Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cine
Daronte Jones walked through the trainer's room last October to get a bag of ice. What he saw in there stopped him cold.
About 10 days after safety Lewis Cine's bone-breaking, season-ending leg injury, Jones saw him walking — without assistance from anyone or anything.
This couldn't be the plan, Jones thought, so soon after the first-round rookie suffered compound fractures of the tibia and fibula. Wrapping concealed an inch-long gash on the inside of Cine's left leg where bones protruded just a few days earlier, as well as a bigger incision above his knee where surgeons inserted a rod that's with him for life.
Under doctor's orders, Cine took the new hardware for a test drive — a week after surgery — when his position coach walked in.
"I'm like, 'Lew, what are you doing? Where are your crutches?' " Jones said. "He's like, 'Nah, nah, Coach, they told me I'm OK.' I'm like, 'Dude, you're not supposed to be off crutches this fast.' "
"It was too fast for me," Jones added. "I was about to call everybody."
Nearly nine months later, Vikings training camp will begin with rookies reporting to Eagan on Sunday and veterans on Tuesday. Cine will be there, ready to run again.
The first practice open to fans is Saturday, when Cine's impressive recovery will come into full view. The hard-hitting safety was a participant in spring workouts. He's healthy, ready to earn NFL stripes and eager to show that his time away was spent growing as a person and player.
"It's mind-blowing," said special teams coordinator Matt Daniels, who suffered a similar injury as a Rams safety in 2013. "It's more of a mental block than it is a physical block, and I think he has surpassed that mental block because of how he trained and rehabbed his way back. He has that supreme confidence back in him and he's out there flying around."
Cine grinned when revealing he could walk unsupported a week after surgery — three weeks earlier than when he made headlines for walking past reporters for the first time.
"No crutches, no boot," Cine said. "Once I could flex my muscles, it was, 'Get up and walk.' It was, 'Lazarus, get up and walk.' My first couple steps were like a waddle, and once I could raise my feet up it was a walk."
https://www.startribune.com/minnesota-vikings-lewis-cine-broken-leg/600291422/

How Cine fits into coordinator Brian Flores' defense remains to be seen.Metellus, and starting safeties Harrison Smith and Camryn Bynum, are among the most established in a retooled secondary. Cine was injured on his 34th special teams snap last year, when he saw just two snaps as a backup defender over two-plus games.
But what separates Cine, the leading tackler for the 2021 national champion Bulldogs, is obvious when he's on the field.
"Speed," Jones said. "When he sees it, he goes. He put his speed on tape. So, the more we can put him in situations where he can let that speed show, because it is different — it shows."
Cine likes that Flores' defense isn't "cookie cutter." Defensive backs and linebackers have talked up the density and versatility of the playbook. Players are taught how to align, read and cover from various positions, meaning a starter needs to be comfortable in multiple spots.
During Cine's first reps back on the field this spring, he mostly stayed back at free and strong safety. Smith and Bynum started, while Metellus got more first-team reps in slot defender and linebacker-area duties. Coaches narrowed Cine's focus early.
Cine said he's focused on the playbook as well as embracing a better diet and recovery routine.
"I know myself," he said. "I know what I can do. I know the things I can accomplish as long as I'm healthy. I'm making treatment and recovery, all that, priority number one."
He wants to cherish as many on-field moments as possible. Cine said he's also still staring down a dream he's had since he was a kid searching for online highlights of hard-hitting safeties.
"Selfishly, I want to be the best," Cine said. "I'm chasing guys like Ed Reed, chasing guys like Sean Taylor, chasing the greats of the game, you know? It's a very big leap to say it, but those are my goals. Those are the guys I'm chasing."
https://www.startribune.com/minnesota-vikings-lewis-cine-broken-leg/600291422/

How about he just starts off chasing Josh Mattelus and Cam Bynum, who continue to be ahead of him on the depth chart? 

Quote: @"supafreak84" said:
How about he just starts off chasing Josh Mattelus and Cam Bynum, who continue to be ahead of him on the depth chart? 

Yeah and if that's what he said in the interview, would you have said "What a great pick, Kwesi chose a guy that aspires to high standards"?

Now, now...

Lets all "dig down deep" and find that eternal optimism we had in our 20's  :p

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
Now, now...

Lets all "dig down deep" and find that eternal optimism we all had in our 20's  :p

Cmon, I've been on the road for six weeks and am a bit antsy to get some kids back on the sidewalk and off my FRICKEN lawn. Wink

Quote: @"BigAl99" said:
@"supafreak84" said:

Yeah and if that's what he said in the interview, would you have said "What a great pick, Kwesi chose a guy that aspires to high standards"?
First things first...

He is speaking it into existence. He busted his ass since the injury. I am rooting for him

He's got the physical talent, we'll see if he can make the grade mentally in this defense.