Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
BREAKING: Vikings and Justin Jefferson agree on new contract
(06-04-2024, 01:09 PM)badgervike Wrote: Not sure this is that much more Jim.  This gets us another year with Jefferson and remember he played last year on the last non option rookie year for $2.4M.  

So...if we take their word for it....the extension would have paid him $30m last year.  That's a difference of $27.6M.  If you divide that difference over 4 years you'll get an additional $6.9m.  Add the $6.9M per year to the reported $28M per year offered...it comes in right about the same number ($34.9M per year).   Plus...we get Jefferson for another year and what might look like a bargain in his last few contract years.

Btw..several news outlets reported the Vikings had offered $30M per year last year (not $28M).  If that's the case...this is a better deal..  

Anyway...he's a Viking for a while...unless he pulls a Diggs.  So glad to have him.

depends on how it was structured, if it was a 4 year extension, which this one is, then it would have still been added onto the end of his rookie deal with whatever reworking they would do to get him more money up front. either way, he didnt sign so its really a non talker, especially without any of the particulars.

(06-04-2024, 01:26 PM)JimmyinSD Wrote: depends on how it was structured,  if it was a 4 year extension, which this one is,  then it would have still been added onto the end of his rookie deal with whatever reworking they would do to get him more money up front.  either way,  he didnt sign so its really a non talker,  especially without any of the particulars.

No disagreement Jim.  We don't know the particulars.  But we do know that Jefferson played for peanuts last year.  If you amortize the difference from $28M supposedly offered to $2.4M earned in 2023 over 4 years...you get virtually the same contract.
[-] The following 2 users Like badgervike's post:

I heard it came down to term on the previous contract offer. Sounded like JJs agent wanted less term at the last minute, Vikings weren't willing to cave on that.

It's all water under the fridge now. He's signed and ready to rock. Was a smart move on JJ and his agent's part... they likely conceded from 3 to 4 years of term on this contract, but with the other WR contracts that got done, he's getting more money than was being discussed at this time last off-season.

Good deal for the Vikings too because even though they are paying more, they have an extra year of control and the cap went up again so even though the price went up, the percentage of the cap is similar.

Yay!!! SKOL

So... $200 for a t-shirt is a lot but he's here for awhile and it's cheaper than $350. Also a throwback which I know most including myself prefer, rather than the new look.

https://www.scheels.com/p/nike-minnesota...erson.html

(No I don't have any affiliation with Scheels. Just saw this and figured I'd share if anyone is in the market for a jersey, since our guy is gonna be around awhile Smile.)

(06-04-2024, 03:49 PM)pattersaur Wrote: So... $200 for a t-shirt is a lot but he's here for awhile and it's cheaper than $350. Also a throwback which I know most including myself prefer, rather than the new look.

https://www.scheels.com/p/nike-minnesota...erson.html

(No I don't have any affiliation with Scheels. Just saw this and figured I'd share if anyone is in the market for a jersey, since our guy is gonna be around awhile Smile.)

Jersey prices are nuts. The last player's jersey I bought was Randy Moss and that was in 2000? I only buy Minnesota Vikings related apparel since then and honestly I'm pretty good with what I have, both in shirts and hats. Won't need to buy anything else. Wife all set as well as they've really stepped up their game for women's NFL apparel in the last 10+ years.

(06-05-2024, 05:50 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: Jersey prices are nuts. The last player's jersey I bought was Randy Moss and that was in 2000? I only buy Minnesota Vikings related apparel since then and honestly I'm pretty good with what I have, both in shirts and hats. Won't need to buy anything else. Wife all set as well as they've really stepped up their game for women's NFL apparel in the last 10+ years.

I bought my first Viking jersey in about a decade last mos; An Alan Page #88 Classic Style off the Vikings site, so NFL product. 

I think that bad-boy set me back close to a couple hundred.

Jets tried to trade for JJ. Vikings said no. 

According to a bombshell report from ESPN NFL insider Adam Schefter, via Bleacher Report, the Jets tried to pull off a blockbuster trade with the Minnesota Vikings for superstar wide receiver Justin Jefferson.

Even though they placed a call to the Vikings, Minnesota made it clear that they weren't interested in trading Jefferson. Instead, they ended up locking the superstar wide receiver up to a massive four-year, $140 million extension. Clearly, they weren't about to let Jefferson get away.

(06-06-2024, 10:14 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: Jets tried to trade for JJ. Vikings said no. 

According to a bombshell report from ESPN NFL insider Adam Schefter, via Bleacher Report, the Jets tried to pull off a blockbuster trade with the Minnesota Vikings for superstar wide receiver Justin Jefferson.

Even though they placed a call to the Vikings, Minnesota made it clear that they weren't interested in trading Jefferson. Instead, they ended up locking the superstar wide receiver up to a massive four-year, $140 million extension. Clearly, they weren't about to let Jefferson get away.

I don't doubt it. And Minnesota was right to keep Jefferson. He's 24 years old. He makes the whole offense better.

This shows you a franchise talent with unreal production can be gotten with the #22 pick in round 1. A NFL team, with smart personnel people like the Eagles, needing a WRer, can choose a complete bust just one selection before with Reagor. The Draft is crazy.....and its a crapshoot. And it varies year to year. Some fans wanted to bag on KAM and I said lets wait until the draft and FA is over, then see. And he nailed it.

(06-06-2024, 10:14 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: Jets tried to trade for JJ. Vikings said no. 

Sorry little Adam, 
I don't care how you want to spin it, a "bombshell report" of a phone call from the Jets asking if they would be open to a trade does not carry the same weight as having serious conversations about it.  If the Vikings made it clear they weren't interested, it would be the same as me calling up my bank and asking for a $5 million loan, and the bank telling me they were not interested (chuckling aside).  

That does not constitute a bombshell report.  That's just fishing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Montana Tom's post: