Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patterson at WR: 18 catches, 114 yards, 0 TDs
Quote: @"CLOBIMON" said:
If only the guy could translate his gunner strength to deep receiving threat.  He's still past the blockers and first one down there for the Raiders punt team nearly every time.
hes got some skills,  just not sure how they cant be put together into an offensive weapon.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
As a KR, Patterson during his 4 years here gave us the #1 or #2 average starting field position after a kickoff...
As a WR, I can't help but wonder what Shurmur would do with Patterson's talent based on the mileage he's getting out of guys like Keenum and Remmers...Musgrave certainly was able to put Patterson in a position to succeed...I'm guessing he'd do the same here...
I have to think that Shurmur was involved in the decision to not try and resign CPatt.   as far as the starting field position.... we are only talking about a matter of a few yards difference per kick off from top to bottom IIRC.  KR stats are pretty over hyped with the 25 yard line starting spot now IMO.

If he would come on the cheap and Shurmur was convinced he could get 10-15 productive plays per game out of him where he isnt handicapping the offense when he is on the field... I would be good with bringing him back.  he was really looking good on P coverage last year which would be a nice addition.
I'm sure you are right that Shurmur was involved, but the key is that Patterson wanted a relatively big contract - on paper he got 2 years for $8.5M with $5M guaranteed. I didn't think he was worth keeping for that price and doubt Shurmur did. But it's a different story if his price drops significantly.

This is all dependent on the Raiders opting out of the remaining $3M, and they might just keep him if they think he starts to pick up their offense late in the season. We have 2 excellent WRs and some decent depth, so getting Patterson back next year is not a big deal - I just think he's going to end up more role player than starter and if he accepts the salary for that, he's a good guy to have.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"CLOBIMON" said:
If only the guy could translate his gunner strength to deep receiving threat.  He's still past the blockers and first one down there for the Raiders punt team nearly every time.
hes got some skills,  just not sure how they cant be put together into an offensive weapon.
Running past people works for a gunner.  Not so much at WR.  Actually reading the defense, running good routes and being in the right place matter as much as being fast. 

Quote: @"greediron" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"CLOBIMON" said:
Running past people works for a gunner.  Not so much at WR.  Actually reading the defense, running good routes and being in the right place matter as much as being fast. 
some of the same skills he has as a gunner can help him as a WR.  one of the biggest issues for many WR is getting off a jam at the line... PR often have 2 guys to beat on any given kick so he has that down.  I think his routes were improving last year... I can see him back here if it was on the cheap, but somebody else will think that Minny and Oakland both missed something and pay him more than they should.

Gunner doesn't require much studying.  I don't think his issues are in the physical realm.  His routes should have improved over the course of that many years.  But knowing which one to run based on the play call and how the defense lines up seemed to be his biggest issue.

Quote: @"greediron" said:
Gunner doesn't require much studying.  I don't think his issues are in the physical realm.  His routes should have improved over the course of that many years.  But knowing which one to run based on the play call and how the defense lines up seemed to be his biggest issue.
like I said,  if Shurmur can get him on the field for 10 plays without being to predictable and/or hurting the team because he is just a decoy,  then I would be fine,  if he is only coming back as a gimmick and a special teamer... pass.