Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dirty hands? Seems like teams can't help themselves....
(08-22-2024, 08:56 AM)Still Hurtn Wrote: Vikings annouce JJM will the the starter in 2025

? They did?

Here's some good insight from Tom Brady and his feelings on starting QBs too early:

https://twitter.com/stephenasmith/status...wcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fmusketfire.com%2Fposts%2Ftom-brady-doesnt-hide-opinion-patriots-starting-drake-maye-season-01j5e455ec23
[-] The following 1 user Likes StickierBuns's post:

I was a Bo Nix fan most of last college FB season (my daughter lives in Oregon, we have lots of friends with ties to the Ducks), and I always felt that he simply had six years in the minor leagues as a QB, improving his numbers each season. I felt that he was the most NFL-ready of any of the available QB's given the games he started and his completion/pick ratios. Plus he was big enough to be a fair dual-threat QB...not afraid to break the pocket and run. My other daughter lives in Colorado, so we still have ties to the Bronco's and I think Bo Nix is better suited to start for the Broncos this year than ANY of the other first-round QBs not named Caleb Williams.

Check back with me in December and I'll have results of my lofty prediction for this kid.

I don’t think it’s necessarily that any one strategy is going to 100% be the best for every single prospect. You go through the list of SB winning QBs and you get names of guys who redshirted and guys who started immediately. Guys who started: Peyton and Eli Manning, Russell Wilson, Stafford, Roethlisberger. Guys who redshirted: Brady, Brees, Mahomes, Rodgers. I think it’s more about knowing whats best for your individual QB.

I think what probably isn’t going to work most of the time is just saying “Fuck it, we drafted him high, lets start him and he can figure it out as he goes”, especially if that guys got a poor set of circumstances around him. To be honest, I think if you have a semi-competent veteran QB, and wait until your rookie outperforms him in practices, that’s probably good enough in most circumstances. I think where teams get in the most trouble is that the whole team sucks, you are drafting high, so you know you are drafting a QB. You neglect to bring in a competent QB to compete with them, so you either start your rookie immediately or after a few games when the shitty QB gets booed off the field, and the rookie isn’t ready and everything heads south.

Do rookies at other positions contribute day 1. Some do, some don’t. The main difference is that QB is the hardest and most important position in sports. Also, most other positions rotate players in and out as needed. If you’re a CB and have a bad couple of plays, they put someone else in, your coach goes over some teaching moments, and when you’re ready they can put you back in or you are a WR, and have mastered a small handful of plays, they can put you in for those plays only. At QB, once you are in, you are in.

(08-22-2024, 08:31 AM)pattersaur Wrote: I disagree with the notion that starting early automatically harms young QBs. Sometimes, where they're getting sacked every time they drop back a la David Carr then sure, that's reckless. But there's no way to prove a QB would have been any better or worse had they taken the road untraveled, in most cases.

Rookies contribute at other football positions, and in all other sports, all the time.

There is a huge difference between a rookie starting QB and a rookie wide receiver, shortstop or power forward. 

But I agree that starting early doesn't automatically harm young QBs. Every QB is different, every situation is different. But the data does seem to come down on the side of teams who gave their QBs more time. But even if it didn't, if I'm the decision maker on a team making the biggest decision in its 60 year history, I'm going to err on the side of patience every time.

Mayo for NE just said that although, 'Maye has outplayed Brissett, we aren't rushing him. We've all heard the horror stories of rushing rookie QBs'. Very interesting comment and probably very smart.

(08-26-2024, 12:52 PM)StickierBuns Wrote: Mayo for NE just said that although, 'Maye has outplayed Brissett, we aren't rushing him. We've all heard the horror stories of rushing rookie QBs'. Very interesting comment and probably very smart.

The wording is odd, like you're just opening yourself up to these questions when you state "Maye has outplayed Brissett".  He could have just left it at, Maye has narrowed the gap in this competition and we're encouraged with his progress to this point.  We'll make a decision on a starter based on their off-season of work and who gives us the best chance to win week 1.

Simple.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MAD GAINZ's post:

(08-26-2024, 01:03 PM)MAD GAINZ Wrote: The wording is odd, like you're just opening yourself up to these questions when you state "Maye has outplayed Brissett".  He could have just left it at, Maye has narrowed the gap in this competition and we're encouraged with his progress to this point.  We'll make a decision on a starter based on their off-season of work and who gives us the best chance to win week 1.

Simple.

And Mayo also said that 'Maye is the 2nd best QB on our roster'. So there, lmao. CoachSpeak at its finest.