Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dobbs hit his ceiling
Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Greylock" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Greylock" said:
The offensive line played like crap didn't give Dobbs enough time to look for his 3rd or 4th read on many plays. The defense in the 2nd half seemed to play soft at times, too many 3 man rushes that did nothing.  Nobody had a good game and there was enough blame to go around.  

Dobbs didn't have a good game but other than the games he started for Arizona earlier this season he has never really played in any meaningful games so to say like the OP said that he has hit his ceiling how the hell do we know that.  

@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"ThunderGod" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"TBro" said:
Dobbs didn't have a crucial drive killing, game changing fumble. Dobbs didn't drop an interception in the end zone(Metellus) that would have taken 3 points off the board or provide loose coverage on Sutton in the end zone that forced Blackmon to come over and try to make a game saving pass breakup. Dobbs didn't revert the defense back into the Donashell for the Broncos Game Winning Drive where we played prevent and let Wilson get comfortable. It's only game 3 for him with no offseason to work with this staff and teammates. I still think that Dobbs allows us a chance to get off the Cousins Contract Prison we always find ourselves in. If we can sign Dobbs to a reasonable deal, we can use the savings to work on filling out this roster. Let him have a full offseason with KOC and let him compete with Hall and a soon to be drafted Rookie for the starting job in 2024. There is a reason we didn't sign Sign Cousins in the offseason with the contract he and his agent offered, there is a reason we drafted Hall, and there is a reason we signed Dobbs. Cousins, even with an injury discount, will still want too much money, and he doesn't fit the scheme that O'Connell wants to run with a mobile QB. 
I agree,   this changes nothing IMO on Cousins.  Dobbs ball placement was pretty shitty last night,  so this loss is not solely off his shoulders,  but as you say,  its week 3 is all,  just as people were to quick to jump in the hype,  they shouldn't be to quick to jump off that train.  IMO Dobbs gets the Bears game and if we don't see better ball placement there,  then be looking to Mullins or Hall.

Either way,  I dont see last night's loss as some sort of mandate that we should resign Cousins.
i agree with everything except playing Mullins.  We know Mullins.  They need to know more about if Dobbs and Hall can have a future with the Vikings.

Have we seen Mullins in live action with time to prepare with the ones when we arent running vanilla preseason schemes and not playing our starters.
Mullins is a backup for a reason and if he had what it takes to run more than vanilla preseason schemes without starters he would be a starter somewhere else instead of sitting on the bench with a bad back.
Dobbs has been a career back up,  Cousins was a back up to RG3,  Brady was a back up,  Mahomes was a back up, lots of success stories start from the back up role.  I am not trying to advocate for Mullins,  but until a player gets a chance to showcase his skills,  he isnt likely going to get a chance to start elsewhere, to write him off simply because he is currently a back up is about as short sighted as the notion that we have seen Dobbs ceiling based on 3 weeks with the team.
Then wouldn't that same logic apply to Dobbs as a backup finally getting a chance to showcase his skills?  Not saying Dobbs is the answer lets not write him off because he has been a backup to this point in his career.  I'm not saying your writing him off but maybe a slightly longer leash is needed based on his limited time with the team and without his number one receiver to this point.
who is writing him off?  I have defended Dobbs,   all I have said is if after the Bears game we dont see an improvement in ball placement and a few other issues he needs to clean up then I wouldnt mind seeing what Hall or Mullins has to offer.  There are only so many games left this year,  and if we really are moving on from Kirk,  then we need to know what we have in the other 2.  I already think Dobbs would likely be worth another contract ( prove it type deal that is incentive laden.)
And I didn't say you were writing him off.  I agree that after the Bears game if he doesn't improve some of his issues then see what Hall can do.  We do need to see what we have if they decide to move on from Kirk but I don't think that is Mullens.  If nothing else Dobbs has proven he is capable of being a dependable backup that is worth keeping, like you said on an incentive laden contract.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"Bullazin" said:
@"CFIAvike" said:
Honestly I know at this point we’re too far down the road to do it, but there really is no point to not starting Jaren Hall for the rest of the season once he’s cleared. The five wins in a row gave the season life and turned the playoffs into a realistic goal. If Kirk hasn’t gotten hurt, I think we could actually make a deep run and who knows at that point. 

I know…the marketing department did a wonderful job in painting Josh Dobbs a savior cemented by the two unlikely wins. But, seriously, Dobbs ain’t the guy. Tonight was everything Josh Dobbs will ever be…and that’s not enough. 

