Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Overtime Proposal
The 2/3 chance of winning the game because of the coin toss is why they changed the rules a few years back. It is much more even now. I found this in an article from October 2015:

"Since the NFL instituted modified overtime rules, there have been 73 overtime games, including postseason and Monday Night Football. Three have been ties. In the other 70, the team that receives the ball first has won 38 of those, or 54.2 percent."

The only real problem I have with the new system is that if both teams score field goals, which can easily take 10 minutes of game clock, there's very little time left for another score. We see more ties, which nobody wants. My proposed solution to that is just to have the clock stop on out of bounds for the enitre overtime instead of just the last five minutes just to allow more time in sudden death mode, but I doubt the league is interested in making games longer. 

Quote: @"NoGoingBack" said:
The 2/3 chance of winning the game because of the coin toss is why they changed the rules a few years back. It is much more even now. I found this in an article from October 2015:

"Since the NFL instituted modified overtime rules, there have been 73 overtime games, including postseason and Monday Night Football. Three have been ties. In the other 70, the team that receives the ball first has won 38 of those, or 54.2 percent."

The only real problem I have with the new system is that if both teams score field goals, which can easily take 10 minutes of game clock, there's very little time left for another score. We see more ties, which nobody wants. My proposed solution to that is just to have the clock stop on out of bounds for the enitre overtime instead of just the last five minutes just to allow more time in sudden death mode, but I doubt the league is interested in making games longer. 
The wording on that is changed, "the team that receives the ball first" is not the same as the winner of the coin toss.  I can tell you as far as playoff overtime since the rule change (after the game I'm sure we all would like to forget), the winner of the coin toss is a perfect 6/6.

Tie games don't bother me.  In fact I think they kind of spice things up, standings-wise.   I'd rather see ties than gimmicky overtime rules.

Funny Comet, today I was reading this and thinking, "what if there wasn't an overtime?" What is wrong with a tie? With the extra point moved back and so much new incentive to go for two after a touchdown, I somewhat think if two teams end up tied after 4 quarters they should eat it. Eat the tie and win the game next week. Maybe we'd see more chances and gambles on those PAT/2pt plays?

With overtime eliminated, maybe tacking on an extra game (with 4 preseason games in tact) isn't a big deal. Maybe one more game helps break tiebreakers in the standings as tie games become more relevant? Maybe all it takes is one season to go by where a team or two with identical (tie) records end up out when another team makes it in to the playoffs, and teams/players beg for one more game to separate their record from the rest.

------

If "no OT" is dumb, here's a dumber one: How about soccer "extra time" rules? Have the game clock always run. No stoppage for an incomplete pass, turn over, or change of possession. No stoppage for a penalty announcement. Stop the clock when a commercial break occurs or when a real stoppage in the "game" happens, otherwise, wrap all of the written stoppage rules up and call them a part of the "game." At the end of 4 quarters, the team with possession keeps the ball right where they have it and the game goes into extra time. No water break, no extra time outs, just.... go. Let's say a game has accumulated +4:30 in time: It's not sudden death. The game plays out like a real game for 4:30. If one team scores, they kick off until that 4:30 is +spent. If they match the score... tie game. Or, maybe the current overtime rules would slide in nicely at that point: break, new quarter, equal possessions. As written, the current rules would kinda feel like "free kicks," since both teams get possession.

It would solve the unfairness that is subliminally tied to winning the coin toss in OT. Let the team keep the ball where ever they had it at the end of 4 quarters, add the exhausted clock time to the game clock, and don't cry if you can't string together a 9 play drive in 3 minutes to match an extra time score.