Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coach Mike Zimmer makes it clear: 'I like this team'
Vikings coach Mike Zimmer has plenty to be proud of as the Vikings enjoy a bye week to open the playoffs.
The Vikings defense has shown steady improvement in four seasons under head coach Mike Zimmer and defensive coordinator George Edwards.
In Zimmer’s first season as head coach, 2014, the Vikings defense ranked 11th in the NFL in fewest points allowed and 14th in fewest yards allowed.
In 2015, the Vikings improved to fifth in points allowed and 13th in yards allowed. Before 2015, the last time the Vikings ranked in the top 10 in fewest points allowed was 1998.
Last season the Vikings were sixth in points allowed and third in yards allowed.
Going into Sunday’s game against the Bears, the Vikings defense ranked first in the NFL this season in fewest points allowed and fewest yards allowed. In their 23-10 victory over the Bears, the Vikings held Chicago to 201 yards and 12 first downs and no offensive touchdowns. The Vikings held the Bears to 30 yards rushing — minus-1 yard in the first half.
The Vikings limited Bears running back Jordan Howard to 9 yards in nine carries. Howard entered the game fifth in the NFL with 1,113 yards rushing. In the first meeting between the teams this season — in Week 5 on Oct. 9 — Howard rushed for 76 yards in 19 carries. In that game, a 20-17 victory by the Vikings that started an eight-game winning streak, the Bears rushed for 115 yards and 274 yards in total offense.
“It was a good team win today,” Zimmer said. “I thought we played exceptionally on defense, the two goal-line stands.”
http://www.startribune.com/coach-mike-zi...467464903/

“I like how this defense plays,” Zimmer said. “They’ve got a little chip on their shoulder. They play hard and physical and they play well together. Defensively, any time you can be No. 1 in the league in scoring defense and third downs, you’re doing something right.”
The last time the Vikings ranked first in both fewest points allowed and fewest yards allowed in the same season was 1970, and they also did it in 1969. In 1971, the Vikings allowed the fewest points and were second in fewest yards allowed.

Zimmer credits the players and front office for the successful season.
“We’ve continued to add depth,” Zimmer said, then praised Executive Vice President Rob Brzezinski, assistant General Manager George Paton and General Manager Rick Spielman. “I can’t say enough about our front office guys. The guys we’ve added in the draft. The guys we’ve added in free agency. A lot of guys have come up and played well.”
Zimmer said he has been pleasantly surprised.
“The improvement in the offensive line has been huge,” he said. “Case Keenum. Trae Waynes. Andrew Sendejo has played outstanding. You know, you could go on and on and on about a lot of these guys. Eric Kendricks has had a great year. [Anthony] Barrhas played well. Guys keep stepping up and making plays, and that’s what you need to do if you’re going to win 13 games.”

When I watched the post game locker room speech, I thought I caught a bit of a catch in Zim’s voice when he was saying how proud he was of the team. Maybe not, but maybe.

I think he loves this team and they love him back.

Quote: @Riphawkins said:
When I watched the post game locker room speech, I thought I caught a bit of a catch in Zim’s voice when he was saying how proud he was of the team. Maybe not, but maybe.

I heard that as well...  sounded like some "fatherly love" when he was addressing the team.  I hope we can keep this magical season going and check off that final box.  Zimmer, these players, and us fans deserve it.

BOOM

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@Riphawkins said:

I heard that as well...  sounded like some "fatherly love" when he was addressing the team.  I hope we can keep this magical season going and check off that final box.  Zimmer, these players, and us fans deserve it.

BOOM
Just one, I only need one in this lifetime...