Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Andrew Kramer: Will FA reshape the Vikings DL?
A Vikings fan asks: "Which of these veteran d-lineman do you foresee playing for the Vikings in 2018: Tom Johnson, Robison, Stephen, Sharrif Floyd?"A: Three of those four, not including Robison, are set to hit free agency this spring. I could see all returning except Floyd, who we’ll get to later. So really it comes down to two key interior defenders. Johnson isn’t blowing up the box scores, but he’s improved his play against the run this season and would be an asset on any D-line. Stephen, the former seventh-round pick, has developed into a reliable role player. Given the time invested and Stephen’s development, the Vikings may value him more than another team. Robison is likely to stick around after restructuring his contract this spring to add the 2018 season, potentially his last. He’s still got it, posting a team-high five QB hits out of the Vikings’ 13 on Packers quarterbacks Aaron Rodgers and Brett Hundley. Out of those three, Johnson would be the one most likely to go since the Vikings have long-term plans established at the other three positions along the defensive line.
http://www.startribune.com/vikings-mailb...451851983/

I think the answer to this question should include, "Check back on the development of Jaleel Johnson by the end of this season." I'm personally not a big fan of Tom Johnson, and I think the Vikings really hoped the Datone Jones experiment would replace him. Even if Jaleel develops, I think Zimmer will keep looking for a penetrating 3T.