Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Misc. Thoughts
 @ThunderGod said:
Quote:Was yesterday’s first half the best we could scheme for Dobbs?
Yeah, right ? In the middle of the third quarter Dobbs had 2 yards passing!
And this offensive explosion came after the bye week!

Quote: @jargomcfargo said:
 @ThunderGod said:
Was yesterday’s first half the best we could scheme for Dobbs?

And how many TDs do we have in three weeks?  One?

Not throwing KOC under the bus but “C’mon man!” 

• Teams adjusted to Dobbs quickly. I had hoped with the bye and Jefferson coming back that Dobbs could get back on track, but that did not happen. Teams countered his mobility, were jumping on routes aggressively, and the pressure was getting to him consistently yesterday. Unfortunately, he did not have answers for any of these things and had to be benched.
  • Switching to Mullens was the right call, he got the offense moving enough to get on the scoreboard and they were able to eek out a win. The real question is how quickly can defenses adjust to him and will be able to adapt once teams have film on him? It's interesting, in the past we had backups who just weren't capable of playing at all. Under O'Connell Hall, Dobbs, and Mullens have all looked like capable passers, at least for a while and the questions then start once teams have a chance to adapt to them.
  • The quick rise and fall of Dobbs makes me think the chances of Cousins coming back have increased.
  • The running game needs to be addressed in the off-season. Letting Cook go appears to have been the right call, but Mattison has not worked out as a primary back and while Chandler looks interesting at times, he's probably a better change of pace back. Hopefully, running back is a priority in the draft.
  • The job that Flores has done with the defense is nothing short of amazing. This was not a unit that most people expected anything from, but they just keep getting better as the season wears on. Guys like Matellus, Bynum, Pace, and Tonga have really stepped up.

Quote: @ThunderGod said:
@jargomcfargo said:
 @ThunderGod said:
Was yesterday’s first half the best we could scheme for Dobbs?

And how many TDs do we have in three weeks?  One?

Not throwing KOC under the bus but “C’mon man!” 
True...KOC calls the plays, but the players must execute them and make them work...

Quote: @StickyBun said:
So Greg Joseph has made 49 kicks in a row under 40 yards? I saw that stat yesterday?
I saw that also and immediately thought -- I guess extra points don't figure into that stat.

I do wonder whether Dobbs throws a "catchable" ball?  Lots of drops with Dobbs.

Quote: @VikingOracle said:
@StickyBun said:
What I found interesting was the inside info the broadcasting crew said about talking with KOC about Dobbs. KOC said he felt he 'owed it to Dobbs to not treat him like all the other teams and see if they could make inroads with the bye week' (paraphrasing). lol, how'd that work out? I don't know if it was his hubris to think he could fix Dobbs or that he didn't have the guts to yank him and start Mullens against the Raiders. 
That is very on brand for KOC.  Part of me respects that as I think it builds loyalty among the players but as I said above, I wish KOC had more of a killer instinct.  I do think we are seeing much player development under KOC but I worry deeply about Kwesi's analytical approach (I believe in analytics, I just think Kwesi does it poorly) and KOC being too nice to people outside the buildings (the other team and refs).

I couldn't be happier with the way KOC made the change.

KOC's moves are made for the team, not the fanbase.

He's got major stones and I respect that. Go KOC

Quote: @VikingOracle said:
I do wonder whether Dobbs throws a "catchable" ball?  Lots of drops with Dobbs.
Definitely one of the things I was wondering as well.  When a QB is in sync with his receivers, generally predictable ball placement and velocity, and throwing a "catchable" ball is not the same between individuals.  It takes time.  I remember a hundred years ago in a JV game where I was thrown into WR (I was normally a halfback...long, long time ago), and we had a good QB who I had never practiced catching balls from.  He threw me a rifle shot, accurate as hell, and I was simply not prepared for the velocity and it bounced off my hands (why do some things haunt us for decades?)  
Anyway, that is something that Cousins was pretty decent at...not all his passes were rifle shots, he was able to put a touch on them when necessary.  Not saying Dobbs didn't/couldn't do that...I remember one of his TD improvs featured a nice "touch" pass over the DB.  But it seemed like the more he played, the more he threw hard rifle shots.  And if he was a hair off, it could translate to ahead, over, behind the receiver by inches (or feet), making it more difficult than necessary.    So yes, I think you're on to something there, Oracle.