Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tis the season of throwing s#$% against the wall
Quote: @Knucklehead said:
Did anyone notice that Seattle hired Penix's QB coach at the U. of Washington, Ryan Grubb, to be their new OC? Seattle owns the 16th pick. They have no 2nd round pick (traded to NYG at the deadline for Leonard Williams). Geno Smith is in the final year of his contract. Their back up QB is Drew Lock who is an UFA.
It's possible that 6 QBs will be off the board by pick #16.

Why yes, see page #20 of the 2024 QB Watch thread…  B)  https://vikefans.com/discussion/#/discussion/comment/206026

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@CFIAvike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@CFIAvike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@CFIAvike said:
Kirk Cousins, was brought along at the same time as RG3.  Purdy was at the same time as Lance,  I'm sure there are more but I'm not going to chase it.  I'm guessing there are plenty of teams that wished they wouldn't have waited so long to bring in another young QB when they had one that didn't pan out.
Hindsight is always 20/20. The problem with your argument is every team, when they take a QB high, is fully planning on him being the face of the franchise. 

Cousins getting taken in the 4th the same year as RG3 is the only time I can ever recall a team “doubling down” on a QB. Purdy was taken with the last pick in the draft. There’s absolutely no way they were planning on Purdy being anything other than a coin flip developmental guy when he was taken. 

Teams are going to give a QB at least 2-3 years to develop when they spend a high draft pick on them. You move on from a 4th rounder in one year (ala Jaren Hall), you don’t punt a first or second rounder after half a season. 
For the last time. Nobody is punting them in 1 year,  simply having a back up plan in place.  Do you wait until your car is completely out of gas before you fill it back up?  Then what's so hard about bringing along 2 or 3 QBs at the same time and jetting the weakest ones beofre they hit free agency and going back to the well?  This isn't about finding 1 QB,  this is about keeping that cupboard full so you aren't as likely to find yourself stranded on the side of the road again.
You don’t keep drafting QBs high one year after another because it’ll affect the development of the first guy you take. You think a young QB is going to develop if they’re worried they’re going to lose their job/starting position every time they make a mistake because the team continually drafts their replacement year after year?

That’s why teams don’t go about it this way. 
Every other player on the field has competition,  those QBs have had competition since they started playing the damn game,  especially in college,  they don't become mental pussies until they dont have to face competition at the pro level. 

As far as what teams do or don't do....who gives a fuck?  Maybe quality QB play wouldnt be so rare if they changed their approach,   what they are doing now isn't working for 75% of the teams in the league so it's hardly the benchmark for finding and developing quality QB play.

Also,  you don't have to take every QB in the first or 2md round unless you don't have a couple already in the system,  if the Vikes were to go day 1 this year, day 2 next year,  or if Hall suddenly looks like he has a future,  that takes the pressure off year 3,  but the way it's been done in the past just doesn't work as evidenced by our situation once again.
All I'm saying is you're arguing for an approach that literally no team has done or likely will do.  If we draft a QB high this year, there is almost no chance that the team will invest even a second or third rounder in the position again until they're 2-3 years down the road because they will be trying to build around the young man.  While you may think your approach is the best way to go at it...no team in the NFL agrees...none.  MY scenario is actually rooted in the reality of how teams historically have acted.  If we take a QB in the first round this year....THAT is the guy that this front office is hanging their hat on to be the future face of the franchise and their future with the team will depend on it.
If it was conventional thinking and it worked,  then what's the point of talking about it?  Point is that teams have the most trouble with finding a QB and it's this conventional thinking that keeps them in those ruts,....  or keep doing it the same way and complain when it didn't work.  Perhaps it's time to take a different approach if we want different results?

You can literally find average  starters in free agency every year at every position,  except QB,  why isn't more emphasis put on drafting and developing QBs?  Especially when you factor the impact they have on the cap.

Maybe you should try to be an NFL GM and fix the system then….lol

I’m not trying to debate what some guy on a Vikings message board THINKS is a new revolutionary way to go about finding a QB. I’m trying to live in the reality of how teams ACTUALLY operate…. and your “draft a QB every year until they find one” AIN’T reality. 

