: @"dadevike" said:
It is much more likely that Gossett spends at least one year as a backup. I really cannot see him starting this year absent injuries.
Hard not to agree but it is one of the more exciting picks for a viking nerd. hes big and thick with good feet. I could easily see him surpassing Fusco in overall career performance and if he can learn pass pro he could become a steal

I watched a few practices and whatever I could find on Youtube, but I hadn't actually sat down with a roster sheet and watched the Senior Bowl until yesterday. 

I'm only about midway through the 2nd quarter and I got good news and bad news. The bad news is that Brian O'Neill was awful. DeMarcus Love-level bad. He looked like a tight end trying to play tackle, which is exactly what he is. I expected to see him get bull rushed into the pocket, which I did. I expected to see him struggle to move people out of the way in the run game, which I did. What I didn't expect was how frequently he failed to finish a block and was left standing around with the play ongoing around him. Guy runs like a deer so he's got a chance, but the Vikings have their work cut out for them. He needs at least a year in the weight room, about another 20 lbs of muscle and anchor weight and some serious coaching before anyone's going to trust him to not get our QB killed. In a good tackle year, I say this guy would've been a 4th or 5th rounder. 

The good news is that Colby Gossett was spectacular. If I didn't know better, I would've said this was the 2nd round pick and O'Neill was the 6th rounder. An absolute bulldozer in the run game and not bad in pass pro either. Nice feet, runs really well. I read the NFL.com draft profile and after watching him play more, I would say the exact opposite of what they said. Vikings may have gotten a real steal here.

I was curious about how a guy like this drops to the 6th round, so I looked up how the tiers of guards went in the draft. Interestingly, after the glut of guards went between 20 and 40, there was not another pure guard taken until pick 166, late in the 5th round. A couple more went in the 6th, signaling that the 2nd tier was beginning, and that's when the Vikings moved on Gossett. Also interesting is that two of those three were power guards and not zone guards. 

Any truth to the reports th@"MaroonBells" said:
Quote:
I watched a few practices and whatever I could find on Youtube, but I hadn't actually sat down with a roster sheet and watched the Senior Bowl until yesterday. 

I'm only about midway through the 2nd quarter and I got good news and bad news. The bad news is that Brian O'Neill was awful. DeMarcus Love-level bad. He looked like a tight end trying to play tackle, which is exactly what he is. I expected to see him get bull rushed into the pocket, which I did. I expected to see him struggle to move people out of the way in the run game, which I did. What I didn't expect was how frequently he failed to finish a block and was left standing around with the play ongoing around him. Guy runs like a deer so he's got a chance, but the Vikings have their work cut out for them. He needs at least a year in the weight room, about another 20 lbs of muscle and anchor weight and some serious coaching before anyone's going to trust him to not get our QB killed. In a good tackle year, I say this guy would've been a 4th or 5th rounder. 

The good news is that Colby Gossett was spectacular. If I didn't know better, I would've said this was the 2nd round pick and O'Neill was the 6th rounder. An absolute bulldozer in the run game and not bad in pass pro either. Nice feet, runs really well. I read the NFL.com draft profile and after watching him play more, I would say the exact opposite of what they said. Vikings may have gotten a real steal here.

I was curious about how a guy like this drops to the 6th round, so I looked up how the tiers of guards went in the draft. Interestingly, after the glut of guards went between 20 and 40, there was not another pure guard taken until pick 166, late in the 5th round. A couple more went in the 6th, signaling that the 2nd tier was beginning, and that's when the Vikings moved on Gossett. Also interesting is that two of those three were power guards and not zone guards. 
Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:

MB,
Any truth to the rumors that ONeill is only about 275 despite what they list him at? Might explain the difficulty he is having holding his own against larger and stronger DLineman. If that is true, it really screams of a reach by Rick when they passed on quality lineman in the first who could've contributed immediately. I bet that Gossett does see the field first while O'Neill gets a redshirt season to develop. I worry about teams that try to manufacture weight and strength on lighter players. I guess we will have to wait at least a year to see if it works.

Quote: @"TBro" said:

MB,
Any truth to the rumors that ONeill is only about 275 despite what they list him at? Might explain the difficulty he is having holding his own against larger and stronger DLineman. If that is true, it really screams of a reach by Rick when they passed on quality lineman in the first who could've contributed immediately. I bet that Gossett does see the field first while O'Neill gets a redshirt season to develop. I worry about teams that try to manufacture weight and strength on lighter players. I guess we will have to wait at least a year to see if it works.
No, he weighed in at 6-6, 298 at the senior bowl, and then again 6-6-297 at the combine, so that's where he appears to be holding, but it's probably not natural weight, since he was 255 lbs just two years ago. 

all this has me thinking Matt Kalil ceiling = {

@MaroonBells...your take on O'Neill made me throw up a little in my mouth...the more I think about this draft, the less I like it...I was warming to the Hughes pick when Waynes and Newman were up in the air, but that played out to be a sham...incomprehensible to me that we filled a potential need a season or two away and ignored an immediate need...hopefully Gossett wins the RG and Remmers sticks at RT...