Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Record Deal on the Table for JJ?
Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
Never trade 1 in the hand for 2 in the bush.

What if you like a big beautiful bush?

Quote: @"AGRforever" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
Never trade 1 in the hand for 2 in the bush.

What if you like a big beautiful bush?
[Image: barbara-bush-5-2000-083fc8d1aae34691bcb2...3e3bc1.jpg]

It would have to be a damn good QB prospect,  but a JJ wont do much good if we dont get the QB situation resolved.  So,  if the compensation justifies it,  yes,  JJ could be on the table,  but his value right would have to be equal to at least 2 first rounders based on his age and accomplishments to date,  not to mention his rookie contract status which creates more cap flexibility for what ever team.  I wouldnt lead with him as part of the offer,  but for the right QB prospect,  he wouldnt be off the table.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
It would have to be a damn good QB prospect,  but a JJ wont do much good if we dont get the QB situation resolved.  So,  if the compensation justifies it,  yes,  JJ could be on the table,  but his value right would have to be equal to at least 2 first rounders based on his age and accomplishments to date,  not to mention his rookie contract status which creates more cap flexibility for what ever team.  I wouldnt lead with him as part of the offer,  but for the right QB prospect,  he wouldnt be off the table.
Hey, I have been all in on drafting a QB high for years but for me JJ is off the table.  

Quote: @"minny65" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
Hey, I have been all in on drafting a QB high for years but for me JJ is off the table.  

Yep....If you're going to start a rookie QB, he's more likely to succeed with elite talent behind him.

Quote: @"Knucklehead" said:
@"minny65" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:

Yep....If you're going to start a rookie QB, he's more likely to succeed with elite talent behind him.
Or in front of him Wink

Quote: @"minny65" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
I go along with that,  but we also could use an influx of talent at a lot of other positions that would benefit from those first round picks.  JJ is a blast to watch and is certainly one of the premier WR in the game, but look at the WR talent that has been coming out the last few years,  a top tier WR is not the unicorn they once were,  so if I had to choose between giving up 3 firsts to move up,  or JJ and 1 first and maybe get something in return,  I am likely moving JJ if I have no other moves.  The QB is the key,  after that I think IDL becomes the next most important piece and we certainly need to make some investments there as well and drafting them seems to be about the best way to fill those roles.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"minny65" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
I go along with that,  but we also could use an influx of talent at a lot of other positions that would benefit from those first round picks.  JJ is a blast to watch and is certainly one of the premier WR in the game, but look at the WR talent that has been coming out the last few years,  a top tier WR is not the unicorn they once were,  so if I had to choose between giving up 3 firsts to move up,  or JJ and 1 first and maybe get something in return,  I am likely moving JJ if I have no other moves.  The QB is the key,  after that I think IDL becomes the next most important piece and we certainly need to make some investments there as well and drafting them seems to be about the best way to fill those roles.
I think if you’re talking about spending 3 firsts to move up
to draft a QB you’re doing it wrong. 
Even the surest can’t miss prospects are probably 50-50 chances for busting
vs being a competent starter, and even less likely to be that SB caliber guy
you are looking for.  Wait for a guy you
like to fall to somewhere that’s within reach of a reasonable trade.  Then go get your guy.  Then do it again the next time a guy you like
is available.  What fucks teams over is
going all in on a guy, having it fail and then having so much invested in that
one guy, that they wait 5+ years to try again. 
Putting all your eggs in one basket that has a high percent chance to
fail is a bad strategy.  Being forced to
resign your Derek Carr’s of the world to a massive contract because you don’t
have another guy in the pipeline is also a bad strategy.

Quote: @"medaille" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"minny65" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
I think if you’re talking about spending 3 firsts to move up
to draft a QB you’re doing it wrong. 
Even the surest can’t miss prospects are probably 50-50 chances for busting
vs being a competent starter, and even less likely to be that SB caliber guy
you are looking for.  Wait for a guy you
like to fall to somewhere that’s within reach of a reasonable trade.  Then go get your guy.  Then do it again the next time a guy you like
is available.  What fucks teams over is
going all in on a guy, having it fail and then having so much invested in that
one guy, that they wait 5+ years to try again. 
Putting all your eggs in one basket that has a high percent chance to
fail is a bad strategy.  Being forced to
resign your Derek Carr’s of the world to a massive contract because you don’t
have another guy in the pipeline is also a bad strategy.

if we keep fucking around with a "competitive rebuild" instead of just moving our aging assets for what we can get,  and then maybe talking a down year for positioning and to reset the cap,  then you are likely looking at 3 to get to where you get a shot at anybody decent.  Unless you think you are smarter than all the other GMs in the league,  because they are going to be taking the top 2- 3 QBs off the board inside the top 7 most years.  waiting for a guy to fall gets you a justin fields, or other that in the end typically is taken to soon even after they drop.  I have more issue with trying to outsmart the rest of the league and eating the scraps year after year,  than identifying a guy the really like and just making a move.  anybody can play the long game and hope they find lightning in a bottle,  but is that what we are paying a GM and scouting dept for?