Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ron Rivera: Vikings’ defense keeps getting better
The Minnesota Vikings rank second in the NFL in both total yards and points this season. If they finish there, it will be the highest spot of Mike Zimmer’s tenure in Minnesota, improving on top-five defensive rankings from the previous two seasons.
As the Vikings get set to face the Carolina Panthers on the road, Ron Rivera – a defensive coach himself – said he’s impressed by the growth of Zimmer’s defense.

“I will say this: In the last couple of years, you’ve noticed that they’ve gotten progressively better,” Rivera said. “They’re very consistent. They are a very aggressive, attacking defense. But the hallmark will be if they win their division, win in the playoffs and get themselves to the Super Bowl, I think people will talk about them in the same breath as a the really great defenses.”
Rivera credited the Vikings’ talent on the defensive side with their continued improvement. Last year, Everson Griffen, Linval Joseph, Anthony Barr, Xavier Rhodes and Harrison Smith all went to the Pro Bowl and Danielle Hunter, who had 12.5 sacks last season, was left off the Pro Bowl roster.
“I love the personnel, I think they’ve done a really nice job, I think Rick Spielman’s done a great job with the personnel,” Rivera said. “I think what coach [Zimmer] has done in terms of developing it, getting to understand and have a feel for what they do.”
The Panthers’ head coach was particularly complimentary of the Vikings’ secondary, which sports the No. 1 safety in the NFL by Pro Football Focus rankings in Smith.
http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2017/1...ng-better/

:3 :3 

And to think just 4 years ago, the year before Zimmer came aboard, the Vikings ranked 31st in yards allowed, and dead last in points allowed.

Quote: @"SFVikingFan" said:
And to think just 4 years ago, the year before Zimmer came aboard, the Vikings ranked 31st in yards allowed, and dead last in points allowed.
Here is much of your 2013 Vikings Defense:
  • Jared Allen
  • Shariff Floyd
  • Fred Evans
  • Tratteau
  • Griffen
  • Robison
  • KW
  • Guion
  • Cole
  • Greenway
  • Henderson
  • Hodges
  • Mauti
  • Mitchell
  • Cook
  • Rhodes
  • Sendejo
  • Dirty Harry
  • Sherels
  • Josh Robison
Some Diamonds, Key over the hillers, Some Duds and a bad scheme.

Since Rick Spielman took over as GM in 2012, the Vikings have added via free agency, or the draft, Linval Joseph, Harrison Smith, Rhodes, Barr, Bridgewater, Waynes, Kendricks, Hunter, Diggs (the last 4 in the same draft), Alexander, Cook, Elflein and Gedeon, Reiff, Remmers, Keenum and Murray. This is the heart of this team and why we're 10 and 2. It's very very good and very very young.

He also made great decisions on Harvin, Peterson and Sendejo when those moves weren't necessarily popular among fans. Sure, there were misses along the way, and Rick's doubters will always point to them without mentioning the misses on other teams. This is a fantastic haul by ANY measure, but when you compare it to what other teams did over the same period, that's when it really, really stands out.

He also hired Mike Zimmer, and while Zim has done a great job, I think the tendency is to give him the bulk of the credit. He deserves a lot of it, but the real star of this team is Rick Spielman. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
Since Rick Spielman took over as GM in 2012, the Vikings have added via free agency, or the draft, Linval Joseph, Harrison Smith, Rhodes, Barr, Bridgewater, Waynes, Kendricks, Hunter, Diggs (the last 4 in the same draft), Alexander, Cook, Elflein and Gedeon, Reiff, Remmers, Keenum and Murray. This is the heart of this team and why we're 10 and 2. It's very very good and very very young.

He also made great decisions on Harvin, Peterson and Sendejo when those moves weren't necessarily popular among fans. Sure, there were misses along the way, and Rick's doubters will always point to them without mentioning the misses on other teams. This is a fantastic haul by ANY measure, but when you compare it to what other teams did over the same period, that's when it really, really stands out.

He also hired Mike Zimmer, and while Zim has done a great job, I think the tendency is to give him the bulk of the credit. He deserves a lot of it, but the real star of this team is Rick Spielman. 
I totally agree Rick has done a masterful job and even hit on QB after learning from the Ponder mistake.  That is one area that is not talked about much is that Rick seams to learn from his mistakes and does not repeat them.  That is a really important aspect of his tenure.

Well said MB...Love what Shurmur has brought to this too with Norv out the door. Painful last year, but reaping the benefits now...

Next big move for RS? Make Shurmur Asst HC and lock him up for 3 more seasons when this one ends. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:

Management is not at much about what you do as much as finding the right people to do it.  Rick has done a great job in finding the right people.  Starting with Zimmer and down through finding players of high character.  When the chips are down, this team doesn't turn on each other.  They haven't bought in to the distractions.