Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shades of ‘98. Why We Need Teddy For the Playoffs
Quote: @Purpleblooded said:
Good discussion, all.  And civil, too.  Love the initial post, but disagree in two respects.  First, no one with half a brain was overlooking Atlanta in 1998.  Overlook a 14-2 team in the NFC Championship game?  With the Vikings pedigree?  Do you KNOW how hard it is to go 14-2?  Cautious optimism is the best any realistic fan could have mustered.  Second, no way on earth Brad Johnson should have started over Cunningham against the Falcons.  Cunningham was the best QB for that team (strip sack at the end of Q1 and underthrow of Moss in OT notwithstanding).  But I agree with you on Case.  While all QB's have "WTF" throws, Keenum has more than his share.  His bad decisions have often come up golden.  Why?  Fate, luck, whatever... my eyes tell me Keenum is not taking this team to the Super Bowl. 
i probably should have said ATL flew under the radar that year. There was such a sense of invincibility about the Vikings. I dont think anyone disrespected ATL, but folks felt the Vikes just couldn’t lose - which was why they were like 9 point favorites in that game. 

And we can agree to disagree in regards to whom the starting QB should have been. But that is the point of my post. Yeah, they wouldnt have set the scoring record with Johnson. But Johnson doesn’t lose those fumbles or throw the pick or keep trying to heave the ball deep to Moss which resulted in a 5-16 outing in the second half because he ignored his check downs and shorter options. He has longer drives and doesnt stress the Defense as much. 

it would have been a gutsy move to have gone back to Johnson. And left Denny with lots of room for second guessing. But I do believe that Denny left it open for Johnson for so long explicitly because he knew who Randall was. (and Randall was who Denny thought he was). But the O performed at such a high level that Denny was put into a box. 

And thats a box Zimmer would be wise to avoid. 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
i would take it a step further and say if Teddy was looking the same or only marginally better in practice there wouldnt be an upside to moving him ahead of Case.    I think Cases strong first half this week along with the current condition of the team regarding record and playoffs will make this a terribly difficult decision, and am glad that I dont have to make it.

Again... The single biggest reason to put Teddy on the field isn't because you need him to win a game right now. The biggest reason is because we need to see how he will play coming off an injury before we commit millions of dollars to him in a contract. 

Quote: @Mike Olson said:
@JimmyinSD said:
i would take it a step further and say if Teddy was looking the same or only marginally better in practice there wouldnt be an upside to moving him ahead of Case.    I think Cases strong first half this week along with the current condition of the team regarding record and playoffs will make this a terribly difficult decision, and am glad that I dont have to make it.

Again... The single biggest reason to put Teddy on the field isn't because you need him to win a game right now. The biggest reason is because we need to see how he will play coming off an injury before we commit millions of dollars to him in a contract. 

No, the biggest reason is that Case isn't the guy to make a playoff run. 

Starting Teddy against a very good defense may not be the best idea. I would guess he starts the Thanksgiving game.

@JimmyinSD said:

I dont think there is one reason,  yes the contract issue is a major reason,  but I think the concerns with Case's play are real and that the team is going to need to see better consistent play from the position if they are seriously going to contend in the playoffs.  the longer you kick that can down the road the harder it will be to make that change and allow Teddy any time to get in a rhythm before the playoffs.   maybe Teddy wont be better in which case the team is likely screwed for this year in terms of playoff success,  maybe he will be better... or maybe nothing changes we eek our way into the playoffs and then who knows,  but if they were fine with Case they wouldnt really care about Teddys contract for next year unless they believed that Teddy is the better option for the future.  if he wasnt looking good in practice this wouldnt be an issue at all,  regardless of contract status for next year. 

Quote: @greediron said:
@Mike Olson said:
@JimmyinSD said:

Why is Teddy that guy?

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Mike Olson said:
@JimmyinSD said:

I dont think there is one reason,  yes the contract issue is a major reason,  but I think the concerns with Case's play are real and that the team is going to need to see better consistent play from the position if they are seriously going to contend in the playoffs.  the longer you kick that can down the road the harder it will be to make that change and allow Teddy any time to get in a rhythm before the playoffs.   maybe Teddy wont be better in which case the team is likely screwed for this year in terms of playoff success,  maybe he will be better... or maybe nothing changes we eek our way into the playoffs and then who knows,  but if they were fine with Case they wouldnt really care about Teddys contract for next year unless they believed that Teddy is the better option for the future.  if he wasnt looking good in practice this wouldnt be an issue at all,  regardless of contract status for next year. 
I could literally take each point and turn it on it's heels 180 degrees to support my position. 

However, I did see Teddy in pregame. Not Good. And I REALLY shouldn't be saying that. 

@greediron said:
@Mike Olson said:
@JimmyinSD said:

Why is Teddy that guy?
That is a question for the coaches.  Is he?  If he isn't ready, then this debate is completely worthless.  But the coaches seem to think he is.  So I will go with that.