Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Casserly on The Future of the QB Position For The Vikings
The Vikings are getting to the point of no return when it comes down to it. Teddy has limited chemistry with the first team offense and will have in-game rust that has to be knocked off. Basically, there a number of in-game aspects Teddy has to overcome before he is "back". You can't force that to happen in weeks 15-17 if you are seriously considering a change at QB. You also can't do that since if you need to turn back to Case you'll need time to get him back into the flow. You'd be surprised the setbacks a single week could have on his momentum with the offense. 

Right now you need to stick with Case. But at some point you need to get Teddy in for a half. Not because he will be the starter, but because you need to make sure he can perform in the playoffs if Case goes down.

This week against Atlanta will be his biggest test. More recently the teams the Vikings have played against (WAS/LA/DET) have defenses that take away the middle of the field and force you to the outside flats. Atlanta takes away the flats/sideline and wants you to complete passes over the middle. We'll see what happens but that has been Case's biggest issue in his career so far.  

Teddy needs playing time.   After we clinch home field throighghout the playoffs.  

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
The Vikings are getting to the point of no return when it comes down to it. Teddy has limited chemistry with the first team offense and will have in-game rust that has to be knocked off. Basically, there a number of in-game aspects Teddy has to overcome before he is "back". You can't force that to happen in weeks 15-17 if you are seriously considering a change at QB. You also can't do that since if you need to turn back to Case you'll need time to get him back into the flow. You'd be surprised the setbacks a single week could have on his momentum with the offense. 

Right now you need to stick with Case. But at some point you need to get Teddy in for a half. Not because he will be the starter, but because you need to make sure he can perform in the playoffs if Case goes down.

This week against Atlanta will be his biggest test. More recently the teams the Vikings have played against (WAS/LA/DET) have defenses that take away the middle of the field and force you to the outside flats. Atlanta takes away the flats/sideline and wants you to complete passes over the middle. We'll see what happens but that has been Case's biggest issue in his career so far.  
hopefully he handles it well and takes care of Carolina as well.  I think the home game against Cinci would be the best to target getting Teddys feet wet for a half or so.  I dont like turning him loose at night in lambeau,  and I dont like the idea of taking snaps away from Case in the last game before the playoffs start since we are currently looking at a first round bye. (to much time off IMO)  If Case can keep the ship steady the next 2 week IMO there will be no discussion about who the starter would be for the playoffs so its really just a matter then of doing whats best for Case's prep.

fingers crossed.

If Case continues to show improvement this week, IMO there is no more discussion on the QB other than as Geoff sez, to get Teddy some game reps.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
@"greediron" said:
@"HappyViking" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
Maybe I just can't remember, but I don't recall Teddy evading pocket pressure like Case can...there's times Keenum has being magical eluding the rush...I cannot recall Teddy evoking that sort of impression for me...

The other thing to remember is that Case has never done the things he's been doing before this season either.  He may have had moments or a game or two where he's played well, but never has he played at the level he's at now. 

Given the chance, it's entirely possible Teddy would be much better and confident with this team too.
Much of the credit goes to shurmur IMO.  He is putting layers in position to succeed.

I wonder if the posters who had issues with me for bashing Norvell and his round peg in the square hole offense can now see what I was talking about? Shurmur is maximizing all 11 guys in this O, particularly in the OL and QB slots...

I'm stupid. You're smart. I was wrong. You were right. You're the best. I'm the worst. You're very good-looking. I'm not very attractive.

You forgot my breath is minty fresh too...
Smile

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"PapaScott" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"PapaScott" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"PapaScott" said:
@"minny65" said:
@"HappyViking" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
Maybe I just can't remember, but I don't recall Teddy evading pocket pressure like Case can...there's times Keenum has being magical eluding the rush...I cannot recall Teddy evoking that sort of impression for me...

The other thing to remember is that Case has never done the things he's been doing before this season either.  He may have had moments or a game or two where he's played well, but never has he played at the level he's at now. 

