Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thinking out loud re: Vikings QB's
Quote: @purplefaithful said:
I'd rather have a healthy Bradford over Keenum or Bridgewater. Are his days here or a QB anywhere over?

That dude has dropped off the face of the planet. It's like a mafia snubbing. 
Bradford is done.  The media has turned to Case vs Teddy in their desire for a QB controversy and so Bradford is old news.

Zim said Bradford spent a bunch of his own money looking for solutions.  That tells me this is likely the end and he just wanted to make sure.

As to Teddy v Case, hard to say.  I have my gut feeling the team will roll with Teddy if they are satisfied with his recovery.  I just think he is a better QB than Case who has really improved the last few weeks.  But I think someone will throw crazy money at him to make him their solution at QB and the Vikings will be content to roll with TB.

Quote: @Montana Tom said:
Bradford is done as a Viking.  You'll never, ever see him suit up again in purple.  Because of his now chronic knee issues, it would make more sense for him to retire, after grossing over $100mm in his playing career.  He hit the lottery already, regarding NFL contracts, multiple times.  He probably already has permanent knee damage that will haunt him in later life.  The uncertainty about his knees would create a lot of uncertainty for any team to risk much on a contract, other than perhaps a grossly incentive-laden contract.  Look at the contract AD ended up with...after getting what..$14-17mm from the Vikings, he got what...$1mm plus incentives from the Saints...and now the Cardinals?

Teddy is an enigma.  Haven't seen him play a meaningful game in almost two years.  Does he have the same mobility of Keenum?  I don't recall it being quite that good, but it's been a while.  Teddy also never had the opportunity to play behind a good Oline.  Look at what happened when Keenum had to play behind a decimated OLine with Remmers out, Elflein out, Reiff out.  Teddy was good and poised for a breakout.  Can he be again?  Can he be stronger (they say so), can he be even more cerebral than he was, after having to study for nearly two years?

It's really hard to bench Keenum...a QB alone doesn't win games, but the lack of a good/great NFL QB will prevent you from getting in a position to win many games.  His numbers are in the top decile of all QBs in the league right now.  Is that because of his ability?  The OLine?  Shurmer's offense?

I am never right about this stuff, but I did like what one prognosticator had projected...that Keenum would be in line to get a $15-17mm 3-year contract..FROM SOMEBODY, and that would fit the Vikings budget.  And that Teddy, because of his knee, would probably get a one-year $7mm contract with team option.  The combination would fit the NFL budget for a top QB and insulate us from injury at that position.

The reality is that is probably all wishful thinking.  Look at what Brock Osweiler (local kid from Kalispell, Montana), got from the Texans.  I sweeper  

I don't intend to dump on Bradford but I think it's presumptuous to think he would be doing better than Case.  Case has made A LOT of key plays while on the move/outside the pocket.  Those play very possibly or likely would have been much different with Sam.  He may have made up for it with other qualities like his arm and ability to diagnose coverages but it's also very possible the OL would have looked worse than it does. 

I don't know who is the best QB going forward based on what I've seen through out each guys career, I feel better about Case now than I did about 4-5 weeks ago but he still has flashes of the Case we saw get benched in St. Louis and Huston that landed him his low contract last summer.  I'm also not sure Teddy will be as good, worse, or better than when he got hurt.

I was REALLY hoping we would have a more clear picture of the future of the QB spot at this point but it's potentially a huge mess this offseason.  I hope we don't end up keeping Salisbury over Gannon or Cunningham over Johnson, and I really hope a few years from now we aren't watching Keenum vs Teddy in a SB the Vikings aren't in.

I like Case, he has fire. You can’t teach that or make a guy have it. You either have it or you don’t.

I also like Teddy, there isnt anything about him to make you not like the guy.

Teddy’s knee scares the crap out of me though. 

It’s a gamble either way really. Does Case fall into a funk if Shurmer is gone? Does Teddy’s knee hold up?

No matter if it pissed Teddy off or not, if they can keep him here under the currnet contract, I’d do it. I’d also give Case a decent contract. 

Let them fight it out in preseason, and may the best man win.