Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keenum + Sloter for 2018?
Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
He has legitimate starting talent. Look up his strange back story, lots of potential that just never was able to get on the field for various reasons outside of his control. 
His backstory was posted all over the place out here. Particularly after Preseason Game 4 (I think that is the game that he flat out owned...). The fans, and everyone out here thought Sloter cemented himself as the future backup (most preferring him over Lynch who has looked like the game is just not slowing down for him as yet). 

I, for one, am happy as a clam to have the guy! I make sure to tell my QB-less Broncos buddies that every time we talk.

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
To add some context, I think there is a misunderstanding of what Teddy is worth. His negotiation is going to go one of two ways. 

1. The team locks into a shorter term deal to mitigate the teams risk with additional guaranteed money being the trade off for the player. This is the method the Eagles took with Bradford in his 2016 extension. 

2. The team offers the player market rate money and term but does not offer a significant signing bonus and reduces guarantees. Usually the player gets competitive roster bonuses with strong language. This method gives the team an easy way out of the deal with the player not being penalized for their injury or poor season. This is the method the Bengals have taken with Andy Dalton to much success. 

So what does this mean for Bridgewater? Well, considering the Vikings have historically tried to pay players upfront to avoid kicking anything down the road option #2 has been their pro forma. From Bridgewater's side this makes sense to take money up-front with the opportunity earn market rate and a potential renegotiation down the road. Money wise it would look something like this: 

Deal: 5 years $90M with $25M in guaranteed money ($2.5M signing bonus). All roster bonuses due 3 days prior to each new league year. Bridgewaters 2020 salary is 50% guaranteed at the payout of the $6M roster bonus and another 50% guaranteed at the beginning of camp.  

2018 - Salary: $12.0M / Prorated Bonus: $500K / Roster Bonus: $0M / Cap Hit: $12.5M / Dead Cap: $25M / Cap Savings: ($12.5M)
2019 - Salary: $10.5M / Prorated Bonus: $500K / Roster Bonus: $4.0M / Cap Hit: $15.0M / Dead Cap: $12.5M / Cap Savings: $2.5M
2020 - Salary: $12M / Prorated Bonus: $500K / Roster Bonus: $6.0M / Cap Hit: $18.5M / Dead Cap: $1.5M / Cap Savings: $17M
2021 - Salary: $19.5M / Prorated Bonus: $500K / Roster Bonus: $0 / Cap Hit: $20M / Dead Cap: $1.0M / Cap Savings: $19M
2022 - Salary: $23.5M / Prorated Bonus: $500K / Roster Bonus: $0 / Cap Hit: $24M / Dead Cap: $500K / Cap Savings: $23.5M

If you sort through all the contractual junk this is a 2 year deal worth $27.5M. After that you pay as you go with a likely restructure before the 2021 season.  
Is the rumor of Aaron Rodgers having a clause that he can opt out true?  I've seen that he can and I have seen that he can't.

Quote: @"Bolstad79" said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
To add some context, I think there is a misunderstanding of what Teddy is worth. His negotiation is going to go one of two ways. 

1. The team locks into a shorter term deal to mitigate the teams risk with additional guaranteed money being the trade off for the player. This is the method the Eagles took with Bradford in his 2016 extension. 

2. The team offers the player market rate money and term but does not offer a significant signing bonus and reduces guarantees. Usually the player gets competitive roster bonuses with strong language. This method gives the team an easy way out of the deal with the player not being penalized for their injury or poor season. This is the method the Bengals have taken with Andy Dalton to much success. 

So what does this mean for Bridgewater? Well, considering the Vikings have historically tried to pay players upfront to avoid kicking anything down the road option #2 has been their pro forma. From Bridgewater's side this makes sense to take money up-front with the opportunity earn market rate and a potential renegotiation down the road. Money wise it would look something like this: 

Deal: 5 years $90M with $25M in guaranteed money ($2.5M signing bonus). All roster bonuses due 3 days prior to each new league year. Bridgewaters 2020 salary is 50% guaranteed at the payout of the $6M roster bonus and another 50% guaranteed at the beginning of camp.  

2018 - Salary: $12.0M / Prorated Bonus: $500K / Roster Bonus: $0M / Cap Hit: $12.5M / Dead Cap: $25M / Cap Savings: ($12.5M)
2019 - Salary: $10.5M / Prorated Bonus: $500K / Roster Bonus: $4.0M / Cap Hit: $15.0M / Dead Cap: $12.5M / Cap Savings: $2.5M
2020 - Salary: $12M / Prorated Bonus: $500K / Roster Bonus: $6.0M / Cap Hit: $18.5M / Dead Cap: $1.5M / Cap Savings: $17M
2021 - Salary: $19.5M / Prorated Bonus: $500K / Roster Bonus: $0 / Cap Hit: $20M / Dead Cap: $1.0M / Cap Savings: $19M
2022 - Salary: $23.5M / Prorated Bonus: $500K / Roster Bonus: $0 / Cap Hit: $24M / Dead Cap: $500K / Cap Savings: $23.5M

If you sort through all the contractual junk this is a 2 year deal worth $27.5M. After that you pay as you go with a likely restructure before the 2021 season.  
Is the rumor of Aaron Rodgers having a clause that he can opt out true?  I've seen that he can and I have seen that he can't.
I can't say with certainty, but I don't think Rodgers can opt out of his deal. The money on the deal flips so it suggests the Packers would want to renegotiate though.