Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BREAKING: Vikings make trade with Houston, add 1st round pick
Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"Montana Tom" said:
Actually, I would be pissed/disappointed if we packaged two and moved up a few spots.  We're good at 11 and 23.  I feel SOOOO much better sitting there.
My position:  I am not a fan of May or JJ McCarthy.  Jayden Daniels will not drop to 3.  There is some real talent at Penix and Nix that will definitely available at 11, possibly at 23 (but I wouldn't bet past Denver, who IS DEFINITELY going to snarff one of them up).

I will say this...getting that second 1st round pick has ENERGIZED this board.  Very good!
Prepare for disappointment. They didn't make a less than optimal trade to not move up. All part of the plan to get a top 4 or 5 pick. Move up a few spots? lol, well that's kind of a big deal to do in round one from #11 to possibly #3 to #5. 

Whether we move up or not it will be very difficult to screw this up.

Quote: @"Havoc1649" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
Just pick a QB better than Kramer, Ponder or Bridgewater please...
Obviously hoping for more, but I'd be OK with a Kramer. Maybe even a pre-knee Teddy. I'm just praying we don't end up with a Zach Wilson or a Josh Rosen or a Trey Lance or a Dwayne Haskins...someone who can't play in the NFL at all. 

We should be ok there. This group is supremely more talented. It’s closer to a Burrow, Tua, Herbert, Love group. Covid has presented a unique situation where we have ended up with essentialy two years of quality prospects in one draft. 

The more I thought about this last night, the more I think the target is either Daniels if possible, or most likely Nix at 4 or 5. 

I think Nix is their target and they know they need to get up there to be sure they can get him.The guy’s tape is simply too clean and too advanced to ignore. I get pundits and draft gurus being perplexed by him and the offense he played in, but there’s simply no world in which I see NFL coaches watching his tape and not recognizing how high his “ceiling” is. His “ceiling” (and I hate the whole ceiling floor stuff because it’s really not rational, but I’ll use it because people understand it) is along the lines of Aaron Rodgers. 

He actually reminds me a lot of Rodgers coming out. Both had that natural ball placement and accuracy while already recognizing how to attack defenses. Rodgers wasn’t as polished as Nix is, but he took the JC route before putting up two good yearsa Cal. Still, the traits are the same whether arm strength or ability to run. I screamed for Rodgers even though we already had a QB. When a guy has “it”, no matter what the so called “experts” say, you grab him. It’s my guess, KOC put on the tape and recognized the same things I do and he’s not the only one. Sean Payton will be coming for him and that’s why they need to move up. Rodgers faced the same knocks - not “prototype” size, probably maxed out, the system made him look better than he is…..it’s interesting how their evals line up - even though the tape showed extreme talent. 

We took Troy Williamson and Erasmus James that year and I’m still pissed at the stupidity of it. It was a weird draft in that you had Alex Smith the “consensus” number 1 pick and Rodgers the number 2, but a fair number of teams not that into him. In fact, Matt Jones a QB turned WR went before him. It was baffling and still is to this day. It will be interesting to see how things play out, but there may be as many 6 legit franchise QB’s come out of this draft. 
I dont think they acquired 2 #1 picks for Nix. If they dont get boxed out, I suspect its for Daniels - my #1 choice.

Nix is a very polarizing player to say the least. 

Hell, I guess they all are to some degree with Williams and Daniels seeming to garner the most overall accolades. Personally, I like Nix as a prospect more than Penix. 

I think 11 would be a massive over-reach for Nix or Penix. That said, I also wouldn't be surprised to see Denver run to the podium with his Nix's name if he was available at 12. 

The Vikings have never drafted a qb in the top 10. Since they are within shooting distance of doing so, why not take the shot at top shelf 

Quote: @"Havoc1649" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
Obviously hoping for more, but I'd be OK with a Kramer. Maybe even a pre-knee Teddy. I'm just praying we don't end up with a Zach Wilson or a Josh Rosen or a Trey Lance or a Dwayne Haskins...someone who can't play in the NFL at all. 

We should be ok there. This group is supremely more talented. It’s closer to a Burrow, Tua, Herbert, Love group. Covid has presented a unique situation where we have ended up with essentialy two years of quality prospects in one draft. 

The more I thought about this last night, the more I think the target is either Daniels if possible, or most likely Nix at 4 or 5. 

I think Nix is their target and they know they need to get up there to be sure they can get him.The guy’s tape is simply too clean and too advanced to ignore. I get pundits and draft gurus being perplexed by him and the offense he played in, but there’s simply no world in which I see NFL coaches watching his tape and not recognizing how high his “ceiling” is. His “ceiling” (and I hate the whole ceiling floor stuff because it’s really not rational, but I’ll use it because people understand it) is along the lines of Aaron Rodgers. 

