Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bust
(06-05-2024, 07:35 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: Agree. It's just stupid and lazy. JJM will be QB3 not because his coaches were once QB3s, but because the team will trust Mullens more in case of injury to Darnold.

Why would anyone who saw Mullens last year trust him now?!?  Tongue

(06-06-2024, 01:14 AM)RS_Express Wrote: Why would anyone who saw Mullens last year trust him now?!?  Tongue

As bad as he can be, this is 4-pick Nick's 3rd season in the offense. He knows it better than any QB on the roster.

(06-05-2024, 09:51 PM)hogjowlsjohnny Wrote: Mullens? I remember the game he threw for over 400 yards, 2 TD's, and 4 interceptions. JJ will start at number 3 but will quickly surpass Mullens and threaten for the starting position by the end of training camp.
I know that's not the prevailing hope of most on this board, but is common for QB's drafted early first round.
If he is as good as we think he is, he will show his potential to start by then.

This is certainly possible. But the overwhelming vibe I'm getting from KAM and KOC is that they don't want to take any chances with their prize QBOTF. They've made specific comments about taking their time with his development, even saying some teams have "dirty hands" for failing to properly develop a young QB before throwing him into the fire and letting him burn. 

Couple other things make this different than other situations...McCarthy is younger than most QBs drafted in the 1st round. He just turned 21. Also, this isn't like most offenses. It's notoriously complex. Cousins said he wasn't comfortable in it until late in the season. And finally, window and Sam Darnold. This looks like it could be a pretty good team, but it's not a Super Bowl team. That comes in 2025. There's just no need to rush McCarthy's development. And if they're patient, I think it will pay off in 2025.
[-] The following 6 users Like MaroonBells's post:

I am also on board with taking it slow with JJM. It really takes years for most QB's to truly master their craft. Some are truly gifted and have success early when placed into the right situation, but many more are ruined or not given a fair chance by being rushed in before they are ready. I don't ever want to see another Ponder situation on the Vikings. Maybe he never would have developed, but he was no where close to ready when he hit the field. That's bad coaching. I don't think we have that problem now.
But fans will definitely clamor for JJM to start if Darnold struggles.
[-] The following 1 user Likes hogjowlsjohnny's post:

(06-05-2024, 09:51 PM)hogjowlsjohnny Wrote: Mullens? I remember the game he threw for over 400 yards, 2 TD's, and 4 interceptions. JJ will start at number 3 but will quickly surpass Mullens and threaten for the starting position by the end of training camp.
I know that's not the prevailing hope of most on this board, but is common for QB's drafted early first round.
If he is as good as we think he is, he will show his potential to start by then.

I don’t think JJM will ever be the #2 QB this season.  Either he’ll be in learning mode, and Mullens will be the gameday backup, or he’ll be the starter.  In a situation where there’s a Darnold injury midgame, I would expect Mullens to finish the game, and then after the game they would determine if next weeks starter is Mullens or JJM.  I think it’s just a matter of who’s focusing on what, and as long as they want JJM focusing on fundamentals or mechanics or whatever, Mullens will be the backup focusing on the team we’re facing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes medaille's post:

(06-06-2024, 09:15 AM)medaille Wrote: I don’t think JJM will ever be the #2 QB this season.  Either he’ll be in learning mode, and Mullens will be the gameday backup, or he’ll be the starter.  In a situation where there’s a Darnold injury midgame, I would expect Mullens to finish the game, and then after the game they would determine if next weeks starter is Mullens or JJM.  I think it’s just a matter of who’s focusing on what, and as long as they want JJM focusing on fundamentals or mechanics or whatever, Mullens will be the backup focusing on the team we’re facing.

Have we given up on Hall already? Granted he was awful in that GB game but the OL did him no favors. The entire team was flat for that game. It was arguably the defenses worst game of the season.

Hall would have to prove in training camp that he's mastered the offense to the point where he could be counted on if needed. But, if he takes that step I can see the team keeping him over Mullens.

(06-06-2024, 08:41 AM)hogjowlsjohnny Wrote: I am also on board with taking it slow with JJM. It really takes years for most QB's to truly master their craft. Some are truly gifted and have success early when placed into the right situation, but many more are ruined or not given a fair chance by being rushed in before they are ready. I don't ever want to see another Ponder situation on the Vikings. Maybe he never would have developed, but he was no where close to ready when he hit the field. That's bad coaching. I don't think we have that problem now.
But fans will definitely clamor for JJM to start if Darnold struggles.

To the bold- and why wouldn't they (re: we)?

Let's say the team stinks and the QB play stinks. The benefits to keeping status quo are two-fold: you protect/coddle your investment in JJM, and you drive the tank towards a good pick.

Those are legitimate reasons and a solid argument for keeping Darnold or God forbid Mullens in there if things go pear shaped.

But IF that does happen, I certainly won't blame any fan for wanting to see what McCarthy can do. I'll be very curious myself and I personally think he'll see playing time a lot sooner than many others on this board do. JMO. If he comes in and sucks then he comes in and sucks. Peyton Manning sucked his rookie year too. It's not going to "ruin" him forever.
[-] The following 1 user Likes pattersaur's post: