Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1st round history of Vikings O Lineman taken in 1st round
1968 Ron Yary Tackle USC (1st overall),1970 John Ward Tackle Oklahoma St (25th),1974 Steve Riley Tackle USC (25th),1988 Randall McDaniel Guard Arizona St (19th),1994 Todd Steussie Tackle California (19th),1995 Korey Stringer Tackle Ohio St (24th),2002 Bryant Mckinnie Tackle Miami (7th),2012 Matt Kalil Tackle USC (4th)
All have been Tackles selected except McDaniels who was a guard.

That's kind of depressing.  Yary was solid and McDaniel was one of my favorite Vikings of all time.  Ward did more after being switched to DT, but he still didn't do much.  We all love Korey.  McKinnie was arguably our biggest embarrassment (not only the love boat, but also being sent home from the Pro Bowl team.)  How the heck do you get cut from the Pro Bowl team?

Wow very cool that you even knew that about Ward

Quote: @"willbjammin" said:
Wow very cool that you even knew that about Ward
yeah, I remember Viking stuff from 40 years ago, but have no clue what I ate for dinner two nights ago.  I think they tried Ward at DT after Sutherland was gone. I seem to remember him breaking his leg and disappearing after that. Probably about the time we drafted James “duck” White.

Fortunately draft history is on the internet.   I don't remember the old drafts nor what I ate yesterday Wink

I don't think the history has any bearing on today's draft really but it's cool to see.

Quote: @"twgerber" said:
Fortunately draft history is on the internet.   I don't remember the old drafts nor what I ate yesterday Wink

I don't think the history has any bearing on today's draft really but it's cool to see.

I would say the history of our drafts since Spielman took over has bearing - at least predictive.

Yea some bearing - since 2012 anyway

Quote: @"twgerber" said:

Agree. The game has changed. Staffs have changed. Opinions have changed. Needs evolve. It was just last year that Rick Spielman admitted that his opinion on where offensive linemen should be drafted has changed. Because of the new offenses, guards who can move have more value. Because guys like Von Miller line up on both sides, right tackles who can pass block have more value than they used to. 

I also think that too many fans think their team is going to do something nobody could have predicted--a BPA that surprises everyone. But BPA drafting is the biggest lie in the NFL. Sure, it happens. But when it comes right down to it, teams usually stick to their greatest needs. It's why teams feel so confident moving ahead of other teams, or down and still get their guy. They have a pretty good idea of who needs what. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"twgerber" said:

Agree. The game has changed. Staffs have changed. Opinions have changed. Needs evolve. It was just last year that Rick Spielman admitted that his opinion on where offensive linemen should be drafted has changed. Because of the new offenses, guards who can move have more value. Because guys like Von Miller line up on both sides, right tackles who can pass block have more value than they used to. 

I also think that too many fans think their team is going to do something nobody could have predicted--a BPA that surprises everyone. But BPA drafting is the biggest lie in the NFL. Sure, it happens. But when it comes right down to it, teams usually stick to their greatest needs. It's why teams feel so confident moving ahead of other teams, or down and still get their guy. They have a pretty good idea of who needs what. 
But the Vikings, in the past 5 years, have never agreed with outsiders who declare that OL is their greatest need. They did so - grudgingly IMO - in 2012 and picked Kalil, and that wasn't a smashing success. I'm pretty sure that if the Vikings have a list of needs going into this draft, OL is not at the top.