He actually reminds me a lot of Rodgers coming out. Both had that natural ball placement and accuracy while already recognizing how to attack defenses. Rodgers wasn’t as polished as Nix is, but he took the JC route before putting up two good yearsa Cal. Still, the traits are the same whether arm strength or ability to run. I screamed for Rodgers even though we already had a QB. When a guy has “it”, no matter what the so called “experts” say, you grab him. It’s my guess, KOC put on the tape and recognized the same things I do and he’s not the only one. Sean Payton will be coming for him and that’s why they need to move up. Rodgers faced the same knocks - not “prototype” size, probably maxed out, the system made him look better than he is…..it’s interesting how their evals line up - even though the tape showed extreme talent. 

We took Troy Williamson and Erasmus James that year and I’m still pissed at the stupidity of it. It was a weird draft in that you had Alex Smith the “consensus” number 1 pick and Rodgers the number 2, but a fair number of teams not that into him. In fact, Matt Jones a QB turned WR went before him. It was baffling and still is to this day. It will be interesting to see how things play out, but there may be as many 6 legit franchise QB’s come out of this draft. 
I think you're right to question the consensus. It's very unlikely they go off the board exactly as consensus has them now. Because it almost never happens.

And everyone seems convinced the Vikings like Maye and McCarthy. And right now that would be my guess too. But it could be totally different. Vikings may have Nix or even Penix ranked ahead of McCarthy...or even Maye. We just don't know. Personally, I don't see a huge difference between the four. There's not one I love, nor is there one I hate. So it does kinda make you wonder if getting to the top of that group is really worth what it will take to do it.  

Matt Jones! What a joke of a pick that was. My guy Vincent Jackson from right up the street in Greeley was the better receiver BY FAR that year and he went about 40 picks later. 

Quote: @"FLVike" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"Montana Tom" said:
Actually, I would be pissed/disappointed if we packaged two and moved up a few spots.  We're good at 11 and 23.  I feel SOOOO much better sitting there.
My position:  I am not a fan of May or JJ McCarthy.  Jayden Daniels will not drop to 3.  There is some real talent at Penix and Nix that will definitely available at 11, possibly at 23 (but I wouldn't bet past Denver, who IS DEFINITELY going to snarff one of them up).

I will say this...getting that second 1st round pick has ENERGIZED this board.  Very good!
Prepare for disappointment. They didn't make a less than optimal trade to not move up. All part of the plan to get a top 4 or 5 pick. Move up a few spots? lol, well that's kind of a big deal to do in round one from #11 to possibly #3 to #5. 

But if anyone can fuck it up, it's KAM. Right?

@"FLVike" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"Montana Tom" said:

[Image: 91zqb6hdgbza.gif]

@"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
Cowherd loves himself some KOC......yes, I know what I did there.  :p

https://twitter.com/ColinCowherd/status/...2166441013
You wouldn't know it by listening to Viking fans, but KOC is generally considered one of the better play callers in the NFL
Its because he is. 
Unless it includes a run.

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"Havoc1649" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

I think you're right to question the consensus. It's very unlikely they go off the board exactly as consensus has them now. Because it almost never happens.

And everyone seems convinced the Vikings like Maye and McCarthy. And right now that would be my guess too. But it could be totally different. Vikings may have Nix or even Penix ranked ahead of McCarthy...or even Maye. We just don't know. Personally, I don't see a huge difference between the four. There's not one I love, nor is there one I hate. So it does kinda make you wonder if getting to the top of that group is really worth what it will take to do it.  

Matt Jones! What a joke of a pick that was. My guy Vincent Jackson from right up the street in Greeley was the better receiver BY FAR that year and he went about 40 picks later. 

I do like them all for various reasons. Nix just pops out as different on the tape. He’s just so far ahead from an NFL standpoint. As far as where a QB needs to be in decision making, he’s like a 3rd year NFL QB. Dirty pocket, clean pocket, under pressure, on the move, hitting any spot out to 60 air yards - it’s all there on tape, He even meets the Parcells QB formula or whatever it’s called. 

The draft is a super interesting examle of group psychology. If you watch people like Phil Sims, Kurt Warner, or heck quite a few former Quarterbacks, their evaluations are hilarious. They all basically say everything I do after watching his tape. Most can’t identify any major issues. When they are asked when he’ll be drafted? Almost to a man, they say late first or second round. It really goes to show the power of group think. Very few of these guys have the courage to step outside of the mainstream group think.

Like I said though, you won’t hear a complaint from me if they go with one of the others. Maye for example is 5 or 6 on my board, but if KOC thinks he can fix his issues, he has all the tools to be great. 

@"FLVike" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"Montana Tom" said:

I kind of feel a little bit cynicism coming through here.

Quote: @"FLVike" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"Montana Tom" said:

Well there's a kiss of death if I've ever read one.  Thanks so much  :p