Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
These ads sound familiar to anyone?
Sounds like the Russians had quite an impact on the election through thousands of ads purchased on Facebook, Twitter, et al...But they also very clearly attempted to turn natural divisions between left and right into public, if not violent, conflict. Pretty disturbing if you ask me. 

Excerpts from the Washpo article below....
A Facebook page called “Being Patriotic” bought an ad touting a “Miners for Trump” rally in Pennsylvania, one of several key swing states. “Mr. Trump pursues the goal of creating more jobs and supports the working class,” says the ad, which features images of miners and Trump in a miner’s protective hard hat. “He said he would put miners back to work.”
Another ad, from a Russian-controlled group called Heart of Texas, announced a rally for May 21, 2016, under the banner of “Stop Islamization of Texas.” A separate Russian-controlled group, United Muslims of America, publicized a competing rally to “Save Islamic Knowledge” at the same place and time, causing the two groups to face off in competing demonstrations in Houston -- a sign of how Russians hoped to turn divisions into open conflict.

Three ads from a group called “Stop All Invaders” showed photos of woman wearing Islamic religious head-coverings, along with calls to action to stop the spread of Sharia law. “All face covering should be banned in every state across America!” read one ad, which had been shared more than 4,300 times and drummed up 14,000 likes alone.

Another Facebook ad promoted a “Down With Hillary!” rally in July 2016 outside Clinton’s campaign headquarters in Brooklyn. The ad was targeted to Facebook users, 18-65-years old, who had declared interest in Donald Trump or Donald Trump Jr., and lived within 25 miles of New York City.
Yet another ad targeted the other end of the political spectrum with the creation of a “Black Matters” community page. It featured pictures of black men killed in high-profile police shootings, including Michael Brown, shot in Ferguson, Mo., in 2014, and Tamir Rice, a 12-year-old boy shot by Cleveland police that same year. The ad was targeted to a number of groups, including people who declared an interest in Martin Luther King Jr., Blacknews.com or HuffPost Black Voices.
One ad, also bought by the Heart of Texas group, took particular aim at veterans and others concerned about military issues, saying, “Hillary is the only one politician (except Barack Obama) who is despised by the overwhelming majority of American veterans.”

Sen. Mark R. Warner (D-Va.), the ranking Democrat on the committee, cited a free post by a Russian-controled account called “Army of Jesus”showing Clinton dressed as Satan, with red horns and boxing gloves, appearing to punch Jesus, who also was wearing boxing gloves as well as a determined glare as heavenly light appeared above him. Unlike some of the other content shown at the hearing, this was not a paid advertisement.
“’LIKE’ IF YOU WANT JESUS TO WIN!,” the post said, using the terminology of Facebook as its tries to get users to publicly declare their interest in groups, events or products. People who hit “like” buttons on Facebook can later be shown ads.

Politics aside, the last two paragraphs seem to be a huge issue on FB.  I don't click on them, but the "Like if you.." or "share if you.." really strike me as devious.  People will like about any "feed" or whaterver that is called because they agree with a nebulous slogan or idea.  They have no idea what they are signing up for.

And since FB is controlled by Russian money, I have no doubt they are intentionally driving the wedge. 

Quote: @"greediron" said:
Politics aside, the last two paragraphs seem to be a huge issue on FB.  I don't click on them, but the "Like if you.." or "share if you.." really strike me as devious.  People will like about any "feed" or whaterver that is called because they agree with a nebulous slogan or idea.  They have no idea what they are signing up for.

Agree, and I think this is especially true among Christians. I know from my upbringing in the Church and the fact that most of my family on Facebook are farm-country Evangelicals, that guilt is a big part of this strategy: Am I rejecting Jesus if I don't "like" or "share" this? 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"greediron" said:

Agree, and I think this is especially true among Christians. I know from my upbringing in the Church and the fact that most of my family on Facebook are farm-country Evangelicals, that guilt is a big part of this strategy: Am I rejecting Jesus if I don't "like" or "share" this? 
Patriotism, faith, political views, people are so eager to "share" using FB.  Makes me nauseous even with things I agree with.

Funny aside, I was considering going on a rant about this very topic to my "friends" on FB.  Seeing random shit in my feed because someone had to type amen to a nebulous idea from an unknown source.  Now I am duty bound to post said rant.