• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Isaiah Wynn Coming Off Torn Labrum Surgery
Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Jor-El said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Jor-El said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
Don't forget the name Connor Williams. They like him a lot. 

Williams could be one of those "Dan Marino" picks - considered a top 10 player until his last season, then a setback, overanalyzed by scouts, and slipped in the draft to give some team a steal.
Question: if the Vikings picked Williams, who played only LT throughout college, would they move him to RT, or consider moving Reiff to the right side?
They'd put him at right tackle. It's not unusual for college left tackles to start out on the right in the NFL (Tyron Smith, Nate Solder), even if they project long term on the left. 

And you don't move Reiff. You'd worsen both positions by doing that. Contrary to what many believe, he actually played better on the left in Detroit. And he had a helluva year last year.  

I do agree about Reiff, and know he was less effective when the Lions moved him to RT. It's more that I see some difficulty in projecting Williams to RT...true, many switch without trouble, but some struggle with it. It would be an easier projection if Williams had ever played on the right or been a swing tackle. But I'm probably just feeling skittish because of the challenges we had moving TJ Clemmings around...
I don't think Clemmings' struggles were due to the side he was on. It's just not a big deal unless you switch them mid-career or switch them back and forth.

I don't know this for sure, I would love to find a stat on this, but I would bet that a clear majority of the right tackles starting in the NFL were left tackles in college.
NCAA RT's are either NFL RT's or Guards the majority of the time. NCAA LT's either stay at LT or become RT's the majority of the time. 

Clemmings issue was an overall lack of awareness picking up anything other than the man in front of him. He also had severe balance issues that led to him lunging and playing off-balance from the snap. 
I was curious about this so I looked up a ranking of top RTs in the NFL in 2017. Here's what I came up with for the top 6, which is all I have time for...but pretty sure this pattern follows for the rest of the list

1. Lane Johnson played left tackle his final year at OU. 2, Mitchell Schwartz was a left tackle at Cal3, Daryl Williams played mostly right tackle at OU4. Bryan Bulaga was a left tackle at Iowa5. Demar Dotson was a DT in college, didn't play O line at all. Total project that worked out. 6. Ryan Ramczyk was a left tackle. 

Ramczyk is ranked 6th after his Rookie year. Played only 1 season of top level NCAA Football, first two years were D2. Was injured when drafted.

In what way other than some bad snaps, not entire games, does the far more D1 experienced, older and healthier McGlinchey rate below Ramczyk, Maroon? 

Not that it matters as he will go far earlier than you arw projecting.

Quote: @FSUVike said:
Ramczyk is ranked 6th after his Rookie year. Played only 1 season of top level NCAA Football, first two years were D2. Was injured when drafted.

In what way other than some bad snaps, not entire games, does the far more D1 experienced, older and healthier McGlinchey rate below Ramczyk, Maroon? 

The answer to that question would take me about a month, so I'll just say this. Because A is C, does not mean B is also C.

And I haven't predicted anything for McGlinchey other than I think he's overrated as a top 15 pick, he got beat a lot at left tackle, and that it wouldn't surprise me at all if he dropped to #30. But would I be tempted to take him there? Damn right I would, because I too believe that he, like Ramczyk and Conklin, should be better on the right. But he gives me pause. There are about 5 players in this draft who don't. 

The idea that McGlinchey could fall is not an unconventional take...

https://twitter.com/Gil_Brandt/status/98...5631280128

https://twitter.com/RosterWatch/status/9...5473681408

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@FSUVike said:

The answer to that question would take me about a month, so I'll just say this. Because A is C, does not mean B is also C.

And I haven't predicted anything for McGlinchey other than I think he's overrated as a top 15 pick, he got beat a lot at left tackle, and that it wouldn't surprise me at all if he dropped to #30. But would I be tempted to take him there? Damn right I would, because I too believe that he, like Ramczyk and Conklin, should be better on the right. But he gives me pause. There are about 5 players in this draft who don't. 

The idea that McGlinchey could fall is not an unconventional take...

https://twitter.com/Gil_Brandt/status/98...5631280128

https://twitter.com/RosterWatch/status/9...5473681408
Yikes!!  Hopefully McGlinchey thought he had help on the inside, because otherwise that is TJ Clemmings class of ugly.