Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cam Akers
Honestly, if you don't trust Chandler to step up and be the Man when RB1 goes down, why have him on the roster next year? It took Ty awhile to GET reps and earn trust with the staff and now it seems he's taken a step back. Don't know what the deal is there, I can see his pass block is lesser than.

(11 hours ago)StickierBuns Wrote: Honestly, if you don't trust Chandler to step up and be the Man when RB1 goes down, why have him on the roster next year? It took Ty awhile to GET reps and earn trust with the staff and now it seems he's taken a step back. Don't know what the deal is there, I can see his pass block is lesser than.

I think they trust him to be the man; they just don't trust him in pass pro as much as they do Jones and Akers. Wolfie or Doogie or whatever his name is said he wouldn't be surprised if Akers takes the lead back role from Chandler if Jones can't go Sunday. That would really surprise me. Akers is reliable but vanilla af. Plus, I think everyone is overreacting to Chandler's poor performance against the Jets. I think that was more due to the Jets adjusting to what we were doing (against the run AND pass) than who the RB was. 

No matter the back, it's going to be hard to run against the Lions, who rank 7th in YPC. But give Chandler a crease and he can house it from anywhere on the field.

I've never been a big Chandler fan so I understand seeking help, but Akers was 4th on the Texans depth chart. That's not super inspiring despite him looking solid in limited work with us last year. But you get what you pay for so we'll see if he works out! I do see he and Chandler as about equal and wouldn't be surprised by whoever takes the top job if Jones is out.

Last time Chandler got a starter's workload, he went for 157. And this was with Mullens at QB so the Bengals defense was obviously playing the run. If Jones has to sit, it really should be Chandler's job to lose. If he isn't up to it, fine, put in Akers. But I'd like to see him get a shot.

[-] The following 1 user Likes MaroonBells's post:

I'd be surprised if Jones goes on Sunday.

I'll be just as surprised if Akers started ahead of Chandler.

I'm a bigger fan of Akers in the offense then Chandler right now - I really liked him a year ago.

But I'll keep an open mind. Bottom line is we'll need em both over the course of the season.

Agree, MB. Akers doesn't excite me one bit. Vanilla AF. One speed runner who doesn't have an extra gear. Even before the Achilles, I thought he was overrated coming into the league as a rookie.

If we give Chandler a starters workload, I think he'll be good. Let's not forget that Ty had a big run called back against the Jets for an illegal formation.

I think the Akers trade was more about upgrading from Gaskin than an indictment on Chandler. Plus Houston already has Mixon as their starter and Damien Pierce was nursing an injury the last couple weeks. Now that he's back, Houston didn't really need Akers.