Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Situational Football : Jury still out on KOC
I like Kevin, but I am still not sold on him.  Just because you are young and held McVay's playbook doesn't make you innovative.  We have been suspect in play calling, establishing a running game, terrible in short yardage running situations.  I think this staff has been bailed out by having actual premier players at WR, TE, and last year RB. 

But one thing I don't get about KOC, his situational football awareness.  Two examples.  

1) End of the first half, Philly at the one, our guys don't seem to be ready but let's be real that Philly Push is unstoppable.  It just is and from what we saw on the preceding drive, we were not stopping the run at all.  We take an unnecessary time out.  We adjust.  They score.  Having 3 time outs might change the direction of our last drive in the first half.  Not a killer, but it was a dumb call and a waste.

2) Late 4th quarter.  Philly is driving and we are down 6.  AT WORST they go up 9 which means it will be a 2 SCORE GAME.  They get the big run to take them to the 4 with 4:30 left. They had ran up 200 yards on us running, they are getting in regardless how much we hope they won't.  Why not just let them in?  They get a TD it's still a two score game, you need two possessions which means you need more time than anything.  We waste a time out.  Philly scores on the next play.  WTF

After the last Philly TD, we could have had the ball with 4 minutes plus and 3 time outs.  A quick drive and score would give us a chance.  That puts the ball in their hands with 1:10 left.  With 3 timeouts there is NO WAY we are kicking an onside kick.  With 3 time outs we would have had the chance to get stop them on a 3 and out (which we did) and forcing them to punt from deep in their own territory.  

This would have given the offense anywhere to 45 to maybe 50 seconds left, no time outs, but we could have had 65 yards to drive.  That's a chance to win.  That was a coaching self inflicted wound.  

I don't understand our running plays in short yardage (last year and this year).  I don't understand our timeout strategy at all.   When you are playing top teams in their house, most cylinders need to be firing.  The coaches are there to overcome and adjust, not to shoot the other foot off.

Am I crazy or is the jury still out on KOC?

[Image: ud0injs25qy1.jpeg]

Other then being a Vikings fan you’re not crazy…  B) 

hung jury

with number 2, “why not let them in” is a valid point, however ANYTHING can happen on any given play, botch the snap, fumble, throw a pick, sack, have a touchback .....oh wait thats US.

nevermind

Quote: @"Vanguard83" said:
with number 2, “why not let them in” is a valid point, however ANYTHING can happen on any given play, botch the snap, fumble, throw a pick, sack, have a touchback .....oh wait thats US.

nevermind
IMO, Let the in is along the same lines as dont score, it doesn't make sense in a conventional way of thinking about the game,,  but its a calculated clock management tool based on odds.  Kind of like trading off aging players or ones that don't fit what your doing to get better or more draft capital,  its a short term head scratcher,  but odds would suggest in the long game it will benefit the team.