Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Terrible Coaching Performance by KOC
Quote: @1VikesFan said:
@purplefaithful said:
So if I get this right....

The QB throws 4 int's, is off on 85% of his throws all night, the coach limits his passing cause the guy is clearly in over his head..

So this is the coaches fault? 
Agree, 7 turnovers in the last two losses and a QB that looks completely lost. Yet somehow KOC's coaching is where so many want to place the blame. How could he trust Dobbs to be successful on the last drive after he sucked the entire game? 
Rather than argue about KOC's in-game decisions (which I think are highly questionable at times), I would just say what I've been saying here for several weeks: Dobbs is a known commodity and a turnover machine.  And the Vikings, and certainly KOC, do not possess some football pixie dust that will turn him into something more than exactly what he is.  

Now as a backup who has to come in and manage a couple of games, he's fine.  He's a decent backup.  An asset even. But he's not starter material.  And he can't be made into Kirk Junior, standing in the pocket taking hits while delivering darts no matter how hard KOC tries.  It's not Dobbs' game or strength.

So a good coach would call a game that plays to Dobbs strengths.  Rollouts, moving pockets, qb runs.  And I'll go a step further:  a good coach whose QB1 went down would have a plan.  That plan appeared to be giving Jaren Hall a shot.  Which I endorse as a forward-thinking move for an organization that never seems to plan much past the current moment's obsession with bottom-end playoff appearances.

That same good coach when faced with Hall's injury, would get what he could out of the QB3 they just acquired - and he gets credit for a very good job there in Atlanta.

But that same good coach, being paid millions and surrounded by smart football people with the best data money can buy, would realize what that QB3 is and isn't, and not decide to ditch the plan and fiddle fuck around turning QB3 and his seven year history of riding NFL pine into the rocky, discombobulated experiment we've witnessed in the last two losses.

I know it's hard to make a long term choice when the spectre of another first round playoff embarrassment is looming out there like a stripper who just needs a few more bucks in the g-string to *really* give you what you came for, but sticking to the plan with Hall was the right move, and adhering to a fantasy about Dobbs was the wrong one.  And I saw this all coming as clear as day and no one is paying me millions to work for the team and I still use Excel 2007 on my crusty old laptop.  

Here's the thing -- Hall was not the plan.  Mullens was the plan, and he was mysteriously down with a back injury despite not having played a down of contact football.  Mullens can run the Cousins plan (albeit not nearly as well).  There was no plan for a mobile QB...

Quote: @Purpleblooded said:
Here's the thing -- Hall was not the plan.  Mullens was the plan, and he was mysteriously down with a back injury despite not having played a down of contact football.  Mullens can run the Cousins plan (albeit not nearly as well).  There was no plan for a mobile QB...
Mullens, like Dobbs is a ticket to nowhere.  The only move with upside is Hall, because he either surprises us, or stinks which improves our ability to draft a QB next spring.  The organization doesn't seem to have a clue here, which is just its usual m.o.

Quote: @Purpleblooded said:
This doesn’t make any sense. 
There are no players who are “the plan” and players who are “not the
plan”.  All the players are part of the
plan.  Mullens was resigned prior to
drafting Hall, he gave us a “competent” backup option at QB if Cousins went
down and if we couldn’t draft a QB, but probably wasn’t going to provide the
potential upside of a drafted QB.  We
went into the draft looking for a QB with upside, didn’t find one early in the
draft, but got Hall late.  Furthermore,
the plan constantly evolves.  We’re not
using the outdated plan that they formulated in March prior to resigning
Mullens.  Hall isn’t the unknown quantity
he was immediately after the draft.  They
see him in practice everyday. 
Furthermore, I don’t think who the backup is on any given Sunday is a direct
hierarchy, where you can assume that if the starter goes out, that the backup
is automatically the next starter. 
Mullens is probably going to be the backup for every game, just because
he has the experience and knowledge to survive being tossed in a game cold and
lets Hall focus on developing week to week. 
I don’t think that rules Hall out at becoming the starter.

Did you see a plan for a mobile quarterback?  I did not.  Yes, plans are always evolving but that is really my point -- KOC has not, so far, evolved his scheme to fit Dobbs.  I know Hall is more mobile as well -- just haven't seen enough of him to know what his skillset is.  I guess we will see what KOC ultimately thinks when he announces the starter against the Raiders...

I disagree that there is not a plan. 

The plan is dictated by the depth chart.

That is until you are down to your 3rd or 4th stringer the last 1/4 of a season. At that point you are literally week to week.