Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interior Lineman Draft Prospects at 30
If you make any comparison at all to Mucho Kerplop  I vote a pass

Quote: @kahsmick said:
Will Hernandez is a name I would throw into the mix as a guy who starts Year One at LG or RG.
He might be there at #30, but with OL needs being what they are, I could see him snapped up before then too.
He doesn't fit the current Vikings system unless the new O-Coordinator reimplements a man to man blocking scheme. Good prospect though. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
We have a ways to go until the draft but I am not super excited about the interior D-line class, which leads you to believe the Vikings may end up paying for an UFA or banking on Jaleel Johnson's progression. 

Three names to watch along the O-line are: 

1. Isaiah Wynn - The bad thing is that I think he'll end up going in the early to mid 20's. There are a lot of guard hungry teams before the Vikings end up on the clock.
2. Kolton Miller - Highly technical OT with good feet. I don't think many would hesitate to project him as a future LT. He could slide it an RT from day one but would have to earn it competing with Remmers/Hill. Probably would give the line the most flexibility. 
3. James Daniels - Still a bit under the radar but your typical Iowa O-lineman. Technically clean and athletic. He isn't the strongest guy but fits what the Vikings want to do with their interior lineman. He easily can get of blocks and get to the second level. Day one starter at either left or right guard. 

But to the points made above, they do need to bring in another pass rusher as well. 

1. Harold Landry - BC played him as both a stand up LB and put his hand in the dirt. Has good bend at the point of contact and relies heavily on an external dip move. Has the size/speed to make an impact from day one but will continue to develop his pass rushing arsenal. 
2. Arden Key - Although this would not be a conservative pick considering his off the field baggage, he'd be coming into a strong locker room. Key has all the measurable's you look for and when he flips the switch looks like a top 10 pick. Motivation is likely and issue along with some conditioning concerns. But if you wanted a player Zimmer and the defensive staff could mold into a monster, he likely has the most upside. 
I agree that addressing DT through FA makes a lot of sense. Generating interior pressure would mess with quick passing QBs and create more opportunities for the edge players to finish plays. I don't think it's a coincidence that Hunter's sack totals fell when the line wasn't generating interior pressure. That being said, Griffen is 30 and had a foot injury this year and Robison is getting towards the end of his career, so adding another edge rusher would be a very wise thing to do. Our DL didn't suffer any major injuries this year, but they clearly wore down as the season went on and better depth/rotation would help keep them performing throughout the playoffs.

As for OL, we could stand to upgrade at LG, RG, and RT. I think that RT is the biggest of the needs, since I think we need more from that position, but do have good depth with Remmers and Hill. But Remmers could swing inside to RG and solidifying RT could make it so our QB doesn't need to run around like Keenum did this year. I'd like a more athletic LG who can get out to block on screens, but if we address that it would probably need to be an opportunistic scenario where a good player slid to us in the 3rd or 4th round.

Isaiah Wynn - G - BulldogsPro Football Focus writes that Georgia G Isaiah Wynn won 80 percent of his battles in one-on-one drills for pass protection at the Senior Bowl.
The "win" is somewhat subjective, but anyone who saw videos of the 6-foot-2, 308-pound guard in Mobile is aware of just how dominant he was. Wynn also graded as the highest-rated run blocker at the Senior Bowl, so it's pretty clear he can charge off the ball or handle interior pass-rushers. Wynn has easily worked himself into first-round consideration at this point.