Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WTF... Big Ten
Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
College football has just turned into a huge shit show with NIL and the yearly conference realignments. All about money and not what's in the best interest of the game. All the things that have made college football great are going by the wayside..
kinda like the olympics when they allowed paid pro athletes,  just kind of ruins the appeal.
Exactly. I was reading an article on ESPN where the head coach at Auburn is anxious because he has no idea how his team is going to perform because of transfers and not having adequate time to evaluate said transfers. Rosters change dramatically from year to year and it's free agency all the time. I don't fault the players for chasing money from the highest bidder, but how is that something good for college football? Same with conference realignment and essentially making almost every conference obsolete except for the SEC or the Big Ten? This is where we are at and it's the wild west. 

I'm much less interested in college football now and the "guns for hire" shift the NCAA has allowed 

Quote: @"supafreak84" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
College football has just turned into a huge shit show with NIL and the yearly conference realignments. All about money and not what's in the best interest of the game. All the things that have made college football great are going by the wayside..
kinda like the olympics when they allowed paid pro athletes,  just kind of ruins the appeal.
Exactly. I was reading an article on ESPN where the head coach at Auburn is anxious because he has no idea how his team is going to perform because of transfers and not having adequate time to evaluate said transfers. Rosters change dramatically from year to year and it's free agency all the time. I don't fault the players for chasing money from the highest bidder, but how is that something good for college football? Same with conference realignment and essentially making almost every conference obsolete except for the SEC or the Big Ten? This is where we are at and it's the wild west. 
I would like the NCAA to make a rule,  NIL money or scholarship money,  cant have both,  and if you take the scholarship money you have to agree to stay for 4 years,  and the schools have to guarantee the scholarship regardless of what kind of student or athlete the kid turns out to be.  something needs to be done to try and stabilize the college sports scene.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
I would like the NCAA to make a rule,  NIL money or scholarship money,  cant have both,  and if you take the scholarship money you have to agree to stay for 4 years,  and the schools have to guarantee the scholarship regardless of what kind of student or athlete the kid turns out to be.  something needs to be done to try and stabilize the college sports scene.
Something has to be done. Another idea I heard was players essentially signing contracts on their commitment days to either one, two, three, or four year deals where the scholarship money they receive is conducent on how long they want to sign for. It gives players choice and allows coaches to evaluate their rosters and who they can count on having in future years. Not fair to coaches to be forced to recruit the players on their roster year round 

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:

As Big Ten expands and Pac-12 implodes, a financial reckoning shakes college athleticsOne of the most unintentionally and patently absurd moments in sports history took place two years ago this month in response to a thunderclap that shook college sports.

