Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's going on at ILB?
Monday
#Vikings training camp recap, Day 10 Brian Asamoah is everywhere
@vikesinsider LB Brian Asamoah is flying all over the field. He has had multiple sacks today (11 on 11's).
Tuesday
- Ivan Pace Jr. got more reps with the 1s (Brian Asamoah spent the night watching from the sidelines)

So what's going on? I think the Vikings know what they have in Pace and want to get him as many reps with the 1s as possible. But it's interesting they don't seem quite willing to put both youngsters on the field at the same time, always leaving Hicks in maybe as a sort of veteran stabilizer? Sounds like everyone and his brother wants to see Asamoah and Pace together, but that may not be in the cards. Yet. 

Hicks will be calling the defensive schemes on that side of the ball.  The way injuries happen in a 17 game season, they probably want Pace near the same level of play as Asamoah...if needed.

Quote: @"ArizonaViking" said:
Hicks will be calling the defensive schemes on that side of the ball.  The way injuries happen in a 17 game season, they probably want Pace near the same level of play as Asamoah...if needed.
Forgot about calling the plays. That's a good point. 

So Hicks wears the green dot huh?

It's going to take a while for the team to figure out what they have in Pace. I've read where he doesnt shed blockers well, and I have no idea how he can process in between the ears. 

I know Ive posted some stuff here on IPJ (but as a fan) I'm pumping the brakes on the kid this early on. 

LB is a tough position to crack into in the NFL. 

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
So Hicks wears the green dot huh?

It's going to take a while for the team to figure out what they have in Pace. I've read where he doesnt shed blockers well, and I have no idea how he can process in between the ears. 

I know Ive posted some stuff here on IPJ (but as a fan) I'm pumping the brakes on the kid this early on. 

LB is a tough position to crack into in the NFL. 
I think we already know he's going to be an asset in the blitz, coverage and outside run game. What we don't really know is how much of a liability he might be in the inside run game.

I have a hunch he'll light it up in the preseason and then settle into a '22 Asamoah-like role in the regular season, where he gets plenty of situational snaps, but doesn't unseat anyone as a starter until '24. 

Sounds like Pace has great instincts and plays the position correct, but has some trouble related to his size.

Asomoah plays fast, but isn't always in the right gap.