Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings’ Harrison Smith proud to honor another No. 22, hall of famer Paul Krause
Former Vikings safety Paul Krause, a hall of famer, long has believed his number should be retired.
But since he last suited up in 1979, 11 different Vikings players have been issued his old jersey No. 22. At least Krause feels better about the guy wearing it now, Harrison Smith, a fellow Pro Bowl safety.
“I own the all-time interception record, and I think (my number) should be retired, but that’s not Smith’s fault,” Krause said. “He’s a very, very good safety.”
Krause had 81 interceptions playing with the Washington Redskins from 1964-67 and the Vikings from 1968-79. He appeared in eight Pro Bowls, was named all-pro three times and was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1998.
Krause has grumbled before about his number not being retired. In 2003, that’s why he declined to attend a game in which Brian Russell had chance to tie his team record with an interception in six straight games. Russell did tie the mark before his streak was snapped.
For three decades after Krause retired, many hardly notable Minnesota players wore No. 22, such as Jarvis Redwine, Ken Johnson and Artose Pinner. Then in the 2012 draft, the Vikings used a first-round pick on Smith, who had worn No. 22 growing up in Knoxville, Tenn., and at Notre Dame.
“It was available when I got drafted, so you know I wanted it,” Smith said. “I knew (Krause) was the all-time leader in interceptions but, you know, I never had met him or anything.”
http://www.twincities.com/2017/10/13/vik...ul-krause/

Great article ...Thanks for posting purplefaithful