Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what's up with the "eligible to return" IR rule?
A few years back, the NFL created a rule allowing teams to designate a player on IR as eligible to return. Then it was expanded to two players. A team used to be required to designate who that player would be, now you don't.

Is there a cut off date where after players put on the IR aren't eligible to return?

There's been some discussion about putting Bradford on the IR to make room for Teddy. Is it too late for IRed players to return at the end of the season? ... if so, I'm kind of curious why Bradford maybe wasn't IRed a while back with eyes on the return window the final few weeks of the season.

Zimmer said Bradford wasn't IR'ed because the doctors told him that his knee issue would get better with rest.  He said he thought it would be a one week injury and it just hasn't responded the way the doctors thought.

Apparently there is something more going on with his knee because he hasn't practiced in weeks and it isn't getting better.  Getting special injections is NOT a good sign.  Nor is the visit he had today with Dr. Andrews...

But yes, they could IR him this week and he would be eligible to begin practicing after 6 weeks.  The team would have two weeks to activate him to the active roster or he would remain on IR.  That would put him back potentially Week 16 or 17 if he is actually healthy enough to play at that point...

I was thinking early with the injury, it was a week to week thing. His return against Chicago felt natural; before it clearly wasn't. It hasn't really felt week to week with the injury since that Bears game. It certainly feels like "more is going on" with the injury and situation. Which I guess I thought, "hmm, why not a few weeks ago?" 

If he can still 'IR and return' I guess it's a non issue. I thought there was a point in the season where players end up stuck on the IR for the rest of the year. It makes a lot of sense to put Bradford on the IR if he can be activated off IR late in the year. It'll open up a roster slot of Sloter. We'll have 3 QBs ready to go. We'll have a great arm potentially ready to go if we need it. 

On the rule question, is there a week in the season where players placed on IR no longer can return?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...-decision/

Report: Sam Bradford had knee surgery Tuesday as team mulls IR decision