Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roger Staubach, Drew Pearson hope Vikings’ miracle play makes up for 1975 Hail Mary
Roger Staubach visited the Twin Cities several years ago and wasn’t treated kindly.
It was Staubach who threw the (in)famous Hail Mary 50-yard touchdown pass to Drew Pearson in the waning seconds on Dec. 28, 1975, enabling the Dallas Cowboys to defeat the Vikings 17-14 in an NFC divisional playoff game at Metropolitan Stadium.
“I went up to speak at a luncheon and I got booed,” Staubach said.
The hall of fame quarterback will be back in Minnesota for the Feb. 4 Super Bowl at U.S. Bank Stadium. Now, there is reason for him to believe he might be treated better after the Vikings defeated New Orleans 29-24 on Sunday at U.S. Bank Stadium with a Hail Mary of their own.
https://www.twincities.com/2018/01/15/ro...hail-mary/

Worst part of that day (arguably) was hearing Tarkentons father passed away, following that whole Drew Pearson / orange and whisky bottle throwing disaster.

THAT is when I knew I'd be a Vike fan for life.

Quote: @Vanguard83 said:
Worst part of that day (arguably) was hearing Tarkentons father passed away, following that whole Drew Pearson / orange and whisky bottle throwing disaster.

THAT is when I knew I'd be a Vike fan for life.
yah, that was tough news  I remeber feeling bad for Tark in the midsts of my game result despair...

Rumor was he heard it from one of the press / reporters.

imagine...after suffering the professional defeat...getting hit with the personal one, from someone you don't even know.

I made the Vikes my team for life that day. Loved watching Tarkenton play, but that day sealed the deal for me.

I was already a Vikings fan by the time this game was played. It was the day I started hating the Cowboys and everyone who plays for them.

I don’t hate Staubach the person, but I do hate Staubach the Cowboy. Same goes for Drew Pearson.

That game left me very bitter against the Cowboys, all the way up to this present day.  The push off that Pearson got away with.  Any time I hear someone refer to them as America's team, I want to spit in their face.  

I never really hated those pre-Jerry Jones Cowboys.  Hated the officiating but the Tom Landry Cowboys era at least had some class.  I really dislike the Saints much more than even the Jones era Cowboys.

When I first moved to Arizona and that was way before the Cardinals relocated here,  everyone in southern Arizona was a Cowboy fan...no exceptions.  lol  Believe me, when in high school they found out I was from Minnesota and a die-hard Vikings fan, it was on.  The number of arguments and bashing was uncanny.  Sometimes on occasions, fists flew too.  No wonder I hate the Cowboys so much.

Quote: @Vanguard83 said:
Rumor was he heard it from one of the press / reporters.

imagine...after suffering the professional defeat...getting hit with the personal one, from someone you don't even know.

I made the Vikes my team for life that day. Loved watching Tarkenton play, but that day sealed the deal for me.
Yup...heard it watching TV following the game.  From Snopes.com...

"Sadly, the nightmare wasn’t over for Fran Tarkenton. As he sat in a trailer in the parking lot of Bloomington’s Metropolitan Stadium commiserating and watching the telecast of another playoff game, he learned, on what was already quite possibly the worst day of his life, that his 63-year-old father, the Rev. Dallas Tarkenton Sr., had suffered a heart attack and passed away while watching the Vikings-Cowboys game on TV with his other two sons at home in Savannah, Georgia."

Quote: @Purplewhizz said:
I never really hated those pre-Jerry Jones Cowboys.  Hated the officiating but the Tom Landry Cowboys era at least had some class.  I really dislike the Saints much more than even the Jones era Cowboys.

Yup.  I don't hate Drew Brees, but Payton is scum.  Him and Carroll...both should be banned from the NFL.