Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heave sob, sniffle...
Vikings coaches Pat Shurmur, Mike Priefer address possible head coaching futuresShurmur was named in an ESPN poll as one of the most likely coordinators to land a head coaching spot next season. A long-time offensive coordinator, Shurmur has only received one shot at being a head coach. He won nine games over two seasons in 2011 and 2012 with the Cleveland Browns.

On Thursday, Shurmur addressed reports that he could end up in one of the upcoming job openings.
“Fortunately I’ve had that opportunity in the past and learned a lot from it,” Shurmur said. “But you just stay in the moment. What we’ve done here to win the division is very hard to do and we want to take this thing as far as we can and that’s certainly my focus.”
On the possibility of Shurmur getting a second chance on the sidelines, Mike Zimmer said:
“I think he’s been adaptable, people have seen the improvement in the offense. Most places that are looking for head coaches probably want somebody to work with the quarterback and be able to develop a quarterback. And he’s had the opportunity to work with a few there. That part is probably what’s making him an attractive candidate.”
Special teams coordinator Mike Priefer hasn’t been named as a possible head coach, but the Vikings’ success might also bring attention his way. Priefer filled in for Zimmer on the sidelines last season in a game against Dallas when the Vikings’ head coach underwent emergency eye surgery.
http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2017/12/vikings-coaches-pat-shurmur-mike-priefer-address-possibly-head-coaching-futures/

Well, all I can say is that hopefully we can be like the Pats, who just keep on keeping on after their coordinators are snapped up for HC gigs. That's a pretty lofty task but I think we have good in-house candidates to replace Shurmur, Edwards and Priefer if it comes to that. Honestly though, the love for Shurmur is real and I think he's going to be getting his shot this offseason. Edwards and Priefer....hmmm...not sure on that one. Wouldn't hiring Edwards be akin to our hiring of Chilly?? HC calls the plays instead of the coordinator? Sure didn't work for us but who knows...

I think this also falls into the "good problem to have" category & maybe the Zim coaching tree is just starting ?

This is bittersweet. Great coaches but also more great coaching possibilities on staff. Don't go full on Eeyore just yet PF. This season is still in progress. Also Coach Zimmer is proving himself as an old school coach that can still learn new things. Look at what he has learned and done through the changes and adversity.