Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wilkins and Vikings: strong and mutual interest
Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
According to Dan Graziano, the Lions and Texans are also expected to make a run at Wilkins. He will certainly have suitors he can play off each other.

Would I like Wilkins, yes, but he will be 29 this year, really was a pretty average player before he broke out last season with 9 sacks, and he's kind of a goofball. I actually think there is some talent at DT in this year's draft, and might prefer to go that route over backing up the Brinks truck for Wilkins, but we'll see what the analytics say...
I think MN will end up being one of the top 2-3 suitors for him once the market opens. Finding a difference maker, up front is a high priority on their list. Like all of these deals the Vikings negotiate, it'll come down to guarantee structure. I don't think they'd bat an eye paying him $24-$25M a year but will want it structured as a 2+1 which is sometimes tough with open market guys. 
Both Houston and Detroit have more available cap space than Minnesota and are more attractive from a contender standpoint. I think we'd have to grossly overpay to get him if it came down to a bidding war, and at what expense would that cost us when it came to addressing other positions of need? Would I like to have Wilkins, yes...but...
Winning matters, but its not the only consideration for guys. Who you play for/with (Flores) and amenities (which the Vikings have plenty of) matter just as much if not more. Can't say what Wilkins prefers. But MN can play competitively on the FA market. If Kirk returns I think you could argue their path to competitiveness. Especially if they trade for a CB. 
I'm not sure how much playing again for Flores is a plus on our side. Like I said, Wilkins was pretty average under Flores and didn't really do much until Fangio came in this last season and he doubled his career high sack total. I'd rather see us do everything we could to bring back Hunter/Wonnum and look at DT in the draft where I think there are some good ones for a change. 

49ers just released Arik Armstead. That would be someone to watch out for in Minnesota 

Quote: @"supafreak84" said:
49ers just released Arik Armstead. That would be someone to watch out for in Minnesota 

That depends on if they're able to resign Kirko. If they can, then they should be competitive this season & it makes sense to sign players who are older than 30. If they can't resign Kirko I don't see the team being competitive & they should focus on signing younger players coming off of their first contract & may still be here when their competitive window opens in 2025 or later.

Quote: @"supafreak84" said:
I'm not sure how much playing again for Flores is a plus on our side. Like I said, Wilkins was pretty average under Flores and didn't really do much until Fangio came in this last season and he doubled his career high sack total. I'd rather see us do everything we could to bring back Hunter/Wonnum and look at DT in the draft where I think there are some good ones for a change. 
Great point, many forget that Flores was not loved by some players, coaches and management in Miami.

Wilkins to the Raiders.  4 years, $110M

Oh well, such is life. It's business and some dudes are going to chase bags elsewhere 

Maybe Kinlaw becomes an option. Fits the mold of the type of player KAM goes for - former 1st rounder, position of need, coming off first contract.

Quote: @"badgervike" said:
Wilkins to the Raiders.  4 years, $110M
Vikings were in it up to a little under $25M. Wouldn't have gotten close to the Raiders offer.