Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mike Hughes’ college coach says Vikings’ top pick can play slot corner
Former University of Central Florida head coach Scott Frost – now with Nebraska – told the Twin Cities media he believes Hughes can play outside or inside.
“We didn’t play him in the slot much, we tried to match him up on the best receivers we were playing,” Frost said. “Played them into the boundary, the quarterback’s right, wherever we thought we needed to take someone away. He’s perfectly capable of playing all three corner spots if there’s three on the field and I think he’ll prove that.”
In his only season as a regular, Hughes posted tremendous numbers. When opposing quarterbacks threw in his direction, they came away with just 34 completions on 65 attempts and a 44.5 quarterback rating.
http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2018/0...ot-corner/

The Vikings’ new corner has the right combination of size, strength, quickness and physical play to slide into a nickel role. At 5-foot-10, he is one inch taller than former slot corner Captain Munnerlyn. At the Combine, Hughes was a top performer at his position with 20 reps. Munnerlyn did 19 in 2009.

great in space, quick feet, long arms and can close quickly. 

Sounds like a perfect guy to play well on the inside

Every college coach is singing praises about their former players this time of year,  it kind of gets hard to even read and find any meaning in it.   

I think it was Zim that said dont tell me about the labor...show me the baby. 

Thats pretty much where I am at with all these newbies,  what they did in the past that got them drafted (or signed as a FA) is moot, their football career just hit reset,  very little of what they have done in the past means jack shit anymore.  They are on the outside looking in and will have to prove they belong.  Its exciting as hell to think about the potential,  but as a fan we have seen way more busts than successes.  August can not come soon enough for me.

I live in Nebraska. Spielman's kid plays for Nebraska, and he is pretty good. And Frost is the former UCF coach and new head coach at Nebraska. I suppose most know about the connection. I can assure you, they had several conversations before the draft. So I was not surprised to see  Hughes taken early. I believe he will be a special player for the Vikings. And even though it often takes a year or so to adapt to the pros, he's smart and should pick things up fast.