Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GM Spielman says Vikings are not ‘locked in’ on O-line in first round
Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
no way should they go WR that early unless they really have doubts about Diggs.  Cousins already has 2 of the best WR at his disposal,  a soild pass catching TE in Rudy, and a pretty dynamic RB who catches the ball well out of the back field.  We often talk about wanting to find early round guys that will contribute early on,  with 4 solid targets already in the lineup,  and a QB who is known to spread the ball around,  what kind of value are we going to get out of a receiver at 30?  we talk about paying 2 LBs top tier money,  how would be be able to justify paying Diggs and Theilen  close to 25 a year combined and be taking a WR in the first round?  If they were to take a receiver early I would have to say that really would speak to me about AT or Diggs not being in the long term plans.

Nothing you say is wrong, but I'm thinking WR is a possibility just from history and the desires of our GM. Spielman has been trying to add speed for some time, at least back to Mike Wallace. I believe he wanted Will Fuller in 2016. Now we also have an OC who wants to stretch the field (as the Eagles did with Torrey Smith) and a QB who likes to throw some long bombs.
Imagine DJ Chark is still on the board at 30. He's got blow-the-top-off-the-defense speed, Will Fuller speed but in a 6'3", 200 frame - and he's from LSU, which some scouts now think is "WR U". 
Can Diggs and Thielen and Wright get deep? Sure, sometimes - but they are all better in the medium range. Put a deep-ball threat on the field and all those guys get less coverage, too.
Then add in the possibility Diggs and his agent (Leveon Bell's agent) are telling the Vikings he needs a contract like Sammy Watkins.
I'm not predicting it, but I definitely think Spielman finds a fast WR far more appealing in the 1st round than a RG. I bet he picks a WR in the first 3 rounds.

Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
no way should they go WR that early unless they really have doubts about Diggs.  Cousins already has 2 of the best WR at his disposal,  a soild pass catching TE in Rudy, and a pretty dynamic RB who catches the ball well out of the back field.  We often talk about wanting to find early round guys that will contribute early on,  with 4 solid targets already in the lineup,  and a QB who is known to spread the ball around,  what kind of value are we going to get out of a receiver at 30?  we talk about paying 2 LBs top tier money,  how would be be able to justify paying Diggs and Theilen  close to 25 a year combined and be taking a WR in the first round?  If they were to take a receiver early I would have to say that really would speak to me about AT or Diggs not being in the long term plans.

Nothing you say is wrong, but I'm thinking WR is a possibility just from history and the desires of our GM. Spielman has been trying to add speed for some time, at least back to Mike Wallace. I believe he wanted Will Fuller in 2016. Now we also have an OC who wants to stretch the field (as the Eagles did with Torrey Smith) and a QB who likes to throw some long bombs.
Imagine DJ Chark is still on the board at 30. He's got blow-the-top-off-the-defense speed, Will Fuller speed but in a 6'3", 200 frame - and he's from LSU, which some scouts now think is "WR U". 
Can Diggs and Thielen and Wright get deep? Sure, sometimes - but they are all better in the medium range. Put a deep-ball threat on the field and all those guys get less coverage, too.
Then add in the possibility Diggs and his agent (Leveon Bell's agent) are telling the Vikings he needs a contract like Sammy Watkins.
I'm not predicting it, but I definitely think Spielman finds a fast WR far more appealing in the 1st round than a RG. I bet he picks a WR in the first 3 rounds.
I do have to admit that Chark is a very tantalizing option. 

Quote: @"AGRforever" said:

Again we better have at least one OL in the first three. 

At least 4 people have said the same thing...but don't you remember saying that for about 5 years now? And our OL usually was "bolstered" by David Yankey, TJ Clemmings, or Willie Beavers. I'm not trying to be a pessimist, but keep your expectations modest. Spielman has never used early draft picks to build the OL, and our line was actually better in 2017 than it has been since at least 2012, so why do you think he will be drafting linemen now??

I think 30 is just way too high for Chark.  I'd put him in the bottom 1/2 of the 2nd through the 3rd.  I really like him as a punt returner option for when its time to part with Sherels.  I don't like that he's sitting below 900 yards and only has 3 TDs.  I need my 1st round receivers to dominate their competition.  I don't like that he's a big time body catcher.  I don't like his ability in contested catches.  It seems like a lot of his "contested" deep balls the DB is hanging around but doesn't really know where the ball is and Chark can flat footed body catch it.  I do like his ability to catch balls that come in over the shoulder.  I think he's the type of guy that will make some hay on deep 9s where he clearly beats the DB to the ball, but I think he'll struggle being the deep threat people hope he'll be because he needs to get better at high pointing the ball and going up and getting it in contested situations.

I do think he'd provide a good compliment/inspiration to Treadwell, and we could really use a deep threat.