Tanking would be stupid at this point because they’ve already won too many games to get a great draft pick. Plus, all the passtrounaut bs has given the fanbase hope and you can’t realistically give up on that. 

I just think they need to find a way to transition back to Hall to see what they have. This holding onto the “competitive rebuild” masquerade they’re doing with Dobbs right now is doing more damage than it is benefit. 
This take is as bad as your “ Dobbs is elite” after watching 2 series of play. 

2 threads, both borderline trolling, interesting 
He'll be around as long as the team keeps losing. 
damn…what did i do to you guys?

I’m not trolling. I’ve been a member on this board for years…I just lurk most of the time. My bad for trying to participate. 

I questioned Dobbs and got heat for it.  You can look at his play with the Cards and find plenty of articles about his problems with picks and fumbles, and despite a game and a half of adrenaline fueled fun we've seen the same in purple.

But you get these maybe he just needs a 'chance' takes. The want-to-believe fires right up on next to nothing--a game and a half of improbable play.  How many guys are in the league for 7 years and are unrecognized superstars who just need a chance they somehow haven't gotten in those 7 years?  If you can see that then you can probably pick tonight's lottery numbers in advance too.

It was fun for a couple of games, but the reality of his ceiling hasn't changed.  It's NFL backup.

Quote: @"comet52" said:
I questioned Dobbs and got heat for it.  You can look at his play with the Cards and find plenty of articles about his problems with picks and fumbles, and despite a game and a half of adrenaline fueled fun we've seen the same in purple.

But you get these maybe he just needs a 'chance' takes. The want-to-believe fires right up on next to nothing--a game and a half of improbable play.  How many guys are in the league for 7 years and are unrecognized superstars who just need a chance they somehow haven't gotten in those 7 years?  If you can see that then you can probably pick tonight's lottery numbers in advance too.

It was fun for a couple of games, but the reality of his ceiling hasn't changed.  It's NFL backup.
I don't think you really got any heat, I did ask some questions.
As far as Dobbs, his game was not great nor horrible. It just really sucks they lost a game they should have won but it was his first loss with the team.

I didn't have a problem with the way Dobbs played. I think what we saw in the Denver game is about what we should expect from him. Some really nice throws and runs to keep the ball moving, mixed in with a couple misreads and mistakes. That's just the way it's going to be. He's a damn good backup and we're lucky to have him, but he's not Kirk Cousins. 

Bottom line is that if Mattison holds on to the ball OR Jackson is flagged for the flagrant foul, Vikings win easily and the Dobbs narrative is completely different. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
I didn't have a problem with the way Dobbs played. I think what we saw in the Denver game is about what we should expect from him. Some really nice throws and runs to keep the ball moving, mixed in with a couple misreads and mistakes. That's just the way it's going to be. He's a damn good backup and we're lucky to have him, but he's not Kirk Cousins. 

Bottom line is that if Mattison holds on to the ball OR Jackson is flagged for the flagrant foul, Vikings win easily and the Dobbs narrative is completely different. 
Mettelus' drop of the int in the end zone too...Immediately triggered Robert Griffith dropping the end zone int vs Birdies on NFCCG.

I really need therapy...

But yah, while I'll hope for more, I suspect the ceiling for Dobbs is back-up. Just enjoy the ride the rest of the season. 

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

Mettelus' drop of the int in the end zone too...Immediately triggered Robert Griffith dropping the end zone int vs Birdies on NFCCG.

I really need therapy...

But yah, while I'll hope for more, I suspect the ceiling for Dobbs is back-up. Just enjoy the ride the rest of the season. 

Yeah, this is a game my cardiologist probably doesn't want me to re-watch. 3/4 of the way through I'm sure I'll question if we really did lose that game. How could...wait, we somehow LOSE this game? 

I only take comfort in the fact that it really didn't mean that much. I didn't bet on the Vikings in this one because of all the injuries. Plus, I thought there would be a good chance we'd come out flat. But I was wrong. Dobbs continued to play fairly well given the circumstances. We ran the ball well and dominated on defense. That surprised me a little. And gives me hope down the stretch and into the playoffs. But man we really need to get healthy. 

Jaren Hall isn't ready to start in the NFL.

Until he changes  the way he runs/scrambles  he'll continue to get hurt.

Dobbs ceiling is tied to his ability to protect the ball and reduce unforced errors. 

He hasn't applied the coaching he's received.  I'm curious if KOC can reach  Dobbs. It's all right there.

IMO he has the ability.

We'll see.