In a panic move to news that Big 12 standard bearers Texas and Oklahoma were bolting for the SEC, commissioners from the Big Ten, Pac-12 and ACC announced a partnership in solidarity that became known as the "Alliance." The triumvirate professed a desire for stability in a fast-changing climate.
Except, the three conference leaders failed to put whatever they agreed to in writing.
"It's about trust," ACC commissioner Jim Phillips said that day. "We've looked each other in the eye."
That declaration was laugh-out-loud naive, knowing what we knew then and even more so now.
Two years later …
The Big Ten has effectively killed the Pac-12.
The ACC is facing a crisis with nervous and agitated Florida State officials openly discussing defection.
The last vestiges of a Pollyanna notion of tradition and geography providing order in college sports have been sandblasted from existence by the seductive power of TV money. The cannibalism between major conferences has turned the entire enterprise into a real-life game of "Survivor."
It's as if industry leaders are using Gordon Gekko's words as their compass: Greed is good.
The Big Ten (soon-to-be 18) severely wounded the Pac-12 by poaching USC and UCLA last summer. The Big Ten went back for seconds on Friday with the Pac-12 clinging to survival after Colorado, Arizona, Arizona State and Utah shifted their allegiance to the Big 12.
Oregon and Washington wisely accepted the Big Ten's life preserver as the ship sank and will join the league in 2024.
The driving force behind this chaos is money, of course. Those in leadership positions are using three Fs to guide decision-making: Football, Footprint and Finances.
Modern media rights deals have soared so astronomically that if TV executives tell conferences to jump, they'll ask if they should jump off one foot or two.
The gap between the rich (Big Ten and SEC) and less rich (everyone else) has grown so wide in revenue distribution that greed and envy have created a game of musical chairs with schools swapping conferences.
The University of Minnesota provides a snapshot of that changing financial landscape. In the past decade, the rise of revenue from media rights deals and Big Ten profit sharing distributions for bowl games and NCAA tournament appearances in the Gophers athletic department budget has been dramatic.
In 2012 the Gophers reported $25.3 million from those sources, which amounted to 30.3% of total revenue. For 2022, that number was $60.8 million and accounted for 45%.
ESPN projects annual distribution to increase to about $70 million for Big Ten schools that receive a full share under new TV pacts and expanded football playoffs.
Only the SEC resides in that neighborhood financially, leaving other conferences feeling as if they are racing Usain Bolt while carrying a sofa. The financial disparity sparked a rather remarkable edict from Florida State president Richard McCullough, who told his board of trustees that receiving $30 million less annually than the SEC and Big Ten in distribution creates an "existential crisis."
"I believe FSU will have to, at some point, consider very seriously leaving the ACC unless there were a radical change to the revenue distribution," McCullough said.
I have been a proponent of Big Ten expansion primarily because of the novelty and excitement that comes with adding schools with brand names. But it's hard not to feel a little dismayed at how much has changed so quickly and what has been lost in the process.
Long-standing rivalries have ceased. The Big Ten's Midwest footprint now stretches from sea to shining sea, making team travel exponentially more complicated and expensive for schools and time-consuming for student-athletes.
Anyone who doubts that student-athletes will experience more challenges in balancing school and sports in the new Big Ten is being blinded by dollar signs.
It also feels crass to shrug with complete disregard at the destruction of an entire conference. The Pac-12 created its own demise with a series of missteps, and now what becomes of its remaining members is anyone's guess.
Fans will need a flowchart to keep track of and remember all the changes in conference makeup. To think, at some point, Rutgers will play Oregon in a Big Ten football game.
Strange times, indeed. And only the naive believe expansion will stop here at 18 schools.
https://www.startribune.com/big-ten-pac-12-big-12-oregon-washington-gophers-chip-scoggins/600294986/
I saw this column on Saturday.  It's one point of view.  My view is that the biggest challenge in college football is not conference re-alignment, but rather the NIL money that let's the schools with the biggest big money alumni basically underwriting the NIL money to recruit those kids.

One nice thing about college football is that there is a place for any size school.  I have season tickets for the FCS University of Montana Griz football and tailgating there is an art form.  Smaller schools are great, too, like DIII and NAIA schools.  But if you are the size of the University of Minnesota (in terms of enrollment), you either play the FBS game by the new rules or you will be forever wearing cement slippers.

Quote: @"Montana Tom" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

As Big Ten expands and Pac-12 implodes, a financial reckoning shakes college athleticsOne of the most unintentionally and patently absurd moments in sports history took place two years ago this month in response to a thunderclap that shook college sports.