Quote: @CFIAvike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@CFIAvike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@CFIAvike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@CFIAvike said:
Kirk Cousins, was brought along at the same time as RG3.  Purdy was at the same time as Lance,  I'm sure there are more but I'm not going to chase it.  I'm guessing there are plenty of teams that wished they wouldn't have waited so long to bring in another young QB when they had one that didn't pan out.
Hindsight is always 20/20. The problem with your argument is every team, when they take a QB high, is fully planning on him being the face of the franchise. 

Cousins getting taken in the 4th the same year as RG3 is the only time I can ever recall a team “doubling down” on a QB. Purdy was taken with the last pick in the draft. There’s absolutely no way they were planning on Purdy being anything other than a coin flip developmental guy when he was taken. 

Teams are going to give a QB at least 2-3 years to develop when they spend a high draft pick on them. You move on from a 4th rounder in one year (ala Jaren Hall), you don’t punt a first or second rounder after half a season. 
For the last time. Nobody is punting them in 1 year,  simply having a back up plan in place.  Do you wait until your car is completely out of gas before you fill it back up?  Then what's so hard about bringing along 2 or 3 QBs at the same time and jetting the weakest ones beofre they hit free agency and going back to the well?  This isn't about finding 1 QB,  this is about keeping that cupboard full so you aren't as likely to find yourself stranded on the side of the road again.
You don’t keep drafting QBs high one year after another because it’ll affect the development of the first guy you take. You think a young QB is going to develop if they’re worried they’re going to lose their job/starting position every time they make a mistake because the team continually drafts their replacement year after year?

That’s why teams don’t go about it this way. 
Every other player on the field has competition,  those QBs have had competition since they started playing the damn game,  especially in college,  they don't become mental pussies until they dont have to face competition at the pro level. 

As far as what teams do or don't do....who gives a fuck?  Maybe quality QB play wouldnt be so rare if they changed their approach,   what they are doing now isn't working for 75% of the teams in the league so it's hardly the benchmark for finding and developing quality QB play.

Also,  you don't have to take every QB in the first or 2md round unless you don't have a couple already in the system,  if the Vikes were to go day 1 this year, day 2 next year,  or if Hall suddenly looks like he has a future,  that takes the pressure off year 3,  but the way it's been done in the past just doesn't work as evidenced by our situation once again.
All I'm saying is you're arguing for an approach that literally no team has done or likely will do.  If we draft a QB high this year, there is almost no chance that the team will invest even a second or third rounder in the position again until they're 2-3 years down the road because they will be trying to build around the young man.  While you may think your approach is the best way to go at it...no team in the NFL agrees...none.  MY scenario is actually rooted in the reality of how teams historically have acted.  If we take a QB in the first round this year....THAT is the guy that this front office is hanging their hat on to be the future face of the franchise and their future with the team will depend on it.
If it was conventional thinking and it worked,  then what's the point of talking about it?  Point is that teams have the most trouble with finding a QB and it's this conventional thinking that keeps them in those ruts,....  or keep doing it the same way and complain when it didn't work.  Perhaps it's time to take a different approach if we want different results?

You can literally find average  starters in free agency every year at every position,  except QB,  why isn't more emphasis put on drafting and developing QBs?  Especially when you factor the impact they have on the cap.

Maybe you should try to be an NFL GM and fix the system then….lol

I’m not trying to debate what some guy on a Vikings message board THINKS is a new revolutionary way to go about finding a QB. I’m trying to live in the reality of how teams ACTUALLY operate…. and your “draft a QB every year until they find one” AIN’T reality. 
Pretty simple then,  don't fucking reply...let me save you a ton of time, lots of shit on here isn't reality,  it's nothing more than fans ideas and thoughts being kicked around.

And you are still wrong,  it does happen, no more reality than Washington taking RG3 and Cousins in the same draft,  does it happen often...no,  should it happen more often,  obviously you don't think so,  but it doesn't mean it's not a valid concept.

By the way,  nice 2nd grade level retort to start your reply,   Here's another good one for ya "sticks and stones may break my bones,  but words will never hurt me"  :p

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
Latest Walter Football Mock has us passing on JJM at 11 for Byron Murphy II

https://walterfootball.com/draft2024.php
Jesus, Walter, pay a goddam web designer. Nothing like clicking on a link and being sent back 30 years to the days of Lycos and MySpace. And who did your logo? Your mom?