Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cook's roster spot
I find it a little curious that the Vikings have yet to sign another back, at least for depth purposes. Does that mean they're working on a deal for someone? Right now, Floyd would use Cook's spot, but I thought it more likely that Floyd would push a receiver off. Just from a numbers perspective, the backs are a little thin....

If you listened to Geoff's podcast pinned above, this was touched on...  at this point, the Vikings don't need to make a corresponding roster move to activate Floyd (Cook will be moved to IR).  However, Rodney Adams would likely be the odd man out if they add a RB.
As far as adding a RB...  I'm kind of interested in DeAngelo Williams.  He's old as dirt, but he has played well the past two years in Pittsburgh when Le'Veon has missed time.  Obviously, he wouldn't step into an every down role, but he does have 3-down ability with his pass blocking and receiving skills.  He could be a nice change up when Murray needs a breather.

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
If you listened to Geoff's podcast pinned above, this was touched on...  at this point, the Vikings don't need to make a corresponding roster move to activate Floyd (Cook will be moved to IR).  However, Rodney Adams would likely be the odd man out if they add a RB.
As far as adding a RB...  I'm kind of interested in DeAngelo Williams.  He's old as dirt, but he has played well the past two years in Pittsburgh when Le'Veon has missed time.  Obviously, he wouldn't step into an every down role, but he does have 3-down ability with his pass blocking and receiving skills.  He could be a nice change up when Murray needs a breather.
I totally agree.

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
In terms of skillset he would be perfect, but he's right at that "cliff" age of 34 where players actually just fall off a cliff physically.  He's actually over it for a running back. So that would require some serious workouts. I'd hate to bring him in only to find out he couldn't help us at all. Mathews is 5 years younger, but has been so banged up his body might not be much better. With all of these great performances from young sleepers like Chris Carson, Alex Collins, Elijah McGuire, Cohen, etc., maybe we can unearth another. Jeremy McNichols is a name that comes to mind. He's currently on the 49ers practice squad. Another on an active roster is DeAngelo Henderson, who's been lightning in a bottle for the Broncos, but not getting any playing time. I doubt they'd trade him. But something to think about. We definitely need more than Murray and McKinnon. 

I don't want to see a draft pick used.  We aren't going to find a starting caliber guy available so we might as well go shop practice squads and bring in a young guy that might stick after this season.  It will take anybody 2 to 4 weeks to get up to speed and by them the season will be over if Murray can't get the job done.