In a panic move to news that Big 12 standard bearers Texas and Oklahoma were bolting for the SEC, commissioners from the Big Ten, Pac-12 and ACC announced a partnership in solidarity that became known as the "Alliance." The triumvirate professed a desire for stability in a fast-changing climate.
Except, the three conference leaders failed to put whatever they agreed to in writing.
"It's about trust," ACC commissioner Jim Phillips said that day. "We've looked each other in the eye."
That declaration was laugh-out-loud naive, knowing what we knew then and even more so now.
Two years later …
The Big Ten has effectively killed the Pac-12.
The ACC is facing a crisis with nervous and agitated Florida State officials openly discussing defection.
The last vestiges of a Pollyanna notion of tradition and geography providing order in college sports have been sandblasted from existence by the seductive power of TV money. The cannibalism between major conferences has turned the entire enterprise into a real-life game of "Survivor."
It's as if industry leaders are using Gordon Gekko's words as their compass: Greed is good.
The Big Ten (soon-to-be 18) severely wounded the Pac-12 by poaching USC and UCLA last summer. The Big Ten went back for seconds on Friday with the Pac-12 clinging to survival after Colorado, Arizona, Arizona State and Utah shifted their allegiance to the Big 12.
Oregon and Washington wisely accepted the Big Ten's life preserver as the ship sank and will join the league in 2024.
The driving force behind this chaos is money, of course. Those in leadership positions are using three Fs to guide decision-making: Football, Footprint and Finances.
Modern media rights deals have soared so astronomically that if TV executives tell conferences to jump, they'll ask if they should jump off one foot or two.
The gap between the rich (Big Ten and SEC) and less rich (everyone else) has grown so wide in revenue distribution that greed and envy have created a game of musical chairs with schools swapping conferences.
The University of Minnesota provides a snapshot of that changing financial landscape. In the past decade, the rise of revenue from media rights deals and Big Ten profit sharing distributions for bowl games and NCAA tournament appearances in the Gophers athletic department budget has been dramatic.
In 2012 the Gophers reported $25.3 million from those sources, which amounted to 30.3% of total revenue. For 2022, that number was $60.8 million and accounted for 45%.
ESPN projects annual distribution to increase to about $70 million for Big Ten schools that receive a full share under new TV pacts and expanded football playoffs.
Only the SEC resides in that neighborhood financially, leaving other conferences feeling as if they are racing Usain Bolt while carrying a sofa. The financial disparity sparked a rather remarkable edict from Florida State president Richard McCullough, who told his board of trustees that receiving $30 million less annually than the SEC and Big Ten in distribution creates an "existential crisis."
"I believe FSU will have to, at some point, consider very seriously leaving the ACC unless there were a radical change to the revenue distribution," McCullough said.
I have been a proponent of Big Ten expansion primarily because of the novelty and excitement that comes with adding schools with brand names. But it's hard not to feel a little dismayed at how much has changed so quickly and what has been lost in the process.
Long-standing rivalries have ceased. The Big Ten's Midwest footprint now stretches from sea to shining sea, making team travel exponentially more complicated and expensive for schools and time-consuming for student-athletes.
Anyone who doubts that student-athletes will experience more challenges in balancing school and sports in the new Big Ten is being blinded by dollar signs.
It also feels crass to shrug with complete disregard at the destruction of an entire conference. The Pac-12 created its own demise with a series of missteps, and now what becomes of its remaining members is anyone's guess.
Fans will need a flowchart to keep track of and remember all the changes in conference makeup. To think, at some point, Rutgers will play Oregon in a Big Ten football game.
Strange times, indeed. And only the naive believe expansion will stop here at 18 schools.
https://www.startribune.com/big-ten-pac-12-big-12-oregon-washington-gophers-chip-scoggins/600294986/
I saw this column on Saturday.  It's one point of view.  My view is that the biggest challenge in college football is not conference re-alignment, but rather the NIL money that let's the schools with the biggest big money alumni basically underwriting the NIL money to recruit those kids.

One nice thing about college football is that there is a place for any size school.  I have season tickets for the FCS University of Montana Griz football and tailgating there is an art form.  Smaller schools are great, too, like DIII and NAIA schools.  But if you are the size of the University of Minnesota (in terms of enrollment), you either play the FBS game by the new rules or you will be forever wearing cement slippers.
Some good points here. What the NIL money will start doing for college football players is they'll stay in school longer because if you are scheduled to go anywhere in rounds 4-6, you could possibly make more NIL money than rookie contract money.