Given the chance, it's entirely possible Teddy would be much better and confident with this team too.
Yes, and don't forget having WR's that run great routes and get open, Teddy did not have that either.  Everything is clicking on offense with Shurmur and even his play calling has been excellent.  Not sure what Teddy will do in the system but I suspect he would do very well.  Side note downer - I hope Shurmur stays next year - he is going to get a lot of HC attention from an anemic offensive team.   
Diggs, Theilen, and Rudolph were all on the 2015 squad.  Mike Wallace was on the 2015 squad as well.  

If the Vikings need to sign anyone it's Shurmur, maybe Kyle will want to play for his dad.
you cant even compare those guys in 15 with how they are playing in 17...not even close to as good of talent in 15.  and Rudolph got kept in to block on most downs in 15.  Wallace basically ran deep routes that Teddy rarely had time to wait for them to develop so thats really a moot point.
well you can't say that Case has better WR's then.  
JFC... I can and I will,  if you had to pick a group for next sundays game... do you want the 15 receiver group or this years?   do you want the guys you listed playing at the level they were playing then or do you want this years group playing at the level they are playing now?  or are you going to argue that those guys you listed are not playing at higher level now that they have more experience than they were 2 years ago when they were green to the league?
Whatever, I never compared.  I pointed out that the same guys were on the team.   So it's okay for you to make a comparison but not for me to point out that the same guys were there then as now?  And those deep routes, yeah I remember Teddy couldn't get the ball within reach.  It's a good thing Diggs could dive and catch them.   If you FUCKING think I'm saying they were as good in 15' as they are now, your wrong.  I  NEVER said that nor made a comparison.  Maybe just FUCKING maybe it has to do with the TEAM playing better.  Again I'm pointing it's the same guys.   If you re read what I said the main point I'm trying to say is the vikings better do all they can to sign Shurmur long term.
you said I couldnt say that they were better now.... implying that you think that the 15 receivers were as good since they were the same guys.  your words not mine.
Nope, I said "you can't compare" because you told me that "I can't EVEN compare, 15' WR's to today's"   so what I was implying was if I can't compare than you can't either.  So NO jimmy those are not my words they are YOUR thoughts and words.   

yes Shurmur is a key to this offensive resurgence,  but ( disregard that because )a lot of that is one the emergence of AT and Diggs taking the extra defenders out of the box.

I think you are taking this Teddy/Case thing a bit to personal at times.   News flash bro,  those of us that think Teddy might be better than Case arent saying that to be mean to Case,  we just saw things in Teddys game that we feel will translate nicely to Shurmurs offense and may elevate the overall performance of the O.  Not saying Case sucks,  just that he isnt the greatest to ever play the game and does have areas that could be improved upon even though he is currently playing at a pretty good level himself.
I'm not supposed to take that personal?
and How am I taking this Teddy/Case thing personal?
It's funny how you can look back to Teddy of 15' and plug him into today's offense and it's going to elevate the overall performance of the O,  yet Case keenum who is actually playing has somehow not elevated the overall play of the offense?   You can look back at the play of Teddy in 15' and overlook all of his negatives or give excuses for them, brush off the fact that he suffered a major knee injury and know that he will automatically be better.
speaking of implying yeah I would say you "Teddy is greater" guys are indeed implying that Case sucks.   You have labeled Case just like you've labeled Teddy and are not open to the idea that they are mis labeled.  
I certainly have not been arguing that Case is the greatest to ever play the game, he is however having his greatest season ever, and is the greatest ever in several categories of NCAA College football.

My very first response to this thread was pointing out that the same guys were there in 15 as are here today and a couple people go off on that.
Yeah, I've done lost my mind.  

Atlanta is a good team playing at home. Road games are hard to win. One game at a time. Keenum is obviously going to be the starter and his leash is a bit longer now. I'm sure the organization wants to see Teddy in live game action as they have a decision to make next year. But it'll have to happen organically now, meaning Keenum will need to shit the bed for a game...or maybe even two. You don't replace a guy playing like Keenum is playing, it absolutely won't happen. 

I have zero doubt after the Detroit win that Case has a little longer chain in the backyard to roam around with.