Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Benjamin To The Bills
Christian McCaffrey - RB - Panthers Panthers GM Marty Hurney said on Wednesday the Kelvin Benjamin trade was executed in an effort to "clear out the box" and allow the "run game to flourish".
Considering Devin Funchess, Russell Shepard, and Curtis Samuel are now the Panthers' main receivers, the run game figures to become more prominent, and maybe Carolina will use more two-tight end sets with Ed Dickson and Greg Olsen when Olsen comes back from his ankle injury. Christian McCaffrey has been a major disappointment after being taken No. 8 overall. He's not making anyone miss as a runner as evidenced by his 1.65 yards after contact per attempt, which ranks dead last among 43 qualified running backs at Pro Football Focus. Big-bodied Benjamin was playing close to the line of scrimmage in the slot, and the Panthers want to get things spread out more. They need McCaffrey to step it up.
Source: WFNZ Charlotte
My take pre-draft was he was Reggie Bush 2.0...I'm not sure trading your WR1 will free him up...

Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
@"dadevike" said:
So Rhodes takes Funchess (really?) and Waynes takes ummm .... wait don't tell me ... Ginn? ... no that's not right .... McCaffrey? ... isn't he a running back?  Ok, I give up.

I guess Cam will just throw the ball to himself. So Waynes takes Cam. There.
They do have Bucky Hodges on their PS - maybe he'll be replacing Benjamin.

Panthers are 5-3; why are they selling? Was Benjamin mad? Panthers picked up his 5th year so under contract reasonably through next year, and already has 32 catches this year. As BarrNone noted, pretty good player for a 3rd round pick, certainly more appealing than Josh Gordon IMO.
Seems odd to be selling at this point, but I wonder if they see the writing on the wall?  They are struggling to run the ball, their O-line is letting Cam get beat up.  I really think they know they don't have the o-line to compete.

Quote: @"greediron" said:
@"Jor-El" said:
@"dadevike" said:
So Rhodes takes Funchess (really?) and Waynes takes ummm .... wait don't tell me ... Ginn? ... no that's not right .... McCaffrey? ... isn't he a running back?  Ok, I give up.

Panthers are 5-3; why are they selling? Was Benjamin mad? Panthers picked up his 5th year so under contract reasonably through next year, and already has 32 catches this year. As BarrNone noted, pretty good player for a 3rd round pick, certainly more appealing than Josh Gordon IMO.
Seems odd to be selling at this point, but I wonder if they see the writing on the wall?  They are struggling to run the ball, their O-line is letting Cam get beat up.  I really think they know they don't have the o-line to compete.
Maybe, but..a 3rd for your 26-year-old #1 receiver?? If the Bills sent them a #1 I would get it, but this sounds like dumping. I would guess they anticipate problems extending Benjamin.

Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
@"greediron" said:
@"Jor-El" said:
@"dadevike" said:

Maybe, but..a 3rd for your 26-year-old #1 receiver?? If the Bills sent them a #1 I would get it, but this sounds like dumping. I would guess they anticipate problems extending Benjamin.
Oh, I agree.  It has the fire sale look to it.  I don't see why they would have issues extending him, he hasn't lit the world on fire.  At least from what little I pay attention to Carolina.   It is odd all the way around.

Panthers release tight end Bucky Hodges from the practice squad, sign tight end Evan Baylis (Oregon) to the practice squad.
1:04 PM - Oct 31, 2017 · Charlotte, NC

Quote: @"Kentis" said:
Panthers release tight end Bucky Hodges from the practice squad, sign tight end Evan Baylis (Oregon) to the practice squad.
So the only people to really like Bucky are Bucky and those that share his last name?