Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So if you're the Vikings brass...

How much weight does JJ have as to who your QB is in 2024???

Huge offseason coming-up for KAM/KOC.

Exactly 0.

Not being flippant, but if I am the Vikings, I am looking for the best QB option I can find.  If that is Cousins, so be it.  If Dobbs continues to impress against the odds, then so be it.

But unless you are doing a complete rebuild, there should be 0 issues from your star WR as to who the QB will be, because both should want the same thing.

I like Dobbs but with the QBs available in the draft I would think Dobbs would have to win at least one playoff game.

I am looking at still taking a QB in the first round, I am going to want a veteran to help Hall and new QB,  so its going to be who I think gives me the best value, not necessarily the cheapest contract,  nor the best QB,  but the one that will give me cap and roster flexibility going forward so I can start to really build a team for the future that can win while we still have JJ, TJ, and a few other of the key pieces we currently have that are just at or before their primes.  If JJ wants to be here,  great,  if not then he better be a good soldier so we can at least flip him for some serious draft capital,  but I dont understand why he wouldnt want to be here where he is already the face of the franchise,  getting paid monster cash,  and has ownership willing to spend whatever it takes to try and win.

but he still doesnt get a voice in the personnel dept,  really at this point no player should.  Maybe,  if you have a generational type QB... maybe then.

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:

How much weight does JJ have as to who your QB is in 2024???

Huge offseason coming-up for KAM/KOC.
With respect to JJ’s influence -

1.  No way of knowing until hes in the lineup again with either Dobbs or Hall
2.  I have a nasty feeling that the better Addison plays, the less likely JJ gets paid.
3.  Still not sold completely on KAM. Analytics dont measure moxie, heart, and other intangibles
4. Dobbs is still learning the playbook, and hes has extended plays with his running ability, but what happens when defenses contain, and keep him in the pocket? 

Well, honestly the plan I'm sure is still grab a QB in round 1 or 2 next Spring. I'd love it, but I don't think Dobbs will maintain what he's been doing. I'd love for the team to have options: Kirk, Dobbs, etc. If Minnesota could draft a kid they really like, then do you still sign Cousins if you can get Dobbs cheaper and he continues to play decently? I don't know that answer, but it gives the team options which is always a good thing.

To answer your question, I don't worry about what JJ thinks. And has been mentioned already in this thread, JJ hasn't played with Dobbs yet. Or even Hall. But KOC and company is seeing what a mobile QB can do for his offense. I also think that KOC does really love Kirk, what he brings and he's a team leader. 
The team has won a lot of games already without JJ....and with little help from the run game. 

I think this has been eye opening for the staff on several levels. 

One scenario I could see playing out, is that Dobbs shows and fits in enough to be the bridge QB.   If there is a good chemistry with KOC and his offense it would make sense.  If Kirk comes back there will have to be a new contract that will need him to do something he has never done.  Take less money for a short duration, not sure he can do that.  The QB room with JD, JH and a draft pick to be named later has more potential having the savior QBOF in it than with KC and two of the other choices.  Dobbs has to show that he can sustain performance to earn that role, hope he can.