Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paying Kirk Cousins will make the Eagles’ model tough for Vikings to follow
Speaking at the Combine on Wednesday, Spielman reiterated what he said at the Super Bowl: The Vikings planned their salary cap to fit a big contract for a quarterback.

A closer look at the Vikings’ cap reveals that, indeed, they can fit contract extensions for star players Danielle Hunter, Stefon Diggs, Anthony Barr and Eric Kendricks.
But there is one area that would become much more challenging for the Vikings if they do pay Cousins the recently reported price of $90 million guaranteed over three years: Free agency.
Even with the core of a 13-3 team in place, the Vikings would be restricted in other areas where they could add free agents.
While spending in free agency doesn’t always result in big win totals, one team that built a significant part of their roster through the UFA market is the Philadelphia Eagles.
Between the 2016 and 2017 offseasons, the Eagles signed the following key players:
  • QB, Nick Foles ($1.6 million cap hit in 2017)
  • RG, Brandon Brooks ($6.6 million)
  • RB, LeGarrette Blount ($1.3 million)
  • LG, Stefen Wisniewski ($1.4 million)
  • CB, Patrick Robinson ($775k)
  • DE, Chris Long ($1.9 million)
  • WR, Torrey Smith ($4.9 million)
  • WR, Alshon Jeffery ($10.8 million)
The Eagles nailed the under-the-radar signings like Wisniewski, Robinson and Long, but they still had around $30 million on the cap between those players – and several like Brooks, Foles and Jeffery have bigger cap hits in 2018.

CBS Sports’ Joel Corey broke down the Eagles’ salary cap prior to the Super Bowl. He pointed out that Philadelphia had an even distribution with $60.59 million devoted to offense and $60.67 million on defense. Corey wrote:
Quote:“Philadelphia subscribes to the view that football starts in the trenches. A little over 45 percent of Philadelphia’s offensive cap charges are devoted to the offensive line.
It’s money well spent. Pro Football Focus recently tabbed Philadelphia’s offensive line as the best in the NFL. Lane Johnson is easily the NFL’s highest-paid right tackle with the five-year, $56.25 million extension (worth up to $60 million through salary escalators) containing $35.5 million of guarantees he signed in 2016. He has the second biggest 2017 cap number for a right tackle at $9,755,961.”
http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2018/0...gs-follow/

Minnesota’s formula for determining how much to offer Cousins will have to figure in some of the other key needs they have and how those might be filled.
For example: Would the Vikings rather have Cousins or sign Panthers free agent guard Andrew Norwell and Seattle free agent Sheldon Richardson? Would they rather have Cousins or top nickel corner Aaron Colvin and versatile guard/tackle Justin Pugh?
Or do they feel those positions can be filled with draft picks or savvy signings? The Vikings are very adept at handling the salary cap and several of their biggest area of need – offensive line – is also a strengths of this draft. So it’s possible they could still sign Cousins and add impact players, just not ones of the caliber of Alshon Jeffery or Brandon Brooks.
At the NFL Combine, head coach Mike Zimmer expressed concern about maintaining and increasing the roster’s overall strength to spend big on a QB
“You just have to pick out the right one that’s going to help your football team the best,” Zimmer said. “And where you can still do things at other positions. You don’t want to go crazy here.”
The Vikings are in the “final four” runners for Cousins’ services. The question is whether they have a certain number in mind that can be topped or if Minnesota will go all-in for the top free agent QB.

First of all, I don't want Cousins at $90 million guaranteed.  If that's really what he wants- he can go play for a loser and get max money.  
Second of all, Philly's plan only works if we devote about half our offensive money to the OL... and about 50% of our total cap money on each side of the ball.  Without looking, I'm guessing that our defense eats up about 60-70% of our overall cap money.  Philly was balanced; Zim has made it clear that he prefers imbalance: that the defense be the strength... and the offense do just enough to win.  I love Zim, but until he realizes that he needs a better than average offense (dare I say, "good"?), we're going to continue to be almost good enough.  I'm not saying that Cousins is the answer; but I am saying that simply "strengthening" the defense every year is not the answer either.

Defense is not going to win championships consistently, only as an anomaly. Good, consistent QB play is required. Whether that's getting a guy like Cousins or going with one of the three available, I don't know. I'm not personally in love with some of Zimmer's recent comments, but I'm just a dumb fan who's beyond tired of the late season failures. I do believe that Zimmer is a master at defense, but when you play against the elite of your conference in the playoffs, you need more than that. 

I hope they figure it out and the team is a force once again this upcoming season.

Phillys system only works because they aren't paying a QB top dollar.  Same with several other teams....they played good to great when they didn't have to pay their young stud QB but as soon as they committed the going rate to their passer their ability to retain the other part of the equation started to slip and so did their success.

Any player that says they want to play for a winner and then goes for a huge contract is completely full of shit.  In a capped league the best teams will be the ones that get their great players to buy into this concept.  The team has to spend,  they just don't need to spend it all on 1 or 2 positions. 

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
Phillys system only works because they aren't paying a QB top dollar.  Same with several other teams....they played good to great when they didn't have to pay their young stud QB but as soon as they committed the going rate to their passer their ability to retain the other part of the equation started to slip and so did their success.

Any player that says they want to play for a winner and then goes for a huge contract is completely full of shit.  In a capped league the best teams will be the ones that get their great players to buy into this concept.  The team has to spend,  they just don't need to spend it all on 1 or 2 positions. 
Hence the greatness of Tom Brady: he allows team to spend money elsewhere.

Quote: @"pumpf" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:

Brady is the best game manager in a fantastic offensive system ever in the NFL. Bellichick formatted the perfect offense for a guy that is perfect for that offense... if you get my drift.

Quote: @"pumpf" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:

I would almost bet everything I have that Tom Brady ends up with a partial ownership stake to make up for all the money Kraft hasn't had to pay him during his career..

I don't think between Brady and Giselle, they're eating Velveeta very often. 

It is estimated that Brady earns $8 million in endorsements, which include deals with Under Armour and UGG Boots. CelebrityNetWorth puts Tom Brady's career net worth at $180 million, which is far from his wife Gisele Bündchen's $380 million in her respective career as a super model.Feb 5, 2017